Those who waiting Xin amp, post and get your date of arrival !
Nov 10, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #1,996 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiezan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does a corda move compare to a reference?
I'm thinking about a refund and switching orders.

I had the opportunity to listen to HiFlight's early September Reference and the Move. I preferred the Reference by a good margin. However that is w/ my ears and gear. You and others could come up w/ totally different results.

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #1,997 of 3,962
Maybe this is something of Dr. Xin's hertiage in that he is Chinese I think so think loooong term and learn patience.

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #1,998 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the opportunity to listen to HiFlight's early September Reference and the Move. I preferred the Reference by a good margin. However that is w/ my ears and gear. You and others could come up w/ totally different results.

Miguel, your ears are probably accurate in deciphering the sound and the relative SQ. Meier's Move is not superb (missing lots of detail relative to other amps) - after all he's working with the AD 8610/20 series and they are far from spectacular in terms of detail; they are however tonally enjoyable.

Everyone else, look at my sig and see my gear. The way I logicized it - I've lost my macros to Xin 4 repair and/or upgrade before and it cost me $50 in shipping + 3 months going ampless. I could do that with my previous portable gear, but not with an iMod; if something goes wrong with my move, I can either repair it myself or the good Dr. will turn my repair around in a few weeks tops! To own a Xin amp in a way necessitates having a backup spare amp and that is an expense I can't afford/justify. And, FWIW, my macro IV never sounded superb enough to justify the extra cost. For truly mind-blowing sound, I have my home gear. When I start travelling for work like crazy, I'll take a trip to Oregon and drop by the good Dr.'s house.

Nov 10, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #1,999 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel, your ears are probably accurate in deciphering the sound and the relative SQ. Meier's Move is not superb (missing lots of detail relative to other amps) - after all he's working with the AD 8610/20 series and they are far from spectacular in terms of detail; they are however tonally enjoyable.

Everyone else, look at my sig and see my gear. The way I logicized it - I've lost my macros to Xin 4 repair and/or upgrade before and it cost me $50 in shipping + 3 months going ampless. I could do that with my previous portable gear, but not with an iMod; if something goes wrong with my move, I can either repair it myself or the good Dr. will turn my repair around in a few weeks tops! To own a Xin amp in a way necessitates having a backup spare amp and that is an expense I can't afford/justify. And, FWIW, my macro IV never sounded superb enough to justify the extra cost. For truly mind-blowing sound, I have my home gear. When I start travelling for work like crazy, I'll take a trip to Oregon and drop by the good Dr.'s house.

You probably have read this but there are two amps out there that IMO are just amazing and sound better than amps costing over twice as much. The two jewels are the MiniBox-E and the Mini^3. If you have a chance to listen to either I think you will be amazed at their sound.
icon10.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #2,000 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably have read this but there are two amps out there that IMO are just amazing and sound better than amps costing over twice as much. The two jewels are the MiniBox-E and the Mini^3. If you have a chance to listen to either I think you will be amazed at their sound.
icon10.gif

Thanks M. It's a little early to let this cat out of the bag, but whatever. If my partner and I can finally get our KICAS (see sig) released, and if people take to it, we will continue work on taking Xin head-on with a portable, fully discrete AND class-A portable amp.
eek.gif
We've started working on it, and it's a ways to go, but rest assured we'll send you and Rob one each to demo and review when the time comes. Vive la revolution audie!
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Since all you Xin lovers are experts at waiting, this little leak should send you all drooling and speculating, LOL.
cool.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #2,001 of 3,962
Why don't you guys who are canceling their order at least wait out the thanksgiving deadline he stated somewhere?
Now I don't know how well the good doc is at keeping deadlines, but since he actually gave one, I don't see the harm in waiting a few more weeks when you've waited months already.

Nov 10, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #2,002 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you guys who are canceling their order at least wait out the thanksgiving deadline he stated somewhere?
Now I don't know how well the good doc is at keeping deadlines, but since he actually gave one, I don't see the harm in waiting a few more weeks when you've waited months already.

Personally, I'm thinking over the amp's lifespan and requirements. Xin amps need a backup and take forever to return from repair/upgrade.

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #2,003 of 3,962
Quote:

Thanks M. It's a little early to let this cat out of the bag, but whatever. If my partner and I can finally get our KICAS (see sig) released, and if people take to it, we will continue work on taking Xin head-on with a portable, fully discrete AND class-A portable amp.
eek.gif
We've started working on it, and it's a ways to go, but rest assured we'll send you and Rob one each to demo and review when the time comes. Vive la revolution audie!
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Since all you Xin lovers are experts at waiting, this little leak should send you all drooling and speculating, LOL.
cool.gif

Je suis d'accord! Vive la revolution!
icon10.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #2,004 of 3,962
A small discrete amp would be nice. With the smd in all areas, this should finally be obtainable. I look forward as I am not hearing any further great leaps with opamp based amps at this time.

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #2,007 of 3,962
So what is the latest on the reference. Is anyone getting them and are they good. I know the initial prototypes were highly regarded but since then it seems like no one is talking about them. Is that cause they are not as good as we hoped or because no one has one?

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #2,008 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A small discrete amp would be nice. With the smd in all areas, this should finally be obtainable. I look forward as I am not hearing any further great leaps with opamp based amps at this time.

Agreed. Let's remember that the supermicro and the reference sound the way they do b/c Xin is using MOSFET chips as replacements for op-amps.

As far as the size and the obtainability of portable discreets, so far I've tried to convince my partner (circuit designer) to fit everything into the Hammond case used to house the mini^3 and the supermacro. He insists that it's not possible due to the SMT cap sizes; worst case scenario, we're likely looking at a case the size of the pint, but let's see what happens...

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #2,009 of 3,962
Quote:

.... possible due to the SMT cap sizes; worst case scenario, we're likely looking at a case the size of the pint, but let's see what happens...

An amp with a fabulous sound, & is reasonably priced, will always sell regardless of size (e.g. the Lisa III). So by all means, design that amp to sing.

It'll be righteous if you'd name your amps as 'Sin Amp'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back