This time it's WAR against negligent cat owners in my Condo Complex!
Dec 16, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #76 of 84
If you haven't already, I would file a complaint to the HOA about the cats. Based on what you've said, it seems as if keeping cats outside violates some provisions of the HOA agreement (feeding animals outside).

I don't think you need to worry about evidence just yet, but it couldn't hurt to collect it. It sounds like it's a pretty wide spread problem.

If you don't hear anything in a couple of weeks, send another letter, hand deliver it if need be, and be sure to keep copies.

If they don't take any action, then there are other options. But for now, this is what I would do.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #77 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
If you haven't already, I would file a complaint to the HOA about the cats. Based on what you've said, it seems as if keeping cats outside violates some provisions of the HOA agreement (feeding animals outside).

I don't think you need to worry about evidence just yet, but it couldn't hurt to collect it. It sounds like it's a pretty wide spread problem.

If you don't hear anything in a couple of weeks, send another letter, hand deliver it if need be, and be sure to keep copies.

If they don't take any action, then there are other options. But for now, this is what I would do.

I went to an HOA meeting today, there is a major miscommunication problem with just about everything. And when I say miscommunication, I mean, you file complaints, make phone calls, no one listens. Personally harass the board members, and then there are results. It's really stupid. The cat problem is way down the list of priorities. There has been a lot of water damage and toxic mold problems in several people's units. There were a lot of pissed off people, and one resident has already filed a lawsuit against the HOA. So, yeah, the cat problem is really nothing compared to the other problems. I find it infuriating that the HOA has found the time to harass me about my dog, and they aren't doing jack s**t about people that are essentially homeless right now.
rolleyes.gif

But, yeah, I'll be patient. Gather evidence, and research Municipal laws, etc.

-Ed

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #78 of 84
As we don't have a cat or dog our front garden used to be the local cat toilet. We tried lot's of powders and gels etc but the solution that has been working now for around 10 months is a simple high-frequency gizmo.

It runs off 2 9v batteries or psu and has a 'pir' (passive infrared) activator and sinc eit was installed we've had nothing to clean up. Really impressed and it only cost around £20 ($35).

Supposedly emits an annoying noise that animals can hear but have had no complaints from neighbours who have dogs. My guess is that it plays Barry Manilow songs at high pitch
biggrin.gif

Subject to where you little doggie goes you could get one and switch it on when he's in his basket and keep the night cats away.

Steve

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #79 of 84
There usually are strata bylaws against letting animals run free (don't know if you call them Stratas stateside). So they must respond to a written complaint. You may need evidence (photo of said cat running free). If not then live traps and a drop off at the humane society (this cat was on my property). Usually humane societies need a donation to get your animal back and they will neuter it for the owner (at a charge) before returning it. Now Los Angeles may be different but I bet they get money for returning the cats. Cats do not need to run free and I have had neighbours cats come in my house to check out my pet rats so I feel your pain.

Conversly if your neighbours say you are doing wrong they should provide evidence (photos, sworn statements) that you did so. Just making the complaint and getting a letter sent sounds like council cronieism.

good luck.

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #80 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I went to an HOA meeting today, there is a major miscommunication problem with just about everything. And when I say miscommunication, I mean, you file complaints, make phone calls, no one listens. Personally harass the board members, and then there are results. It's really stupid. The cat problem is way down the list of priorities. There has been a lot of water damage and toxic mold problems in several people's units. There were a lot of pissed off people, and one resident has already filed a lawsuit against the HOA. So, yeah, the cat problem is really nothing compared to the other problems. I find it infuriating that the HOA has found the time to harass me about my dog, and they aren't doing jack s**t about people that are essentially homeless right now.
rolleyes.gif

But, yeah, I'll be patient. Gather evidence, and research Municipal laws, etc.

-Ed

so let me get this straight....

water damage
mold toxicity
cat excrement on the balconies
dog feces in the garbage

dude, you're living in a slum.
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #81 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Personally harass the board members, and then there are results.

I've been on my condo board for about seventeen years, with several terms as president and what appears to be a semi-permanent appointment as treasurer (nobody else is willing to do it
tongue.gif
).

