This time it's WAR against negligent cat owners in my Condo Complex!
Dec 15, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #46 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl

I don't think people understand the whole concept of cats.
(...)
The fact that the cats go outside is no indication of anything, other than they are normal cats.

LOL....And I could say that there is somewhere stats that are available about the reduced lifespan of «outdoor» cats vs «indoor» cats.....In that regard normal outdoor city cats are living on borrowed time....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #47 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
If the animals are running amuck all over the complex, disturbing people trying to sleep and defecating all over the property the HOA needs to address the problem. It is completely unreasonable to expect the residents to bang down the door of every negligent cat owner in the complex IMHO. If the animals can not be controlled so they are not disturbing others and damaging property on a regular basis they should be removed and placed in the care or more responsible people.

Substitute "teenager" for "animal" in the paragraph above!
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #48 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Substitute "teenager" for "animal" in the paragraph above!
biggrin.gif

Speaking of which, I'm sure a few will remember my infamous "Doh!" thread last year, but I might have a repeat of that thread soon (hopefully not the ending), so isn't it perfectly legal to have a noisy crying baby at all hours of the night, and there's nothing anyone can do about it? Hey, if I can't sleep, why should my annoying @ss neighbors?
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #49 of 84
Quote:

I don't think people understand the whole concept of cats. Most cats come and go from their owners homes, that's just the way it is, whether you like it or not. This is completely normal, they are half-wild animals to begin with. People here are characterizing the situation with his neighbors' pets as "neglect", but I bet they have no more idea than I do about the real state of these cats and how much they are or aren't loved and cared for by their owners. The fact that the cats go outside is no indication of anything, other than they are normal cats.

My parents have three cats, so I am more than vaguely acquainted with how cats operate. However, there is a big difference between small town Indiana and a condo in L.A. On the one hand, there is enough space for the animals to run without much human interaction; on the other, though, the cats are being a nuisance.

That is, I suppose, why I advocate involving the SPCA/Humane Society/Animal Control. If they could run and do their feline thing in unpopulated areas, but this is clearly very populated. Furthermore, if one of my family's cats disturbed a neighbor, I would do what it took to rectify the situation. That's part of being a responsible pet owner.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #50 of 84
never underestimate a neighbor's capacity to be unreasonable, irrational, stubborn, rude and stupid. it's been my experience that many "adults" walk the earth with the self-centeredness of a two-year-old, and will behave the same if confronted.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #51 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The cat issue is technically separate, but as I've stated, I've had enough, and now I'm just bringing up the issue with the HOA, because I'm sick and tired of dog owners continually being singled out, and nothing stated about cats.

I can see it now, at the top of NBC's fall lineup next year:

Law and Order HOA

That would be a show that would speak to all the folks living in condos and dealing with inconsiderate neighbors.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #52 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
never underestimate a neighbor's capacity to be unreasonable, irrational, stubborn, rude and stupid. it's been my experience that many "adults" walk the earth with the self-centeredness of a two-year-old, and will behave the same if confronted.

/Pictures the cat owners peeing on Edwood's balcony.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #53 of 84
While I don't have the same exact expereince as the OP, I will say that I live in a condo and yes we do have several people in our complex who have "outdoor" cats". Now we have unfortuantely have had teh expereince of them defecating on your balconies and such. In that event, we did approach the owners and in oneinstance, they were fairly uunderstanding and promised to watch over them more closely, of which they have "kept their side of the deal". On the other hand when we apprcoached another cat owner, they got all defensive and where as you say "cat liberty" types. They basically said that there cats are free to roam. In response, we simply stated that while that may be true, their cats do not have a right to defecate and urinate on our property. Furthermore we stated that, if it continued, we would contact the humane society about abandoned cats. That said, we've never had cat problems since that time.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #54 of 84
Edwood, if you are unwilling to be bothered with going to your cat-owning neighbors one-on-one, the the least you can do is go to the HOA *first* and give the HOA the chance to do what you won't and talk to the cat-owners in the complex, or to create a new policy (if that is the will of the HOA). Give the cat owners the chance to correct the problem, and the opportunity to keep them indoors, before you go having them carted off to the shelter. I think that's reasonable. They deserve *at least* that much. Perhaps if you hate cats so much, you might have bought a condo in a pet-free complex.
Quote:

However, there is a big difference between small town Indiana and a condo in L.A. On the one hand, there is enough space for the animals to run without much human interaction; on the other, though, the cats are being a nuisance. That is, I suppose, why I advocate involving the SPCA/Humane Society/Animal Control. If they could run and do their feline thing in unpopulated areas, but this is clearly very populated. Furthermore, if one of my family's cats disturbed a neighbor, I would do what it took to rectify the situation. That's part of being a responsible pet owner.

