Thinking of buying my first good watch...pro's and cons?
Oct 18, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #61 of 82
Get and good watch but don't go overkiller. A Rolex is too big for you. Find something less ostentatious (and every Rolex owner I know whines about needing $500 servicing all the time). But a good quality watch is worth it. My Baum and Mercier divers watch is still ticking along after 9 years (I had the water seal changed, that's it). Just find a model you think is cool. And if that's a seamaster, then so be it. Enjoy it! A watch is my one concession to jewelry/fashion.

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #64 of 82
Very happy with my Tissot. It's a PR50 Chrono that I picked up in Canada 10 years ago. They apparently changed the design, because mine looks nicer than the current model.

Quality is good, and I've only had to change the battery twice (about $40 if you want the waterproofing seal intact/replaced).

It definitely doesn't have the bling appeal of other watches, but I like it that way. It was also one of the few men's watches that didn't look HUGE on my wrist
plainface.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #65 of 82
This doesnt help the original poster, but I impulse bought a watch on ebay today. I was going to use the money on an amp for my HD580's (still might, will just have to sell something to come up with the cash).
Its not what I would call a time piece that you would have for 10 years, its a Suunto G6 Pro golf watch. Yes, golf watch. I just got into golf and have been going nuts with it. I even bought a golf outfit (polo shirt, sweater vest, the shoes, the works
smily_headphones1.gif
). My friends think its wierd, but they also think expensive headphones are a waste also, please forgive for they are dumb
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #67 of 82
I think it would be best to get two watches. One nice one, that's near the upper limits of the budget you set for yourself, and one more casual watch that you'll wear everyday and is much less expensive.

Everyday watches tend to get beat around a lot and it seems silly to beat up something that's very expensive and that you cherish.

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #68 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
I love how Tissot's look and the price is quite attractive. I want an automatic though - no quartz. There is not much written about them, how is the quality?

I have a pr50 that's an automatic. Really nice and no less accurate than most, using the ETA 2824-2 movement. It's hacking and you can wind it, and the hand sweeps a little bit nicer than my Orient Star. Really nice. I should also add that the face is saphire crystal.

The minus point is the bracelet. It's folded SS links instead of solid. Otherwise the watch itself is really nice, and there are more expensive watches out there using the same freaking movement.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #69 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I think it would be best to get two watches. One nice one, that's near the upper limits of the budget you set for yourself, and one more casual watch that you'll wear everyday and is much less expensive.

That's not bad advice, I have an office job and for the most part, I can wear daily my nicer watches (mostly sporty styles) everyday, but I have a cheap Timex Ironman that I wear out if I'm roughing it (i.e. swimming, biking, hiking). It's kind of weird to wear something like a $4000 (Rolex) watch to work, but nobody yet has even commented or even noticed (nobody I know wears anything fancier than a Seiko).

Oct 19, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #70 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
That's not bad advice, I have an office job and for the most part, I can wear daily my nicer watches (mostly sporty styles) everyday, but I have a cheap Timex Ironman that I wear out if I'm roughing it (i.e. swimming, biking, hiking). It's kind of weird to wear something like a $4000 (Rolex) watch to work, but nobody yet has even commented or even noticed (nobody I know wears anything fancier than a Seiko).

because noone really spends time staring at other peoples watches. The only time I've ever gotten a comment on my rolex was at a dinner table and the person beside me could plainly see it as I ate.

Oct 19, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #71 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
because noone really spends time staring at other peoples watches. The only time I've ever gotten a comment on my rolex was at a dinner table and the person beside me could plainly see it as I ate.

not entirely true. i have an automatic oris watch - one of their "cocoa-butter" rubber strap ones - that has gotten a number of compliments/comments/queries. maybe it's b/c oris isn't as well-known as rolex...

and i often check out other people's watches...and if they catch my eye, i ask them what it is...

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #72 of 82
Why must you people ignore my posts?

Anyway my friend's dad has a seiko diver from back when he was in the military (1980's) and it still works and keeps great time. the 7s2 movements are extremely reliable and proven. You shold also consider that metal bands will get crusty and loose/scratched over time, especially in cheaper watches. You can get a nice seiko for cheap that comes with a rubber diving band, then throw on a fat hirsch leather band and it makes it an infinitely better watch.

This is my daily watch:
IMG_1013Large.jpg

However I would STRONGLY suggest buying something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SKX013K-Rubber-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Because it will last forever.

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #73 of 82
I have a Citizen EcoDrive and I love it, BUT I would never spend more than 200 bucks for a watch. I was in France, and I accidentally brushed my wrist against a lightpost and scratched the face slightly. I was beyond mad at myself, and that was a 200 dollar watch. Imagine yourself if that happened to you if you spent 800 bucks on a watch...

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #74 of 82
I have made my choice. I decided that at my age wearing a $1000 watch doesn't make sense for the following reasons:

1. Everyone would think it was fake and I was pretending to be rich
2. Everyone would think I was rich
3. Most expensive watches are huge for my wrist
4. An Omega and jeans and a T-Shirt on a 18yr old would look rather foolish.

Perhaps when I graduate college I will buy a top of the line one.

While I most certainly do appreciate the finer aspects of watches and watch design (been spending a lot of time at timezone lately) it just doesn't make sense to own one at this time.

I will go with the 2 watches however - one leather and one metal band. I took a trip to local dealers tonight, and let me tell you, the quality of the Tissot's for the money was astounding. They looked and felt perfectly at home next to the Tags. I have ordered the leather watch tonight with overnight shipping, for a whopping total of $184. What an incredible deal.

Here is my choice (the excellent photo is borrowed, mine is not here yet)

1582tissot_s.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back