The people on the Board are volunteers. Nobody pays them to be there. If there's an issue with pets, start a pet committee. If you appear to be someone with common sense, the Board will be grateful that there's someone to take that issue off their hands. If the documents allow changing the Rules and Regulations, come up with something that will meet the needs of the Association and is not in conflict with local or state law, and bring it back to the Board.

I can tell you from long personal experience what happens when someone personally harrasses Board members. You get the letter of the law, as it were (if the Board is competent), but that's it. Sometimes there are possible solutions that are not strictly speaking under the letter of the condo documents, but an interested Board member knows ways to get things done. A pissed-off Board will only give you exactly what you're legally entitled to, nothing more. The Board member is likely to be thinking something like "I don't get paid enough to listen to this, particularly since I don't get paid at all". Once you get put into the Board's "idiot" file (it's not written, but a good Board knows who the loonies are), your chances of getting something done within the Association are almost nil. It may look like someone who is harrassing Board members gets results. Guess again. It may also look like someone who presents a reasonable case it not getting anything done, when in fact people are trying to sort it out in committee meetings, or through the condo management rather than in open session, where it's usually a waste of time.

None of this matters if the Board is not competent to do the job. At that point, it's every owner for himself. First priority should be to install a competent Board.

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #82 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
I've been on my condo board for about seventeen years, with several terms as president and what appears to be a semi-permanent appointment as treasurer (nobody else is willing to do it
tongue.gif
).

The people on the Board are volunteers. Nobody pays them to be there. If there's an issue with pets, start a pet committee. If you appear to be someone with common sense, the Board will be grateful that there's someone to take that issue off their hands. If the documents allow changing the Rules and Regulations, come up with something that will meet the needs of the Association and is not in conflict with local or state law, and bring it back to the Board.

I can tell you from long personal experience what happens when someone personally harrasses Board members. You get the letter of the law, as it were (if the Board is competent), but that's it. Sometimes there are possible solutions that are not strictly speaking under the letter of the condo documents, but an interested Board member knows ways to get things done. A pissed-off Board will only give you exactly what you're legally entitled to, nothing more. The Board member is likely to be thinking something like "I don't get paid enough to listen to this, particularly since I don't get paid at all". Once you get put into the Board's "idiot" file (it's not written, but a good Board knows who the loonies are), your chances of getting something done within the Association are almost nil. It may look like someone who is harrassing Board members gets results. Guess again. It may also look like someone who presents a reasonable case it not getting anything done, when in fact people are trying to sort it out in committee meetings, or through the condo management rather than in open session, where it's usually a waste of time.

None of this matters if the Board is not competent to do the job. At that point, it's every owner for himself. First priority should be to install a competent Board.

By "personally harass" I mean, constantly calling/emailing the board. The office staff is useless, so going through the official channels doesn't work. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

After they fix the water damage issues (which is really bad), I will bring up some solutions for the Dog poop "problems". The real problem is other negligent owners that don't pick up after them. (I find this ironic since they are going after me, falsely claiming I actually used a garbage can to throw it away, imagine that) I would have been better off just not picking it up. Of course, they would probably make the false claim anyways, so it really doesn't matter that I take the effort to bring the dog poop home and flush it. It just pisses me off because I'm being warned for doing something that would actually be an improvement of what others are doing.
rolleyes.gif

A previous condo complex I lived in had small, red garbage cans that were staked into the ground all over the grounds, and were meant for dog poop disposal. It worked great. I am going to recommend something like this.

But I have no idea what would be a good compromise with the cats. Letting them run free is not working, and I really don't see how it can be anything but all or nothing on this one.

-Ed

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #83 of 84
Cats are not meant to run free, especially in an apartment complex. You will never see wild housecat populations except around areas where humans are. They are inside creatures. Being a cat owner, I hate people that do that. Cats who live outside have an average lifespan of 5-7 years. My cats live for 20.

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #84 of 84
I obviously don't condone kidnapping the cats and locking them up, but my thought is that if they don't have a dog collar (edit: or a microchip) then they are technically strays and could be impounded. It would be up to the owner to realize they're missing and to go look for them.
Will it save my dog from kidnapping??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back