This time it's WAR against negligent cat owners in my Condo Complex!
Dec 15, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #16 of 84
How are they getting onto your balcony? Do you actually mean you have a porch/patio? The solution to a lot of apartment/condo living is to live on the top floor, at the very least not the bottom one.

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #17 of 84
Get a cage trap, put it in your balcony with some tuna fish inside, and when you grab one of those cats in, dispose it properly, as they are not supposed to be inside your porperty...

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #18 of 84
they sell slightly electrified pads for this purpose, its for indoor use but it may work outdoors

i forget the name of the product, but i saw it a few years back on TV

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #19 of 84
I agree that people need to control their cats more... I don't have a problem with it myself and my three cats would never bother my neighbors.

Just out of curiosity where are you supposed to dispose of your dog feces if not the garbage?

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 84
I think he meant they accused him of using the indoor garbage can (like in the hallway or something) not the outdoors dumpster.

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #21 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I agree that people need to control their cats more... I don't have a problem with it myself and my three cats would never bother my neighbors.

Just out of curiosity where are you supposed to dispose of your dog feces if not the garbage?

Since our dog is so small, we've picked up her nuggets with toilet paper, carry it back into the home and flush it.

Yeah, the not using the public garbage cans part is utterly stupid and probably not legal to not allow it, as it is a public waste can for residence use. Really silly since it goes in the main dumpster which is where all the other garbage along with other people (who actually pick up after their dog) will end up dumping their pet's poop.
Oh, yeah, and old cat litter goes in the garbage dump too (from the responsible cat owners).

So yeah, whatever.
rolleyes.gif

One of the previous condo complex I've lived at used to have little mini trash cans specifically for pet waste use. I will bring this up as a compromise at the next HOA meeting. But if they want WAR, WAR is what they'll get. I'm on a hair trigger now.

-Ed

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #22 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
I think he meant they accused him of using the indoor garbage can (like in the hallway or something) not the outdoors dumpster.

Nope, it was an outdoor waste can. There is one next to the mailboxes outside that is primarily for use with dumping junk mail, cuz otherwise people would just dump it on the ground.
rolleyes.gif

Did I mention that I hate neighbors?

-Ed

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #23 of 84
Unfortunately I don't think you're going to be successful in changing the attitudes of the cat owners. Still, this thread may get interesting if you get desperate enough.
very_evil_smiley.gif
First thing I would do is gather up some evidence on these cats. Find out which ones specifically are causing the problems and who their owners are. Then speak to the owner/s and explain the problem. Personally, I think its much better to talk to people directly about these sorts of things first. I've actually had neighbors complain about noise without ever coming and talking to me. I honestly had no idea there was a problem until I received an official warning from my landlord.

If talking to the cat owners doesn't help, you'll probably have to get a little more creative.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #24 of 84
I think the people who posted in this thread suggesting harming animals (and seemingly relishing the thought) are pretty sick and pathetic people with some serious "issues".
mad.gif

I also disagree very very strongly with "trapping" animals and having them taken away to be euthanized. Again, this is a cuel solution that punishes the animal which is doing nothing but being an animal. If a neighbor of mine tried to do that with one of my pets (though they never go outside), that neighbor would be in danger of serious physical harm-- from me! It would escalate to a VERY serious situation, you do NOT mess with people's animals like that. I think that's very bad advice and sure to only result in your having blood enemies among your neighbors. You think you have problems with them now, just wait...

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #26 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Thanks in advance for keeping the battle between you and the owners, not you and the cats. They're only doing what comes naturally, of course.

see, i used the exact same argument when i crapped on my neighbor's balcony, and the cops didn't buy it. What?!

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #27 of 84
Cats are very responsive to odor. There are sprays you can use that will keep cats away from your balcony. This one appears to be strong enough for outdoor use.

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #28 of 84
I wouldn't recommend harming them, despite my antipathy for cats. However, I would make it very clear that you fully intend to capture and turn over any cats on your property to the proper authorities. I don't know how the Los Angeles animal control system works, but I assume that the owners would have time to get the cats back before the animals are put down.

My guess is that you'll only have to do this once before people get the message. Frankly, if these owners are as feckless as you say, it would probably be doing the cats a favor (if they get a new owner).

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #29 of 84
There are leash laws in most states for dogs, they can't be outside unless tied up. Cats are allowed to roam free, whether one agrees with that policy or not. These are not stray animals, they are pets that belong to owners who will be heart-broken (and very angry with you) if you have them taken away and destroyed. Your neighbors may not like that you play your music loudly, it may be a nuissance, but that doesn't given them the right to either walk into your home and smash your system with a baseball bat, or to have it confiscated and impounded by the authorities and possibly destroyed by them. In any event, I suspect animal control will tell you they can't impound pets that aren't strays.

I suggest finding other ways to deal with this matter.

Dec 15, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #30 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
If a neighbor of mine tried to do that with one of my pets (though they never go outside), that neighbor would be in danger of serious physical harm-- from me! It would escalate to a VERY serious situation, you do NOT mess with people's animals like that.

You DON'T want to mess with Cat People, we're some of the craziest MF'ers out there! Me, I'd take The needle for my buds.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back