Thinking of buying these SONY Floorstanding Speakers to save my Hearing from dangerous Headphones.
Nov 13, 2010 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Denon2010

Formerly known as Denon5220
Guys Was thinking of getting some decent speakers instead of just headphones. I have noticed some ringing sounds in my ears and my ears hurt. Friend told me to much of the headphones are causing it and that headphones are extremely dangerous.

So I will put down my D2000 and my HD555 for now.

Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-5000-Floor-Standing-Speaker/dp/B000OG4E1G

These are the sony speakers I have read some very excellent reviews about them they are also quite large. And very good for the price.

I need a receiver with a built in AMP for them though. I don't want to spend to much money as I know that this is the down sides of home audio. Headphones for $100 sounds like a $1000 Home audio. But how true is that?

Well anyways this is the receiver

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX4109-2-Channel-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B000MBUSD6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1289697431&sr=1-2

you guys think this should be enough for a possible audiophile experience?

Headphones are also weighing down my head. They are soo heavy after long periods of gaming and music listening.

I presently use  a ASUS Xonar DG sound card with built in headphone amp.

Maybe these sherwood would also provide better amping for my headphones?

But I am more concerned about powering the speakers. I believe the speakers are 150 Watts RMS each.

The amp I think is 100 RMS.

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 16
It would only cost me $208 US and well I live in Trinidad so really and truly its gonna cost me $310 US after shipment and import duty etc etc.

Converted to my money its really $2200 TT

But honestly if these are the best value for the money then I really don't mind spending the cash.

Its the same amount I spent for my Denon D2000 anyways.

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 16
Sony speakers are not that good.  Look into some NHT.

http://www.nhthifi.com/

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 16
You could try removing the treble resonances in your headphones with a parametric EQ. Using the EQ in this way will improve the sound, and cause less fatigue. No matter the headphone, there is almost always bumpy treble peaks and too much treble energy due to the short distance between the driver and ear canal. Just look at headroom graphs.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 16
Headphones won't hurt your ears... It's just the fact, that headphones have a rather low distortion which means that you can listen at very high volumes whithout noticing a degradation in sound quality. With speakers you're more likely going to hear distortion once the volume gets higher.

Your friend does not know too much about headphones... Actually they are safer to listen to because you need lower volume in order to hear all the details. But if you don't limit the volume, it's your fault in the end. Using a speaker will not change this.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 16
I would like to own this.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Headphones won't hurt your ears... It's just the fact, that headphones have a rather low distortion which means that you can listen at very high volumes whithout noticing a degradation in sound quality. With speakers you're more likely going to hear distortion once the volume gets higher.

Your friend does not know too much about headphones... Actually they are safer to listen to because you need lower volume in order to hear all the details. But if you don't limit the volume, it's your fault in the end. Using a speaker will not change this.

X2
SOUND damages your hearing. Whether it's from headphones or speakers doesn't matter. It's the actual decibels that hit your eardrum that matters. Just listen at lower volumes with your headphones, as hard as that might be.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 16
I don't know if it would help at all, but I developed hearing problems and damaged my ears because of 4 years of listening to earbuds at extremely loud volumes. This was during my high school years where it was "cool" to blast music to the point that other people would hear it, eventhough the purpose of earbuds is to make music private.

Anyways, I work in audio production, and love my Ultrasone Proline 2500s. I don't know what it is about them, but they're the only ones that allow me to listen music critically without ever feeling discomfort or having ringing noises develop in my eardrums. I think it's the way the drivers are positioned and the fact that all the sound is not going directly into the ear, but I love them. I use them every single day and spend an average of 4 hours per day listening to music.

Before opting to go for speakers--because most at this price range won't sound like most high end headphones--you should consider trying out the Proline 750s or 2500s, as they can be had for 200 or less used. Keep in mind that speakers and listening systems won't do the music justice unless you have at least some kind of acoustic treatment to clean up any problems with the room you'll be using, and acoustic treatment is usually pretty expensive.

Best of luck.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 16
Or you could just turn down your headphones.

The speakers will do just as much damage if you crank them, too.

Also, I'd skip the Sony loudspeakers.  They're junk.  Get some used good speakers off Audiogon or build your own.

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 16
I find that a really good way for me to tell if I'm listening too loud is if I hit pause and my ears seem to feel pressure the instant after the sound stops.  I just keep doing this until I find a volume where I don't get that pressure after hitting pause and that's where I listen.  

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 16
Buy a Radio Shack SPL Meter and use it to measure how loud you are actually listening to your headphones.  You may be listening to them much louder than you suspect.  It is very easy to get the Denons over 100 dB if you are trying to recreate the physical feeling of listening to a speaker or trying to recreate a dance club on your head.  Loud volume on either headphones or speakers is not safe for your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back