This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #586 of 1,370
So... how are these with HD650's, anybody know?

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #588 of 1,370
Somewhere earlier in the thread... or another modi/magni thread. They pair pretty well from what I remember seeing... at least better than w/ an LCD-2 :p

Edit: WHAT IS THIS TMAC CROW I KEEP SEEING.
It's a Currawong, for Currawong Christmas!

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #589 of 1,370
Sorry, I haven't followed much of this thread (I have read the Magni Thread though), but is there an ETA on international power cables being arranged by Schiit? I'm interested in getting a Australian voltage model.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #590 of 1,370
So... how are these with HD650's, anybody know?

It's sort of tough having multiple threads going on two products both individually and together, but I remember seeing a few people say it works well for the 650s. Something to the effect of the magni being a tad bright if not neutral and that it was a nice thing for the 650s. I'll have my M/M combo tomorrow and will chime in if I have any helpful info on the pairing. It's not a bad combo, though, that's for sure.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #592 of 1,370
Quote:
Sorry, I haven't followed much of this thread (I have read the Magni Thread though), but is there an ETA on international power cables being arranged by Schiit? I'm interested in getting a Australian voltage model.

This place looks like they will get a power supply, but they have updated the Magni delivery to Jan now :frowning2:

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/Schiit-Audio-Magni-Class-AB-Headphone-Amplifier

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #593 of 1,370
Quote:
I believe Jason said they did not intend to do so so it would probably be a while

Bummer.

This place looks like they will get a power supply, but they have updated the Magni delivery to Jan now :frowning2:

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/Schiit-Audio-Magni-Class-AB-Headphone-Amplifier

Might have to look at this option then.

Cheers~!

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #594 of 1,370
Quote:

Hmm, they really should update their web info then. It still says 288mW rms @ 30 ohms. Their current spec says 10ohm output impedance. Do you know what is it now?

The output impedance is 10 ohm, they knew that without having to retest the power output.  I distinctly recall the 288mw number being thrown out before the final changes before it went into production.  But output impedance used to be much much higher in the pre-production version, which made it a bit less efficient and also brighter sounding.  I was able to borrow a pre-pro to test and the final HDP was a bit better all around.  I still have an HDP that sounds pretty good with a Sigma 11 PSU.  I should be able to feed the RCA out into the Magni and compare them eventually.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #595 of 1,370
im having an issue...

i ordered my Magni a week or so back and opted for 2 day fedex to get it by Christmas.

But i realised they gave me the wrong tracking number and now im not sure if they even sent out my order though it was written shipped. 

The tracking they gave was for another customer. Sigh. I havnt received any replies via email from Schitt 

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #596 of 1,370
I've had good experiences emailing them previously, so I wouldn't worry about getting back to your email soon.

On another note - does anyone have a good explanation on why Schiit doesn't put any power switches on the fronts of their devices?  I always keep my BiFrost on (which kind of sucks now that I think of the constant power draw), and my Valhalla gets pretty hot and it's not recommended that they be left on for an extended period of time, so what gives with the huge inconvenience factor?

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #597 of 1,370
For aesthetics. The only thing that I feel should be in the front is the headphone jack and volume pot. Well, a small power button would be nice, as long as it's not a switch like the ones they currently use.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #598 of 1,370
Got my Magni/Modi mini stack today. Sounds great! Also looks killer sitting in it's stack. Only gripes are that there are two small scratches/indents on my magni. Pretty sure I didn't do it as I was super careful unpacking and I noticed them right away. I'm being pretty picky, but one of the things I love about new gear when I seldom buy it is that it's, you know, in brand new condition and currently having owned it for an hour I couldn't describe it as like new if I tried to sell it. But my desk isn't the best lit so it won't be that bad. Also a bummer that the PYST cables need to be zip tied so it doesn't raise the magni up in the rear. I was on the fence about the PYST cables and I wouldn't have bought them had I known this. Minor gripes though, great value for a DAC/Amp of this quality. The biggest problem here is I will hardly have anytime to listen to it in the next couple of days! Ah, problems of a first world citizen....

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #599 of 1,370
Quote:
I've had good experiences emailing them previously, so I wouldn't worry about getting back to your email soon.

On another note - does anyone have a good explanation on why Schiit doesn't put any power switches on the fronts of their devices?  I always keep my BiFrost on (which kind of sucks now that I think of the constant power draw), and my Valhalla gets pretty hot and it's not recommended that they be left on for an extended period of time, so what gives with the huge inconvenience factor?

Jason replied. He copied Alex Martin their operations manager in. 

Damn my order went out to some dude named Robert in Sandy UT and I specifically paid for 2 day shipping over the rest to get it by Christmas. 

This really really sucks as a first order experience. Hope Schiit can make it up to me somehow 

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #600 of 1,370
Quote:
Got my Magni/Modi mini stack today. Sounds great! Also looks killer sitting in it's stack. Only gripes are that there are two small scratches/indents on my magni. Pretty sure I didn't do it as I was super careful unpacking and I noticed them right away. I'm being pretty picky, but one of the things I love about new gear when I seldom buy it is that it's, you know, in brand new condition and currently having owned it for an hour I couldn't describe it as like new if I tried to sell it. But my desk isn't the best lit so it won't be that bad. Also a bummer that the PYST cables need to be zip tied so it doesn't raise the magni up in the rear. I was on the fence about the PYST cables and I wouldn't have bought them had I known this. Minor gripes though, great value for a DAC/Amp of this quality. The biggest problem here is I will hardly have anytime to listen to it in the next couple of days! Ah, problems of a first world citizen....

Regarding the PYST cables that several buyers have negative comments about. Any recommendations for an alternate cable, people are happy with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back