Thinksound Rain, VB Shroom or Head Direct RE0
Jul 31, 2010 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lifestream

New Head-Fier
So I've been looking at a number of different reviews for my jump into IEMs and I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. Rain, Shroom or RE0.

My current set of cans are ATH-M50. I love them to death but I wish the bass had a bit more oomph. Also I don't want to carry them around everywhere for the rest of the summer. (But they do make good ear muffs!) My only other point of reference are PX100s, which had pretty nice low end but lacked a nice soundstage and treble clarity.

Anywho, I'd like to get a little more feedback on the options before I jump in :)

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 12
If you want more bass quantity than the ath-m50 in an IEM, I don't think you'll like the RE0. I havn't heard either of the others, but going from ClieOS's review of the Hippo Shroom, he said they were better than the Hippo VB, still retaining lots of bass quantity, perhaps not as much quality.

IEMs present bass differently than headphones, and certainly speakers. You can feel speaker bass, and it refracts around the room and off everything then back to your ear... Which is why I think a headphone has to produce more bass to sound the same... And an IEM even more than that to sound like it has decent bass. I like bass light headphones and bass heavy IEMs. Perhaps it's just me though.

I would suggest you might also try upping the sub bass frequencies for your m50... Like 100 and below to see if that's the oomph you lack, or you can eq the entire bass range to get the right quantity. If you care more about punchy, tight, controlled bass that's one thing. If you want some quality your bass lacks that's another.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
If you want more bass quantity than the ath-m50 in an IEM, I don't think you'll like the RE0. I havn't heard either of the others, but going from ClieOS's review of the Hippo Shroom, he said they were better than the Hippo VB, still retaining lots of bass quantity, perhaps not as much quality.

IEMs present bass differently than headphones, and certainly speakers. You can feel speaker bass, and it refracts around the room and off everything then back to your ear... Which is why I think a headphone has to produce more bass to sound the same... And an IEM even more than that to sound like it has decent bass. I like bass light headphones and bass heavy IEMs. Perhaps it's just me though.

I would suggest you might also try upping the sub bass frequencies for your m50... Like 100 and below to see if that's the oomph you lack, or you can eq the entire bass range to get the right quantity. If you care more about punchy, tight, controlled bass that's one thing. If you want some quality your bass lacks that's another.

Overall I'd say clarity and good soundstage are the most important. I wouldn't say I'm a bass head, like I said, I do love my M50s especialy for their neutral character and excellent clarity. The bass is quite good on them, but I wouldn't mind a bit more, as my M50s are more for studio monitoring.

So something that's relatively crisp and clear, with a little bit extra on the low end.
I also read that you can adjust bass accordingly on the VBs. I also read Rains are a good competitor to the RE0. I heard that the bass can extend down on the RE0 as well.

I'm going to be using these phones mostly with 320kbps mp3s on my iPhone without amplification as well.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 12
The RE0 can EQ for better oomph, but not out of an iPhone. You'll need a player that can do a 6-10 dB bump in the frequencies below 60-100Hz.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 12
Here's the out of context plagarized response DKFT gave on the subject of the hippo vb and re0.. On anythingbutipod.

"The difference between the two isn't anything as huge as you make them out to be.

The RE0 have more midbass hump and roll off in the deepest octave, the VB have plenty of deep bass with an astonishing lack of midbass bloat. The RE0 have slightly more refined treble than the VB, but not that much. Midrange and soundstage is about equal on both. Both are good phones for their price range, just a matter of preference."

I like DKFTs opinions on stuff. They seem well thought out and balanced with a kind of Austrian pragmatism. You may check out that whole thread. I personally rank mid bass bloat or humps as one of the highest evils in IEMs because I like lot of music with detail in the bass. People would flip if their beloved treble had a huge bulge in their frequency response. Do they care if my bass does? No. Treblists.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Could you send me a link to DFKTs thread? :)

Well if that's the case I'll just take a flyer on the VBs most likely, I'll just take a quicker look over DFKTs experience on it. I like an analytical sound, but I have my studio monitors for absolute neutral fidelity. I wouldn't mind a little bit more pop.

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 12
x2

Quote:
The RE0 can EQ for better oomph, but not out of an iPhone. You'll need a player that can do a 6-10 dB bump in the frequencies below 60-100Hz.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 12
Even with the EQing, if you find m50s to lack oomph, the RE0s are going to feel as if there is no bass to be had whatsoever.  They are not a basshead phone by any stretch of the imagination.

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Even with the EQing, if you find m50s to lack oomph, the RE0s are going to feel as if there is no bass to be had whatsoever.  They are not a basshead phone by any stretch of the imagination.

x2. If the M50 lacks oomph stay far away from all Head-DIrect earphones and also the regular Shroom (haven't tried the Shroom EB). Look at the FA Eterna, Hippo VB, Xears TD100, ViSang R03. Just not the RE0. I don't think it's anywhere as close to VB as dfkt makes it seem.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 12
I have the Rain and RE0.  They are pretty different sounding.  The Rain, once you plug the tiny port below the nozzle, is a very full, warm, fun, musical earphone that will get your head nodding and toe tapping.  The RE0 is very clean, detailed, even across the spectrum, but can almost sound clinical because without a good amp and some EQ, it just doesn't have as much musicality to it.  The Rain doesn't have quite the detail level of the RE0 (85-90%), but it is very engaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back