This time it's WAR against negligent cat owners in my Condo Complex!
Dec 16, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #61 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I think the people who posted in this thread suggesting harming animals (and seemingly relishing the thought) are pretty sick and pathetic people with some serious "issues".
mad.gif

I also disagree very very strongly with "trapping" animals and having them taken away to be euthanized. Again, this is a cuel solution that punishes the animal which is doing nothing but being an animal. If a neighbor of mine tried to do that with one of my pets (though they never go outside), that neighbor would be in danger of serious physical harm-- from me! It would escalate to a VERY serious situation, you do NOT mess with people's animals like that. I think that's very bad advice and sure to only result in your having blood enemies among your neighbors. You think you have problems with them now, just wait...

if you dont have respect for other people why should the beasts get more respect(not you personally but the owners of these cats)..look at what havoc this is causing our beloved edwood. then i am ok with buying a bb gun and plinking away. this will teach the mangy creatures to stay off the property without causing great harm. i dealt with a beloved neighbors nasty cats poop and smell for 3 freaking years and the only reason i didnt put a bb in the cat was cause my wife really got along with the neighbor and she would have been pissed if i shot her cats but why cant she understand i dont want to smell her cats ass when i come home from work??????

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #62 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
if you dont have respect for other people why should the beasts get more respect(not you personally but the owners of these cats)..look at what havoc this is causing our beloved edwood. then i am ok with buying a bb gun and plinking away. this will teach the mangy creatures to stay off the property without causing great harm. i dealt with a beloved neighbors nasty cats poop and smell for 3 freaking years and the only reason i didnt put a bb in the cat was cause my wife really got along with the neighbor and she would have been pissed if i shot her cats but why cant she understand i dont want to smell her cats ass when i come home from work??????

Please, no more harming of animal comments, joking aside, it just baits the cat lovers into a flame fest.

Now, if it is using something more creative and not harmful (like one of those ring of air guns, or water guns) then post away. Funnier the better.

But also, I'd like helpful advice as well.

Trying to keep an open mind, and thanks again for those that remind me not to take things too seriously, and for actual serious advice. (mind you, I don't personally mind the funny stuff).

I'm wondering if the vinegar thing is working. It's been three days and no cats spraying on the balcony. I really don't want to use a chemical that can be harmful, or smells really bad. I can't personally smell the vinegar, and vinegar is very cheap.

I had tried cleaning with diluted bleach, but that didn't work at all.

-Ed

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #63 of 84
edwood,
in my old place there was a cat named "biggles" who belonged to our neighbors. they treated the poor thing badly and he was always over at our place looking for affection. he was a great moon-faced fuzzball and we loved him.

now in our new place there is a cat who uses our backyard as his litterbox, and likes to stare at us through the windows (creepy). we've seen him spraying stuff on our porch too. he also attacks the window where my iguana roosts, usually pulling the screen off (my iguana actally taunts the cat, parading back and forth on the window sill
tongue.gif
). anyway, the cat is totally unfriendly and so i have no problem with squirting it with my iguana's water sprayer through the screen. this always makes the cat run away, but he always comes back. i'm considering using some anti-cat spray (didn't batman have that on his utility belt?). i wonder if that stuff actually works?

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #64 of 84
redshifter's post reminded me of this. I think there is an odorless spray that it just super-bitter. Cats hate it. You're supposed to put it on stuff you don't want them to eat but I've also noticed they don't like to go near those things either. Maybe try spraying that stuff on your porch for a few weeks and see if it helps. It's not too expensize and like I said it's odorless so it's not like you're really fighting cat urine with tiger urine or whatever.

Just had another idea, have you seen those things you can plug into an outlet that make a high pitched noise to keep mice, insects, etc away? Maybe there's a version for cats.

