This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Sep 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,201 of 1,370

And yes, I did see a review that said the PYST RCA cables from Schiit are too thick and need a rubberbband lol.

That was probably my review. I actually got a new PYST cable recently and it's noticeably thinner and more flexible, so you might not need the rubber band with a new one.

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #1,202 of 1,370
Haha just checked, it was your review. Nice side-by-side pics with the Bifrost/Asguard stack btw.

Any opinions on cables? Not looking to debate whether high-end are worth it or not, but for $20 could I get better ones?

Planning on making my own braided silver RCA interconnects when I have time. Just for the shiny factor, and I think it'd look great with the Schiit aesthetics. However, my time is so sadly limited, which is why I'm definitely gonna buy cables for now.

Usually I like monoprice, but not for their analog cables... I ordered RCA extensions from them before, for my computer's rear speakers (5.1 setup) and I think both cables had some sort of issue (static and/or just not working period). They know of these issues too.. sent replacements quickly and for free.

But yea, I'll gladly use their USB, HDMI, etc digital stuff. Just dont trust their other stuff so much.

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #1,203 of 1,370

That was probably my review. I actually got a new PYST cable recently and it's noticeably thinner and more flexible, so you might not need the rubber band with a new one.

I got the PYST cables with my M+M stack about 2 months ago, and the issue with needing the rubberband has been resolved. I do not use a rubberband and have no problems with the Magni lifting off of the Modi.

And these drive my HD518s perfectly.  I am so happy with this setup!
L3000.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #1,204 of 1,370
  Haha just checked, it was your review. Nice side-by-side pics with the Bifrost/Asguard stack btw.

Any opinions on cables? Not looking to debate whether high-end are worth it or not, but for $20 could I get better ones?

Planning on making my own braided silver RCA interconnects when I have time. Just for the shiny factor, and I think it'd look great with the Schiit aesthetics. However, my time is so sadly limited, which is why I'm definitely gonna buy cables for now.

Usually I like monoprice, but not for their analog cables... I ordered RCA extensions from them before, for my computer's rear speakers (5.1 setup) and I think both cables had some sort of issue (static and/or just not working period). They know of these issues too.. sent replacements quickly and for free.

But yea, I'll gladly use their USB, HDMI, etc digital stuff. Just dont trust their other stuff so much.

Thanks, glad you liked it.

For cables I've had no problems with monoprice, but personally went with PYST since they're conveniently short and nicely put together.

Only other reasonably priced cables I've heard good things about offhand are Blue Jeans Cable; I haven't tried them personally, but people seem to like them. With that said, PYST is a few dollars cheaper and if you're going to be stacking your Schiit then PYST will probably fit better.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #1,207 of 1,370
I've done a lot of digging around to see if anyone has the same problem as I do and couldn't find much, so I apologize in advance if this is a repost. 

Anyways, I got my MM stack about 2 weeks ago and have used them a lot and love it! However, I noticed that after 24 hours or so I will start to hear subtle "popping" noises while listening to music. The only temporary remedy I've found is to change it from 24/96 to 24/48 and then back to 24/96. Does anyone know a permanent solution to this? 

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,208 of 1,370
  I've done a lot of digging around to see if anyone has the same problem as I do and couldn't find much, so I apologize in advance if this is a repost. 

Anyways, I got my MM stack about 2 weeks ago and have used them a lot and love it! However, I noticed that after 24 hours or so I will start to hear subtle "popping" noises while listening to music. The only temporary remedy I've found is to change it from 24/96 to 24/48 and then back to 24/96. Does anyone know a permanent solution to this? 

Have you seen this posting?  It may be cable related.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/640774/this-schiit-is-bananas-99-schiit-magni-amp-and-99-modi-dac/1185#post_9773373

Can you provide information on the cables you are using?

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #1,211 of 1,370
Sep 26, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #1,212 of 1,370
  I think so, it might be a little too long though. I don't know too much about cables so I just got one on amazon with good ratings. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSU1HG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Interesting. I also have a similar Mediabridge USB cable, and once in a great while I'll hear a random "pop".
It doesn't happen often enough for me to be much of a concern. But it happens once in a while.

Anyone else using Mediabridge USB cables?

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #1,213 of 1,370
As to the Modi issues described, I'm quite sure the issues are outside of the Modi itself. Since the cables have been discussed, one should also consider:

- If using the WASAPI driver, check your latency of the computer.  It might be running too high.  There are utilities for this.

- I've heard the ASIO driver uses is more efficient when it comes to latency vs. the WASAPI.

- Ensure your use of your interface / application for playing music has priority over other applications running on your computer.

- Ensure your computer is not trying to go into "sleep" mode at the time the popping is present.

There are many, many more possibilities.  You might want to search on them from a general USB DAC perspective as many people have have encountered and resolved these issues with many brands of DACs.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,215 of 1,370
Got my Magni on Wednesday and I'm loving it.

It was surprisingly heavy. Not as in it was annoying to carry around, but it definitely weighed more than I thought it would.

Sounds much better than my Bravo V2. Very clear, no humming/noise/popping at all.

Only one issue with build quality though... It seems like either the top plate was cut slightly wrong or one of the screws were tightened unevenly. Because the front right corner (the corner by the output) is higher than the rest by a bit. Makes my Magni rock back and forth like a chair with a bad leg.

Tiny issue though. Disappears if I chose to use the included rubber feet or stack it with the Modi (which I will get eventually lol).
Might also just sand down that corner a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back