As I say, my pets are strictly in-door and I live in apartment land. But if I let them in and out, and a neighbor approached me with the issue in a friendly, neighborly way, of course I could be persuaded to address the issue to everyone's satisfaction. I wish Edwood would at least consider giving his neighbor that courtesy and that option. They can't correct a problem if they don't know it's there, and from what I've read, Edwood appears to have never confronted them with it.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #55 of 84
Hey Edwood - Don't bother with the "weasel piss" the "tiger piss" or the "Wolf Piss" - they will just make you have a pissy outlook/apartment/attitude.

Just call animal control, and get on record. Then do it again...and again...
Be nice to them, but make multiple complaints over time...keep a log, and get them to send you written confirmation - might do you good to write them at least once, and get a written response - they may make suggestions on paper that you can use at the HOA meeting.

And, regardless what the cat lovers say, it is YOUR property, YOUR life, YOUR decision. I would use the efficient no-kill service you seem to be comfortable with. No regrets this path!

Making your conjoining neighbors suffer will just bring everybody down, and may not even punish one of the evil (cat) "doers'" owner.

Question: do you have a water faucet near your patio? there are sprinklers that have IR motion sensors that will set off the sprinkler..twofold benefits are aversion therapy for the cats, and clean patio for you...

Big Ugly Guy

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #56 of 84
Quote:

Edwood, if you are unwilling to be bothered with going to your cat-owning neighbors one-on-one, the the least you can do is go to the HOA *first* and give the HOA the chance to do what you won't and talk to the cat-owners in the complex, or to create a new policy (if that is the will of the HOA). Give the cat owners the chance to correct the problem, and the opportunity to keep them indoors, before you go having them carted off to the shelter. I think that's reasonable. They deserve *at least* that much. Perhaps if you hate cats so much, you might have bought a condo in a pet-free complex.
As I say, my pets are strictly in-door and I live in apartment land. But if I let them in and out, and a neighbor approached me with the issue in a friendly, neighborly way, of course I could be persuaded to address the issue to everyone's satisfaction. I wish Edwood would at least consider giving his neighbor that courtesy and that option. They can't correct a problem if they don't know it's there, and from what I've read, Edwood appears to have never confronted them with it.

There are over 300 residents living in this community. All of which work many different hours. Yeah, like I have the time to knock on all those doors at all hours of the day. Nice try to bait me out for being a coward.
rolleyes.gif
I will be bringing up the cat issues in a public forum known as an HOA Meeting. But first I will gather the necessary evidence. (Photos, video, etc.)

Many people, including me, have filed complaints about the fighting cats and the stray cats. But nothing was done.

The peeing on the balcony is the new extra bonus.

-Ed

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #57 of 84
With that many residents in the same area, it would be almost impossible to find out who the cat's owners are. In that situation I'd probably do exactly what you're doing. But I still say nothing will come of it.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #58 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
With that many residents in the same area, it would be almost impossible to find out who the cat's owners are. In that situation I'd probably do exactly what you're doing. But I still say nothing will come of it.

Yeah, probably, but it might make me feel better for a minute or two.

-Ed

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #59 of 84
I was a cat owner as a kid, we were remodeling our house and a very friendly pregnant cat came and had three kittens on our back porch. I'm pretty familiar with cats who just *have* to get outside once in a while. Good luck bringing them back in too, only when they're good and ready. I'm sure they caused some havoc in the neighborhood but they were all fixed. Also my parents were very serious in their teachings that any time a cat managed to slip outside might be the last time we saw it. Just a fact of life, and if these owners don't understand that then it's time they learned the lesson.

My general dislike of cats comes from my sister's feline. She got it as a kitten, and the thing was feral from the get-go. It hardly ever came out from under her bed and had no need for its human's affection, just regular meals. Then one night when my sister had a flu & high fever the cat fell off a counter and got tangled up in a phone cord. My sister went to bail it out and it went psycho and tore her leg to pieces. I understand it was in distress but that's just rediculous.

Anyway, I think most of us are with you on bringing in the no-kill shelter. It's crazy to assume that all these owners of outdoor cats are hugely in love with them and will be seriously pissed off.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #60 of 84
Well, I just read through the a pile of paperwork, so on the Use of a Public Outdoor Trash Receptacle to dispose of animal waste, I win on the basis that there is nothing stated in the original CC&R Bylaws, and the latest Addendum.

Even if they claim that the "witness" is stating the truth, I can have this dismissed on the basis that there isn't a rule that covers this issue.

I'll have to check with LA County and City to see if there is a specific law covering this one. I remember that in Redondo Beach (where I used to live), public trash receptacles were permitted to be used to dispose of the doggy poo. And it was in fact encouraged, so that it wasn't left on the grass and streets. Go figure.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back