This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #661 of 1,370
So far I am pretty impressed with the Modi/Magni setup, much more detailed base, crisper mids  and overall bigger soundstage than the e7/e9 setup i was using before.  I mean it is not even in the same ballpark when comparing these two setups (at least to my ears).  The only thing i noticed is that it is a little brighter on the top end than what i was used to with the DT-1350's, but this combo has so much headroom its crazy for something in this price range.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #662 of 1,370
So far I am pretty impressed with the Modi/Magni setup, much more detailed base, crisper mids  and overall bigger soundstage than the e7/e9 setup i was using before.  I mean it is not even in the same ballpark when comparing these two setups (at least to my ears).  The only thing i noticed is that it is a little brighter on the top end than what i was used to with the DT-1350's, but this combo has so much headroom its crazy for something in this price range.

Cool stuff. So would you say the magni beats out the e9 pretty easily?

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #664 of 1,370
yes and i can say that with confidence, the biggest issues i had with the e9 were the static in the attenuator and the dark sound it produced, now that may have been because of the e7 dac section but i was not a big fan of the e9.  The Magni is a better amp in every way.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #665 of 1,370
And I respectfully disagree, though im basing my opinion on the E9K. The E9 did have a noisy volume pot when adjusting volume, but overall it was clean sounding, and improved with a better dac. The E7 was what gave it a warmer, less detailed sound.

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #666 of 1,370

I just got my Magni/Modi combo today.
They are smaller than I thought.
So cute, I like them.

Jason, the volume pot is crooked.
You should always keep appearance neat.
Thor watches over us.  : )

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #667 of 1,370
Quote:

I just got my Magni/Modi combo today.
They are smaller than I thought.
So cute, I like them.

Jason, the volume pot is crooked.
You should always keep appearance neat.
Thor watches over us.  : )

The mark of hand built-ness :)

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #669 of 1,370
anyone got pics of the wallwart?

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #671 of 1,370
Magni's coming in today! :D I can't wait, it's gonna be for my HD650s. I sure hope that the volume knob isn't messed up though! :frowning2:

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #673 of 1,370
Hey Jason, my right ear has 2-3 times more sound with the Magni, even when changed to mono, do I need to send it in?

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #674 of 1,370
I don't know if this is of any interest to anyone (or covered when I wasnt looking :p ) but I was able to power the modi drectly from my ipad using the camera connection kit. Someone PM'd me asking about a comment I made about trying it so I finally did. I first tried it with a powered hub but then realized the powered hub is not needed.

Anyway, not that I am going to use the feature but someone might find that useful.

Sorry, I no longer own the 650s. Believe, I would love to own them, but I can't afford them as a secondary can. I only need one main music can, and one comfort can when laying down and watching anime, tv shows, etc. . The Yuin G1a is my allternative to the 650, so much that it sounds quite similar.
Pretty sure the 650 would sound great with the Schiit mini stack.

Thanks MLE. If I try it I'll be sure an post my thoughts/comparrison to the lyr combo.

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #675 of 1,370
About the crooked volume knob. I don't have a Magni in hand, so I may be way out of line.

I use to assemble HiFi gear in an earlier life and this seems to be a classic case of a generic knob over a bit too small pot shaft (or sometime a too short shaft). If there is a small hole somewhere on the knob, use an alen key to unscrew the locking pin there. Then put some tape on the shaft to fattten the diameter and gently screw everything back in place (not too thight). Everything shoud be properly aligned then.

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back