Thinking of buying my first good watch...pro's and cons?
Oct 18, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #32 of 82
i don't know how much you really feel comfortable spending. i always against people spending about, 100, 200 or even 500 dollars on watches that use batteries. it's just electronic. nothing special and you can't really keep them for, let say 50 years. if you really want something good. get a automatic watch. or go to walmart get something under 20 dollars.

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #33 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
The notion of a watch being a keepsake is kind of silly to me. ......

I say get a 2-300 dollar watch you really like and keep the extra cash for other stuff. Its nice to indulge once in awhile but at the same time its a bad habit to get carried away with luxury items.

ps-unless it was up close, I would not be able to seperate that omega you posted from most of the generic $50-100 watches out there.

a lot of normal people would say the same for headphones. It's all in what you appreciate. High end watches appeal to certain people, just like high end headphones. Many people would find a $100 headphone to be as good as they need, but some people want to invest thousands in their headphone rig. It's no different from people finding a $50 watch adequate, but some people appreciate the build/craftmanship/materials in a $3000 luxury watch to be worth every cent. And it's not really about impressing people, although a nice watch may do that.

A keepsake is any item that has sentimental value and brings back good memories. A watch is an ideal keepsake, because it accompanies you through many life events. You will probably look at your watch as your baby is born, or remembering looking at it on that great day with your father at the ball game. A good mechanical watch, made of good materials will last decades or more with proper care. It's better to spend more and buy a mechanical watch that does't get obsolete, unlike the electronic watches (batteries may get hard to find, or the rechargeable cells wear out)

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #34 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
a lot of normal people would say the same for headphones. It's all in what you appreciate. High end watches appeal to certain people, just like high end headphones. Many people would find a $100 headphone to be as good as they need, but some people want to invest thousands in their headphone rig. It's no different from people finding a $50 watch adequate, but some people appreciate the build/craftmanship/materials in a $3000 luxury watch to be worth every cent. And it's not really about impressing people, although a nice watch may do that.

A keepsake is any item that has sentimental value and brings back good memories. A watch is an ideal keepsake, because it accompanies you through many life events. You will probably look at your watch as your baby is born, or remembering looking at it on that great day with your father at the ball game. A good mechanical watch, made of good materials will last decades or more with proper care. It's better to spend more and buy a mechanical watch that does't get obsolete, unlike the electronic watches (batteries may get hard to find, or the rechargeable cells wear out)

all very valid points. I just dislike expensive flashy watches because I'm a simple guy, and some of these watches are becoming a form of jewelery for men. I hate to see people spending that kind of money for a status symbol. One of my friends has fallen into this trap, and you could say his hobby is acting rich, embelishing the rich lifestyle. He's the kind of guy who keeps cuban cigars not to smoke, but to show off wealth. He'll play golf at the country club even though he despises the sport. Some people feel sophistication is indulgence in exclusive and expensive items, and its not the best mindset..

back to watches..
The biggest gripe i have is since most of these watch designs are so similar, paying that much more for a design you can find in a $300 or even a $50 watch seems a little excessive. I see 1000's of watches that look almost identical to the Omega the OP posted, in fact I could probably run to the mall and pick one up for around $30. So what are you paying for? Mainly the brand name, the mechanical action, and the materials. Does a $3000 watch tell time better than a $300 one? Does a $3000 headphone sound better than a $300 one? Who knows, but I'd rather take the headphones!
k1000smile.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #35 of 82
Quote:

You will probably look at your watch as your baby is born, or remembering looking at it on that great day with your father at the ball game.

I've met people who experienced such things, but not once did they care what watch they had on. It's not like catching a homerun ball or having your newborn infant grab your thumb, which sorta define and bookmark the events into your mind.

I think people should admit the main reason for buying an (overly) expensive watch is vanity. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, though you gotta wonder why a guy would need a blinging timepiece to make himself feel good/stand out.
confused.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #36 of 82
Quote:

The biggest gripe i have is since most of these watch designs are so similar, paying that much more for a design you can find in a $300 or even a $50 watch seems a little excessive. I see 1000's of watches that look almost identical to the Omega the OP posted, in fact I could probably run to the mall and pick one up for around $30. So what are you paying for? Mainly the brand name, the mechanical action, and the materials. Does a $3000 watch tell time better than a $300 one? Does a $3000 headphone sound better than a $300 one? Who knows, but I'd rather take the headphones!

It all depends on what depth you know or care about something. A $3000 watch looks nothing like a $30 or $300 watch. True, you wouldn't be able to tell between them from afar, but it's not as if you would own a watch to show off from afar, either. But that's really no different from headphones. Most people can't really appreciate the sonic difference between $30 and $300 headphones. They might notice if it's pointed out to them, but they wouldn't really care most of the time. In other words, beyond a certain point, indulging in any hobby becomes appreciable only in a specialized way, and within a specialized group.

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #37 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
It all depends on what depth you know or care about something. A $3000 watch looks nothing like a $30 or $300 watch. True, you wouldn't be able to tell between them from afar, but it's not as if you would own a watch to show off from afar, either. But that's really no different from headphones. Most people can't really appreciate the sonic difference between $30 and $300 headphones. They might notice if it's pointed out to them, but they wouldn't really care most of the time. In other words, beyond a certain point, indulging in any hobby becomes appreciable only in a specialized way, and within a specialized group.

please explain. to me a lot of expensive watches look exactly like $2-300 ones. Sure there are exceptions but when I look all I see is stainless band, clicker ring thingy, very similar faces, etc.

