This wire for headphones
Sep 24, 2010 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jschristian44

Member of the Trade: Justin's Headphone Modding
CAUTION: Incomplete trades
This type of wire can be used for headphones right?  It seems none of my headphones want to work with it when I rewire them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400154491708&ssPageName=STRK:MEBDIX:IT

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 27
how comes none of my headphones want to work with it?  ive wired a pair of hd555 up with it the same way i used navships and i get no sound from either earpiece on the earcup.  the only conclusions i can come to is that the plug i had i forgot to put the cover on first so i desoldered it and soldered it back on.  that is my first guess but when i opened it up it looked fine.  then i thought to check on the wire and it seems that the guy never says this wire can be used for audio.  what do you think is the problem?

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 27
dont know how to use a multimeter.  it is a lot harder than the other wire i got, because it has more strands in it.  but it looks like regular wire which is why i think its just hobby wire to connect lights or something, not audio wire.  or is it all universal?  im just trying to understand why these phones wont play any sound and my other pair worked fine.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 27
i have a very hard time believing its the headphones.  i was super careful with these because they were not my own.  i burned the board, dropped the drivers at least 3-4 feet on my own set and it worked fine the first time.  it really makes me think its the wire.  on the site it says for marines or hobbyists.  hobbyists is what i thought was audio, but now that i think of it, i think its just for wire projects like lighting up a light bulbs or for crafts, i dont think its meant for audio.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 27
As many folks in the DIY forums can attest, navships wire works perfectly well for audio, amongst other purposes. Wire doesn't just "not work" for audio; you could, perhaps uncomfortably, use coat hangers if you'd like.

Quote:
well you had to have wired it wrong or killed your headphones go buy a multimeter find the ohm setting and check the drivers.

Seconded.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 27
i really have a hard time believing i damaged the drivers.  i burned and dropped my drivers of the same headphones and they worked for me the first time.  i was extra careful with mine and i was 10x extra careful with these so that is out of the question.  this wire feels like coat hangers actually, just a little more flexible but not by much.  i really think it is the wiring.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 27

Quote:
As many folks in the DIY forums can attest, navships wire works perfectly well for audio, amongst other purposes. Wire doesn't just "not work" for audio; you could, perhaps uncomfortably, use coat hangers if you'd like.

Seconded.

also, this wire i didnt get from navships.  i got it at this link if you look at it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400154491708&ssPageName=STRK:MEBDIX:IT

and i know the navships wire works well because thats what i used for my own headphones and like i said they worked great teh first time i hooked it up.  but now i have experience and everything and they dont work.  it has to be the wire...

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 27
Yes, the wire could be bad and it might not have connection from one end of the wire to another. In that case, with a multimeter, you could ask the seller for a refund. You wanted wire and assumed it could conduct electricity.

It could just as well be that you melted a driver or wired the headphones wrong. It's going to be impossible to tell without getting a multimeter, and asserting that it's the wire without the multimeter is tantamount to libel.

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 27
well this seller is very hard to deal with and i got an excellent deal on the wire.  i got 50 2 stranded feet so 100 single feet in all for like 17 dollars with free shipping.  being that cheap, i bet the wire is just horrible.  im gonna order the star quad cable above.  do you think this should be good, its what most people use here.  and no i didnt wire them wrong, i wired my own pair the exact same way and they worked fine.  im making a headphone extension cable with this wire and if that doesnt work, then i know its the wire.  i dont know how to use or want to buy a multimeter.

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 27
no more worries, i tested a headphone extension cable on them and it works great.  i knew it was the wire.  i was like 75 percent sure it was.  but anyways now i know it was the wire.  i should have known 100 feet for 17 bucks was a rip off

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 27
Without a multimeter to verify, you'll never really know what was the root cause
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back