Those who waiting Xin amp, post and get your date of arrival !
Aug 30, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #288 of 3,962
djbnh: June 14th
Slappy: June 15th (CC charged on 15th July)
Comfycan: June 17th
Skev13: June 22nd (got the shipping notice on 27th July)
GreatDane: June 29 (shipping notice on Aug. 23)
robster: June 30 (Got an email for shipping within this week)
Kaushama:July 5th
Kugino:july 5th
883dave: July 7th
Nick Christy: July 11th
aluren: July 13
dslknight: July 20
Vorlon1: July 22
airbender :smIV for upgrade: july 25 (shipping notice: august 28)
stevenkelby:July 29
mrarroyo: August 6.

It seems new amps are made after all amps upgraded.
plainface.gif

Goto So the final configuration shipped is your suggestion or XIN's Last edition?

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #289 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama
djbnh: June 14th
Slappy: June 15th (CC charged on 15th July)
Comfycan: June 17th
Skev13: June 22nd (got the shipping notice on 27th July)
GreatDane: June 29 (shipping notice on Aug. 23)
robster: June 30 (Got an email for shipping within this week)
Kaushama:July 5th
Kugino:july 5th
883dave: July 7th
Nick Christy: July 11th
aluren: July 13
dslknight: July 20
Vorlon1: July 22
airbender :smIV for upgrade: july 25 (shipping notice: august 28)
stevenkelby:July 29
mrarroyo: August 6.

It seems new amps are made after all amps upgraded.
plainface.gif

Goto So the final configuration shipped is your suggestion or XIN's Last edition?

Kaushama,

Yeah i noticed that. It seems backward to me that those who are paying for their amps (or paid for in my case as i used paypal) are waiting for free upgrades to be completed. IN some cases free upgrades that were sent in weeks later.

Go figure.

blink.gif

Nick

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #290 of 3,962
i guess its easier to upgrade existing amps and implement new parts on the board than to make new amps... so maybe sending amps back for upgrading wouldn't take that long after all, since obviously dr. xin is making that a priority over new orders.

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #291 of 3,962
Every dark cloud has a silver lining in it!!!

dark cloud> Quote:

Finally received my updated SM4 today. 10 minutes later I read my email and read a message saying to send it back again.

drew: XIN Forum

Silver Lining > Quote:

I think with the last minutes tweaks, the stability was improved yet slightly compromised in sq; but I have to admitt that it sounds really great though. At first I thought it didn't sound good was because there's a tiny solder residue between two traces. After cleaning it up, it sounded good to me.

GOTO2003 : XIN Forum

So those who got them recently, is it "resend time"??? Or only Drew had a specific problem? We will wait and see!!!!
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #292 of 3,962
I haven't encountered instability issue without these last minute tweaks and compromise in sq seems too costy as I could feel the sound with these tweaks was inferior to that without them, not just sounding differently, a big compromise to me. Of course, I may have been too critical on this
lambda.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #293 of 3,962
GOTO, Suddenly you seem to be unhappy about the SQ of final configuration! Is it a major downgrade? I think there should be a right balance between stability and SQ. Afterall most of us will never try to roll and tweak the amps with all the opamps under the sun!

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #294 of 3,962
As mentioned before, I have yet to tweak a SM IV offers better sound than my combo that's too bulky to carry around. Isn't it evil of upgraditis?
tongue.gif
Without the newest tweaks, it sounded close enough to my combo, but not better. When Xin told me the tweaks, as always, I was excited to try them out; but it turned out to be a downgrade in sound. Yes, I am unhappy with these new tweaks, but happy with the music from the combo all the time, a big comfort to me though
600smile.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #295 of 3,962
goto, have you made noises to Xin re your unhappiness? What has he said in his defence? What now is different from the previous Xin Mk IV amps, what has changed?
It's a noticeable downgrade to your ears, but would those that have never had/heard a Xin amp before be dissapointed in the sound output? I'm worried that living in the UK, shipping an amp back and forth (when I finally receive it) will be timely and costly if it needs tweaking again.
I was excited that the Xin production line had started moving again, but now I'm not so sure... $350 is expensive for an amp that may not be sonically 100% to Xin's confidants.

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #296 of 3,962
goto, i thought you didn't like the new tweak because there was some dust in a certain part in your amp and that once you cleaned it up, the new tweak does in fact sound better...

Aug 31, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #297 of 3,962
It's true. SM IV sounded not right to me at the begining and it's until yesterday that I found there's solder residue on it. After cleaning it off, it's much better, but still not as good as without these new tweaks. Xin knew it and hope he could have a better solution shortly.

Aug 31, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #298 of 3,962
But you seem to be quite dissatisfied! As you said
Quote:

imho, SR71 is a safe bite in the "best sounding league".

in Bigger rivals to SMIV thread. With all tweaks and channel IV technique you Still think SR-71 is better????

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #299 of 3,962
SR71 is a great sounding portable, same as SM IV's. I am reluctant to compare the two given the continuing changes in SM IV. Unless Xin fixes his design, it's unlikely to have a conclusion. In addition, there's are many other factors other than sound to define which one is "better"; Finally, everyone has his/her own preference in sound, which making the comparison more difficult. just my two cents.

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #300 of 3,962
Goto, can you identify all the necessary mods that makes supermacro IV sounds best as you perceived? I remember at a certain point you thought the tweaks are really worth it. Maybe we can ask Dr. Xin to do limited tweaks and leave the unnecessary ones out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back