This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Aug 23, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #1,171 of 1,370
Quote:
Ahh, I see. I guess it's probably best we keep it that way, with just the computer use, instead of the portable source option.

I'm sure there are other iPod DACs out there, such as the CLAS, HP-P1, or the Venturecraft series, although they aren't exactly a cheap option in any way.

Anyways, thank you for your easy-to-understand reply, as it is much appreciated:)

Indeed, I am surprised that there are not more inexpensive options for iPod DACs. Especially with the plethora of iDevices out there, one would think there would be more companies trying to create higher end audio devices for them. But, perhaps there is no market for them. That is probably why. By the time we start hooking up a bunch of stuff, they are no longer quite so "portable". Judging by the amazing number of Bluetooth speaker devices I see at my local electronics stores, I'm guessing people opt for the all-in-one wireless options. There is something quite attractive about wireless widgets
biggrin.gif

There are other iPod DAC's, sure. There are some insanely expensive ones too, like the Cypher Labs AlgoRythm Solo. But I just don't see the point spending $700 bucks for an iPod DAC. I mean gosh, you can get a laptop and a USB DAC for that money, LOL.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #1,172 of 1,370
Quote:

Indeed, I am surprised that there are not more inexpensive options for iPod DACs. Especially with the plethora of iDevices out there, one would think there would be more companies trying to create higher end audio devices for them. But, perhaps there is no market for them. That is probably why. By the time we start hooking up a bunch of stuff, they are no longer quite so "portable". Judging by the amazing number of Bluetooth speaker devices I see at my local electronics stores, I'm guessing people opt for the all-in-one wireless options. There is something quite attractive about wireless widgets
biggrin.gif

There are other iPod DAC's, sure. There are some insanely expensive ones too, like the Cypher Labs AlgoRythm Solo. But I just don't see the point spending $700 bucks for an iPod DAC. I mean gosh, you can get a laptop and a USB DAC for that money, LOL.

It seems that the audiophile iDevice users are really a minority to the standard users by a fair margin. Nowadays, like you said, people seem to be all about wireless gear, and try to lessen the use of cables with their technology. 

Yes, the CLAS' price is just insane at the cost of $700, and although it may be claimed to sound "awesome to the max", that price just doesn't contribute to it in this day and age. It's rather hard to believe that in modern day society, we still have to pay an unreasonable amount for some decent audio gear.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #1,173 of 1,370
It seems that the audiophile iDevice users are really a minority to the standard users by a fair margin. Nowadays, like you said, people seem to be all about wireless gear, and try to lessen the use of cables with their technology. 

Yes, the CLAS' price is just insane at the cost of $700, and although it may be claimed to sound "awesome to the max", that price just doesn't contribute to it in this day and age. It's rather hard to believe that in modern day society, we still have to pay an unreasonable amount for some decent audio gear.

not as cheap as a pile of schiit but is not Jds Labs American as well? i happen to njoy their stuff

also anythibg for apple is xpensive

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #1,174 of 1,370
not as cheap as a pile of schiit but is not Jds Labs American as well? i happen to njoy their stuff

also anythibg for apple is xpensive

I also enjoy JDS Labs stuff:)

As of the bolded statement: Apple products themselves, are expensive.

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #1,175 of 1,370
I also enjoy JDS Labs stuff:)

As of the bolded statement: Apple products themselves, are expensive.

u know i bet the reason the CLAS is $700 is due to the insane royalities they must pay to apple. since apple allows them to even suggest the iPod or any apple portable needs an external dac lol

they must b going broke due to all them apple related legal fees xD

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #1,176 of 1,370
Quote:
u know i bet the reason the CLAS is $700 is due to the insane royalities they must pay to apple. since apple allows them to even suggest the iPod or any apple portable needs an external dac lol

they must b going broke due to all them apple related legal fees xD

Yeah, haha.

They MUST pay to even use the term "iPod" or "Apple" or else they'll get their arses sued.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,177 of 1,370
Quote:
Yeah, haha.

They MUST pay to even use the term "iPod" or "Apple" or else they'll get their arses sued.

Pretty much, poor guys. Gawd know's how many vicious Apple Lawyers they have to deal with! 

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,178 of 1,370
Pretty much, poor guys. Gawd know's how many vicious Apple Lawyers they have to deal with! 

To think about their passion...what those poor guys over at Cypher Labs must do to try help enhance Apple devices..just to get swamped by lawyers.

:frowning2:

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,179 of 1,370
No kidding. Step 1 to become an Apple-Certified Hardware Vendor: have your lawyers contact our lawyers. 

Seriously. 

Which is one reason why we'll never be an Apple licensee. Lawyers are like nuclear waste--we don't want to get too much of them on us.

The other reason is, well, Apple's ability to completely destroy your business on a whim. Ahem, Lightning connector.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #1,180 of 1,370
No kidding. Step 1 to become an Apple-Certified Hardware Vendor: have your lawyers contact our lawyers. 

Seriously. 

Which is one reason why we'll never be an Apple licensee. Lawyers are like nuclear waste--we don't want to get too much of them on us.

The other reason is, well, Apple's ability to completely destroy your business on a whim. Ahem, Lightning connector.

Its just not right, really..I guess its more understandable that companies would charge more when they are Apple-Certified, as they probably blew all that money on an army of lawyers to get the certification in the first place.

Well, I don't think you guys would want to risk your whole company just to verify with Apple to only attract a small crowd of people, and charge 3x the original price of a piece of equipment, which would result in loss of customers. :)

After all, you guys are the Schiit, and that title is definitely not worth losing. :p

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,181 of 1,370
Quote:

Seriously. 

Indeed that being said, thank you for your presance hear! Forgive me for mentioning JDS labs <3

I do have a question for you actually, since you'd be a great person to ask this!

