This wire for headphones
Sep 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
Without a multimeter to verify, you'll never really know what was the root cause
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//tongue.gif" title="
tongue.gif
" width="" />

good 1

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
no more worries, i tested a headphone extension cable on them and it works great.  i knew it was the wire.  i was like 75 percent sure it was.  but anyways now i know it was the wire.  i should have known 100 feet for 17 bucks was a rip off

That's why we use a multimeter to check for continuity... You probably just had a break in that section of wire if that was your problem at all.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #23 of 27
^Which is why he said there was probably a break in the wire. Wire doesn't have to be described as "audio wire" for it to work with headphones. It just has to conduct electricity.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #24 of 27
what do you mean by break?  how comes none of that wire worked but this headphone extension cable wire worked with everything ive tested it with.  trust me, that wire was for something else.  what wire could i get to rewire headphones.  i know navships wire works great but is there anything from markertek.com that will work great universally for interconnects as well as rewiring headphones?  Id like something within the 22-24 awg range.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #25 of 27
You risk damaging your equipment if you do not check your re-wiring efforts with an ohm meter or muli-meter.  You need to check for (a) unwanted short circuits, and (b) unexpected open circuits due to lack of continuity ("breaks").

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #26 of 27
Take the assumed bad section of wire to Radio Shack and they will do a continuity check for you with a multimeter.  You can do it yourself with a battery and a LED or a small bulb.  You can even use a 9v Battery and your tongue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back