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #38 of 82
pros: they're beautiful, they're a nice keepsake, and there's something cool about having to wind an automatic watch. i'm a fan of breitling, tudor, and oris.

cons: like any expensive thing, you can lose or damage them.

kirosia is somewhat right about the vanity thing...i've heard it said that you can tell how rich or vain someone is by looking at their watch. i must be vain since i'm certainly not rich!
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #39 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I've met people who experienced such things, but not once did they care what watch they had on. It's not like catching a homerun ball or having your newborn infant grab your thumb, which sorta define and bookmark the events into your mind.

I think people should admit the main reason for buying an (overly) expensive watch is vanity. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, though you gotta wonder why a guy would need a blinging timepiece to make himself feel good/stand out.
confused.gif

Speak for yourself.

I have a number of nice watches. And for me, they are very sentimental. Some people attach no sentimental value to things. Others do. For some people, they sweater they wore, or the scent they smelled, or the watch I wore on prom night can trigger memories. My father gave me his watch and I remember winding it for him every day, and I think of my those fond moments as a child when I see it.

The only reason to buy a nice watch is vanity? Give me a break. Just because you don't understand the appeal of owning a fine timepiece doesn't mean the motives for buying them are completely hollow. For me, I don't give a crap about whether people know that the watch I'm wearing cost $100 or $1000. In fact, the watch I want most looks very understated and is a brand name nobody's heard of (at least outside of watch-fi circles). If it was purely vanity, I'd buy a gold Rolex and be done with it. But watch collecting goes way beyond the status symbol aspect.

I think it can be pretty hypocritical to judge people who collect high end watches and not say the same about people who invest disportionate amounts on headphones or any other niche hobby. Again, it's all about appreciation of the details. You might not appreciate the genious of the Coaxial escapement in an Omega but don't prejudge those that do.

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #40 of 82
Quote:

a lot of normal people would say the same for headphones. It's all in what you appreciate.

A 20 dollar watch can keep as good a time as a 10,000 dollar watch. Money should be spent on function. Anything else is a waste of valuable resources. Half the world lives on less than a dollar a day. An 800 dollar watch, or headphone fpr that matter, is insane.

Watches are a collosal waste of money. It is pure vanity. Might as well get yourself a Louis Vitton purse to carry around while you are at.

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #41 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
A 20 dollar watch can keep as good a time as a 10,000 dollar watch. Money should be spent on function. Anything else is a waste of valuable resources. Half the world lives on less than a dollar a day. An 800 dollar watch, or headphone fpr that matter, is insane.

Watches are a collosal waste of money. It is pure vanity. Might as well get yourself a Louis Vitton purse to carry around while you are at.

I'll respond to some other posts later, but would like to point out:

A $200 car can get you to where your going just as well as a $100,000 car thanks to speed limits. Since half the world lives on less than a dollar a day, it is insane for you to own a car with a value of more than $200. You could argue that the $100,000 car does it in luxury and style - same goes for the watch. Functionality is functionality, and a $200 car has it in spades.

Interesting how your own logic only applies to certain aspects of your life, isn't it. Those same people who live on a dollar a day you mention would likely think you are going to hell for living where you do, or for eating as you do. However, people who live on zero dollars a day envy those who live on a dollar.

Perspective is everything.

edit: As a previous poster said, it's not about bling. I would get a fake rolex if that were the case. I just enjoy owning nice things which I have worked for. Am I wrong to do this?

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #42 of 82
Quote:

I think it can be pretty hypocritical to judge people who collect high end watches and not say the same about people who invest disportionate amounts on headphones or any other niche hobby. Again, it's all about appreciation of the details. You might not appreciate the genious of the Coaxial escapement in an Omega but don't prejudge those that do.

I agree with you, but...

people who invest in good headphones spend hours upon hours explore music on them. What can you possible spend hours and hours on with a watch? Sure I see a fine timepiece and admire it from an engineering and craftsmanship perspective, but who says "oh i have an evening free to myself, I think i'll sit here and admire the passing of time on this exquisite watch.." You have to admit they are a LITTLE different.

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #43 of 82
C3: Before you spend serious money, I'd rather recommend to get one of the priceworthy Citizen or Seiko (especially "5" series) models and check how you get along with the pros and cons of a mechanical automatic.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #45 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
A 20 dollar watch can keep as good a time as a 10,000 dollar watch. Money should be spent on function. Anything else is a waste of valuable resources. Half the world lives on less than a dollar a day. An 800 dollar watch, or headphone for that matter, is insane.

It's easy to criticize people with the moral high ground statements like the one you wrote, but I'd really like to see how people like you, who criticize others for having wasteful hobbies, spend their own money. Everybody's a hypocrite to some degree.

To be human is to enjoy life. If we work hard for our money, are we bad humans for wanting to spend it on ourselves, and have fun with it? I could have spent my $2000 on a resort vacation, or a dozen very nice meals at top restaurants instead of a watch. But does that make it less wasteful (especially if I prefer the watch over the other choices)?. So should I also stop buying original art paintings (heck, I could get a print that looks functionally identical) or not buy a nicer car because a Honda Civic is functional enough for our use most of the time (If I need to carry more people, I can always rent a van)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back