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #65 of 84
Why not become friends with these cats? These cats like you , put out milk and tuna and catnip and have all the cats on your balcony day and night, then adopt them all...tell all your neighbors "these are my cats" become the cat guy. They will eat and drink on your balcony and **** and pee all over everyone elses property.Watch how fast the neighbors group together a solution. Make it their problem.....you love cats!
In other words people suck

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #66 of 84
As a pet lover with 2 cats and hopefully a dog soon, I feel obliged point out there is a serious health issue related to roaming/feral cats; toxoplasmosis. This is a single cell parasite that is passed to humans usually through contact with cat feces and lodges itself in the human brain. It's a very common and widespread parasite and is usually harmless. However, in certain cases such as with pregnant women and people with immune system problems, toxoplasmosis can get extremely serious. Just a friendly heads up to be careful cleaning up strange cat poo!

here's a link to the CDC info. page:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...oplasmosis.htm

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #67 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by max-9
Why not become friends with these cats? These cats like you , put out milk and tuna and catnip and have all the cats on your balcony day and night, then adopt them all...tell all your neighbors "these are my cats" become the cat guy. They will eat and drink on your balcony and **** and pee all over everyone elses property.Watch how fast the neighbors group together a solution. Make it their problem.....you love cats!

Or just put out a cat litter box
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #68 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by max-9

Well there is that specific HOA rule that prohibits feeding pets (or strays) outside, which includes the balcony.

My smoking neighbor diagonally below feeds them, and they end up hanging out and fighting because of it. They piss and crap all over around their place even more, but they don't seem to mind, afterall, they are attracting them in the first place. So, yeah, I'll be taking pictures of that one.

So, no the "be the cat guy" isn't going to work.

-Ed

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #69 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakey
As a pet lover with 2 cats and hopefully a dog soon, I feel obliged point out there is a serious health issue related to roaming/feral cats; toxoplasmosis. This is a single cell parasite that is passed to humans usually through contact with cat feces and lodges itself in the human brain. It's a very common and widespread parasite and is usually harmless. However, in certain cases such as with pregnant women and people with immune system problems, toxoplasmosis can get extremely serious. Just a friendly heads up to be careful cleaning up strange cat poo!

here's a link to the CDC info. page:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...oplasmosis.htm

Yeah, I heard about that one, didn't realize it could be that serious. Thanks alot for the heads up.

-Ed

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #70 of 84
Quote:

if you dont have respect for other people why should the beasts get more respect(not you personally but the owners of these cats)..look at what havoc this is causing our beloved edwood. then i am ok with buying a bb gun and plinking away. this will teach the mangy creatures to stay off the property without causing great harm.

Can't speak for any of these cat owners, but if I caught someone shooting at my cat with a BB gun they'd better be prepared for a killing rage. I would simply go ballistic on the person without a second thought. I'm probably not alone in my attitude, so the idea of shooting at cats is a very, very bad one IMO (unless the idea of spending the rest of one's life with a BB gun jammed up the tailpipe is appealing).

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #71 of 84
Good luck Ed. It seems you are going at this the right way.
I am surprised that some of the cats have a collar and tag. What kind of "pet" do people have that they never see? If the cat is out and about for 24/7 it seems to me that it is no longer a pet. A cat that is out and about for a few hours a day would be a pet. A cat that is in the home 90% or more of the time would seem to be a much loved pet.

Sounds to me like you have some strays and maybe an abandoned cat or two.
If you could read the tag on at least one, it would be nice. But, if the cat won't come to you, you can't read it's tag.

Besides vinegar, mothballs work also.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #72 of 84
Quote:

Wife? Based on the content and structure of this post I thought you were 12 years old.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #73 of 84
Caught this product on some forum: http://www.critter-repellent.com/cat/cat-repellant.php

No idea how well it works, but it's supposed to be odorless enough to use indoors.

Btw, if someone's stereo was bothering me and it happened to wander its way inside my living room, I'd beat the electric hell out of it with a chair or something else handy.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #74 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Wife? Based on the content and structure of this post I thought you were 12 years old.

he is. but he's big boned and can pass for 32
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #75 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yeah, I heard about that one, didn't realize it could be that serious. Thanks alot for the heads up.

-Ed

Yeah that's no joke. Our doc was very serious when he mentioned this when the wife was preggers, and said in NYC it's a big prob because we're all cooped up in our badly ventilated apts, especially since during the winter we keep those windows shut.

that said, here's my opinion - don't punish the cats, take it to the masters. at this point who cares if everyone knows it is you - print out flyers and post it up in a common area like the mailboxes and say "THIS IS EDWOOD in #4F. CURB YOUR CATS OR I WILL CALL ANIMAL CONTROL." even if you don't mean it, they'll get the idea. also, as you said, bring it up at the next building meeting in person. get to be known as "the guy who hates cats." pretty soon your neighbors will know that to have their cat go across YOUR patio = bad news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back