What exactly is Power as expressed in mW... I guess I should look up what watts refers to, although I ask this because I have headphones that can take up to 2000mW. If I using something like the Lyr which can drive 4watts into a 50 ohm load, what does that mean. I doubt the Lyr will drive 4watts into my w1000x [and blow them up] but what prevents the Lry from driving all of it's power into my or any headphone?

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #1,182 of 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have a question for you actually, since you'd be a great person to ask this!

What exactly is Power as expressed in mW... I guess I should look up what watts refers to, although I ask this because I have headphones that can take up to 2000mW. If I using something like the Lyr which can drive 4watts into a 50 ohm load, what does that mean. I doubt the Lyr will drive 4watts into my w1000x [and blow them up] but what prevents the Lry from driving all of it's power into my or any headphone?

You do realize that Jason adds $50 bucks to the price of new gear every time we ask a question?
rolleyes.gif

Power = Voltage times Current
Power in watts, voltage in, well, volts, and current in amps.

One mW is one thousandth of a watt.
So 2000 mW = 2 watts.

It gets a little more complex when you start trying to figure out impedance. I'm probably not qualified to explain Ohm's Law, since my degree is in computer science
wink.gif
If you want to learn lots, look up Ohm's Law then Electrical Impedance on Wikipedia. But basically, when you read that a component like an amplifier is rated to drive x watts into y load, that is giving you an idea of a relative maximum rating of the output capability of the amp. The wattage that any amplifier will drive into a load (your headphones) varies with the load. Unless the circuit is doing some really fancy magic, the higher the load, the lower the wattage (e.g. power).

Water pumps are rated in a similar way. Imagine you're trying to empty a pool, and you drop a pump connected to a hose into the pool. When the pool is full, the flow rate of water out of the hose is high, because there isn't much resistance to pumping the water (e.g. the load). So at first, the pool level drops quickly, and lots of water comes out of that hose. But as the level of the pool drops, you'll notice the flow of water slows down. Why? Well, look at how high the pump has to lift the water to get it out of the pool (this is called the "head"). The higher the lift needed, the more the water slows down. The higher the impedance of the headphones, the lower the rated wattage will be.

(I know this isn't a perfect analogy and some electrical engineer will correct me, but it's the best comparison I could think up).

As for your Lyr, nothing is really preventing it from blowing out low impedance headphones. There is actually a disclaimer on their website saying they won't be responsible if you blow out your headphones: "We will not be responsible if you blow up your headphones with it!" So yeah, I would not be the one to test the theory that you can make the magic smoke come out of your cans by cranking up the Lyr into the wrong load. My bet would be that Schiit Lyr would indeed smoke those low impedance cans.

(In my pool pump analogy, what makes the pump keep from blowing out the hose? Well, if the hose material is too thin, it will rupture it at full pressure - but there we get into my imperfect analogy again...)

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #1,184 of 1,370
Quote:
No kidding. ..

Wait. What?

Quote:
.... Step 1 to become an Apple-Certified Hardware Vendor: have your lawyers contact our lawyers. 

Seriously. 

Excellent points, in particular the last one. I guess you've seen the prices of older iPods on eBay and Amazon now.

But, yeah. I remain amazed at what Steve Jobs accomplished, even after he's gone. I've never owned an apple computer, and I doubt I ever will (unless I end up out of work and need a mac mini as a testbed for writing apps). I have a couple iPods, and I bought a couple for my kids. That's as close to Apple as I care to get. I was grateful to discover that I could play all that music I bought on iTunes in foobar. And people think Microsoft was the worst at binding people with licenses.

I admit, I have had a few wishful thoughts that Schiit would make an iPod DAC. But I already know the economics of that decision would not mesh with your business model. So I wouldn't even bother asking the question (though I will admit to the thought crossing my mind). No point in needlessly driving the price of some other worthwhile product up by 50 clams
wink.gif

Since it's saturday night, I offer you a few lawyer jokes, just for giggles...

Q: What do you call a dozen lawyers at the bottom of a pool?
A: A good start.

Q: What do you call 25 attorneys buried up to their chins in cement?
A: Not enough cement.

Q: What's the difference between an accountant and a lawyer?
A: Accountants know they're boring.

Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a trampoline?
A: You take off your shoes before you jump on a trampoline.

Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a leech?
A: After you die, a leech stops sucking your blood.

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,185 of 1,370
Wait. What?

Excellent points, in particular the last one. I guess you've seen the prices of older iPods on eBay and Amazon now.

But, yeah. I remain amazed at what Steve Jobs accomplished, even after he's gone. I've never owned an apple computer, and I doubt I ever will (unless I end up out of work and need a mac mini as a testbed for writing apps). I have a couple iPods, and I bought a couple for my kids. That's as close to Apple as I care to get. I was grateful to discover that I could play all that music I bought on iTunes in foobar. And people think Microsoft was the worst at binding people with licenses.

I admit, I have had a few wishful thoughts that Schiit would make an iPod DAC. But I already know the economics of that decision would not mesh with your business model. So I wouldn't even bother asking the question (though I will admit to the thought crossing my mind). No point in needlessly driving the price of some other worthwhile product up by 50 clams :wink:

Since it's saturday night, I offer you a few lawyer jokes, just for giggles...

Q: What do you call a dozen lawyers at the bottom of a pool?
A: A good start.

Q: What do you call 25 attorneys buried up to their chins in cement?

A: Not enough cement.

Q: What's the difference between an accountant and a lawyer?

A: Accountants know they're boring.

Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a trampoline?

A: You take off your shoes before you jump on a trampoline.

Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a leech?

A: After you die, a leech stops sucking your blood.

Love your jokes! :p got a good kick out of the trampoline one, hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back