This is not a new topic but...i need help choosing
Apr 18, 2011 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

habaman

New Head-Fier

Hello people sorry for the double...i tried to delete the first on but i couldn't. the first post didn't get any attention, eccept from Armaegis(thank u for the reply) so i tought i'd post here.Be gentle im a total noob
bigsmile_face.gif

Being a googloholic, i've been googling myself to death these past months trying to find a "good for my needs, great for my wallet headphones", and so far it's been fun, but very frustrating.
Probably any hp that i'll list later on, will suit my needs perfectly, but im looking for the "best bang for the buck" concerning the use i'll put them trough.
That will be gaming 60%, music 40%, for gaming, immersiveness( real word?) is the most important factor, soundstage not so important. The genre of music i listen to is psytrance, goa, electro, house and the likes, i also listen to blues, soul and soundtracks.
i'll be using the headphones at home with my pc trough a xonar dx soundcard and behringer microamp HA400, so portability/fashion is not a problem. Most of my music is 320kbs mp3 and flac.

About the gear i own:
Closed: the best hp i have would be the srh440, the SQ is great. I love the great tight bass  that extends deep enough, and the clarity of the sound, but the crisp highs can be too crispy for me at times. The comfort tough is awful to say the least, i have an alien/melon shape head so i can't use the srh440 for long, even after changing the earpads.

Inear: the ah-c452 canalphones are fun to listen to on the go, with the huge punchy  bass and the strong mids, and the highs don’t kill the ears. Excellent for Drum & Bass.

Semi-open: i had the DTX700 for 6months before they broke about a year ago(left driver died), all i remember is that they were quite comfortable, except that they were supra-aural , very plastic:ish built, the bass was punchy, the lack of soundstage, and detail was noticeable, but they were fun.

What i'm lookin for :
-comfortable (very important)
-circumaural (preferably)
-sturdy/well built (should last for a while)
-open ( preferably open because i already have a good closed one, but close is ok)
-SQ comparable/better  to/than the shure.
-detachable cable (not so important, but preferable)
-FUN and engaging/(warm?) (the srh440 are great, but sometimes they feel a little bit too analytical)
- i hate sibilance/sharp highs/too piercing stuff, you get the point. (makes my ears ring for hours)
Now here are my options, there's hp from different price range( in no particular order):
-Goldring dr50, dr100           price: 50€ = 73$
-SHP8900                                  70€ =101$
-Goldring dr-150                         99€ = 144$ (built quality, sibilance?)
-Beyerdynamic DTX910            90€ = 130$ (interested in, but the built quality is questionable?)
- ATH-AD500                           100€ = 145$ (too boring, too sibilant?)
-DT-440                                     120€ = 174$ (not comfortable enough/ built quality?)
-HD-558                                     135€ = 195$ (not really interested, but i had to put at least on sennheiser can)
-DT-250                                     155€ = 225$ (this i will buy as an upgrade from the srh440 when i'm ready
tongue.gif
)
-DT-990pro                              155€ = 225$ (must have a good amp,maybe too sharp/sibilant?)
-AKG k-601                              155€ = 225$ (need a good amp?)
-D1100                                       125€ = 180$ (i know there closed back, but they look great! )

The grados and the ad700/ad900 are not an option because i can't get them "affordably" and from what i read they might be too sharp/sibilant/whatever for me so please do not recommend them for me.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post, any help would be greatly appreciated
normal_smile%20.gif
ps. no i'm not going to buy an amp (yet), and sorry for the bad english.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 9
If you're looking for more relaxed highs and an open headphone for gaming performance, the mid-tier Sennheisers (e.g., HD558 / 598) are probably up your alley.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 9
HFI-580/680/780 are good for electronica/dubstep and the like, and still manage to fare well on things like thrash metal and progressive jazz.  Built like a tank, comfortable, definitely fun and engaging.  Some people say the 780 has sharp highs - I've never noticed it and I listen to a lot of metal on them.  The 580s and 680s are supposed to be less forward in that department - the 680s more neutral all around, the 580s less pronounced on the top end - but I haven't heard either, so I can't comment on an A/B comparison.

Aside from that, though, don't be too worried about picking up a set of cans and not liking them.  If you don't, toss them up in the for sale section - you may lose a couple dollars, but all in all buying gear and cycling through it will give you a much wider range of experience to know what you like.

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the fast relpy guys.
i have a few questions to ask you ...so about the hd558 do you know how they compare to the dr-150?
i read a lot of good things about the dr-150 in these forum, and they say that their better than the mid-tier Sennheisers?

As for the ultrasone they are closed back, hard to get and expensive where i live, so they are not really an option...that's a  shame tough coz they look great. i know i shouldn't worry too much about picking the wrong headphones, but it's just the principle that i don't want to pay blindly for something expensive
wink_face.gif
.(and i like googling).

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 9
any other toughts/suggestion?
right now im leaning towards the dr-150, because they seems very comfortable, has a detachable cable,and SQ is suposedly great.
FWIR the dt-440 has an exellent SQ, but can be uncomfortable, and the built quality is not good...can anyone confirm?
or should i just suck it up,buy the dt-250 right now,forget about open cans, and live happily ever after?!

May 18, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Ok...so i've been rethinking my needs for better headphones, and i desided to go for either the k601 or the dt880.
I know both of them will need amplification, so i will get a tube amp later for xmas.
I tried the k601 in my local shop, and found them quite good, they were very comfortable and light, the sound was clear and very detailed, i liked the bass very much, it was punchy and well extended, but the hights were a little bit too....sharp....sibilant, but i think it's because i listend straight through my iphone without any amplification, and i am not sure if they were burnt in.

Unfortunatly i dont have the chance to try the dt880, but fwir i became interested, and feel like they might be what i am looking for ( yeah i know..im contradicting my first post).
The problem is sibilance...i know  the dt880 are on the bright side of things, but knowing that i find the k601 and my srh440 sometimes too sibilant, then will the dt880 be unbarable to my ears??
I could buy a new k601 for the price listed above, or buy the dt880 used from the forum, is the difference in SQ noticible between them, will i be happy with the k601, or should i take the risk and go for the dt880.
any suggestions?
Thanks

May 20, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 9
-FUN and engaging/(warm?) (the srh440 are great, but sometimes they feel a little bit too analytical)

^ not that K-601 is overly engaging or warm, but you made the right choice choosing them over DT880 on the point above.

K-601 is a very nice open allrounder for the price. Great deal on www.thomann.de (for Europeans)

May 20, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 9
yeah...i just ordered from thomann yesterday...should arrive next week.

Quote:
not that K-601 is overly engaging or warm, but you made the right choice choosing them over DT880 on the point above.

Thats what i thought
tongue.gif
I found them quite engaging in the shop, but we'll see how i feel about them at home, in peace, without the seller breathing down my neck
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back