Thinking of buying my first good watch...pro's and cons?
Oct 17, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 82
My watch is a Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk. Great watch, though my strap did break (subsequently replaced with the leather strap, which contrasts very nicely with the aluminum). If you are looking at getting a name-brand watch, take a look at Citizen watches. They are good quality for much less cost than your typical high-end watch.

Aditya

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #17 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghopper
i think 800 dollars is wayyy overkill, especially for your age.

I would beg to disagree.

A friend of my mom's who is in his mid 50's now recieved a very nice Omega for his barmitzvah (13 year old celebration for anybody curious.) He wears it everyday to this day believe it or not. Another story is my dad's friend who is a watch collector and got a guess watch when he was 13 for his confrimation I believe (that's what it's called?) He also still wears it to today.

After my barmitzvah I wanted an Omega Speedmaster myself, but I ended up blowing cash on some other stuff. I still want to buy myself a nice watch, although it was out of reason in reality for somebody my age to be wearing such an watch, unless I got it as a gift or something. I think that around 18 though there should be no problem if you want a nice watch, by that age people aren't going to bully you either most likely for wearing a nice watch.

I think $800 could be a bit low depending on what your looking for. As said before, there are a lot of cheaper quartz watches, but if you want a nice automatic or something from a higher end brand name, you might have to dish out some more money.

BTW, I'de agree with Majid on going to timezone. Nice guys there who will help you out. And if you ask around, a lot of these guys bought nice watches when they were younger and will tell you it's a lifetime investment.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #18 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I would beg to disagree.

Ya of course thats easy when you're not spending your own hard earned money
rolleyes.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #19 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
rolleyes.gif

Hey, you can say that, and it's true, I'm not gonna disagree with that. I'm sure if the money from my Barmitzvah was money I stood working for I'de be investing it or spending it very wisely.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #20 of 82
A watch is something you will keep for a long time, thus it makes sense to get a good one.

However it does not cost $800 to get a good watch and thus I would advise just getting a relatively inexpensive watch whose looks are to your taste and which is not known for shoddy craftsmanship or breaking down. You do have to consider just what the extra $700 gets you and to my mind, the main thing you get is debatably better looks and a complicated mechanism which doesn't really tell time much better than a quartz watch.

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #21 of 82
$800 is just a drop in the bucket for a watch that could be considered a keepsake. So no, it's not too much if you take decent care of it, and really intend to wear it for years to come.

I don't think $800 is going to get you any new Breitling or Omega watches, so you'll have to look at the entry level Tag watches or a mid-brand like Tissot if you want to stay in the under $1000 price range. Moving up to $2000 will give you a lot more options in true luxury brands. Keep in mind if you get an automatic/mechanical, you'll have to fork over $200-400 every 5 years for an overhaul. It's worth it though, because mechanical watches have an inherent "soul" which the feeling of obsolescence that you get with an battery powered watch.

Take your time in finding something that doesn't look too trendy. I think some of the Tags will look dated in the future. Stick with a classic simple look.

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #23 of 82
i got a $450 swiss army watch for my 15th birthday and it hardly ever leaves my wrist and have only had to replace the battery once this year (7 years
tongue.gif
) plus it looks nice

if you are a watch person and will take care of it and not lose it might as well if not and you can get buy with something cheaper go that path

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #24 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoxMonkey
i got a $450 swiss army watch for my 15th birthday and it hardly ever leaves my wrist and have only had to replace the battery once this year (7 years
tongue.gif
) plus it looks nice

if you are a watch person and will take care of it and not lose it might as well if not and you can get buy with something cheaper go that path

yes my swiss airforce lasted me probably 7 years now...I can't really replace it cuz it not broken yet. I really need it to break so i can get something nicer...sigh...oh..those last-forever-watches what you gonna do with them
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #25 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
rolleyes.gif

Now you see what I mean?

I would invest in a nice Seiko, find yourself one for around $2-300 and you'll be set. They look good and last long, what more can you ask? I particularly like the look of their diver style watches and they are quite functional too. I had one up until recently and used it when I went to the beach to go fishing/kayking/paddling, not one hint of rust. Their conservative line looks quite good too though and is more befitting of business attire, I bought my father one for Christmas last year and he really likes it.

Oct 17, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #26 of 82
You can buy a very good watch for $2-300 and that is more than enough. I think the time you should buy $80 wacth maybe when you graduate from college, or get your first job. Trust me, you are going to want to spend a lot nmore on notebooks, gadgets and gears when you are in college. $800 can get a you a good notebooks, great piece of hi-fi equipment and so on.

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #27 of 82
I also think $800 is a bit too low if your going to venture into this. When I was in college I bought a $500 eco-drive watch and all my friends freaked out. They couldnt believe I spent that much on a watch (which 10 years later I still have in great condition). But I would always point out that they spend $1000's of dollars yearly on beer, restaurants, clubs and bars. Just not doing that (cause its not my personality) saves me so much in comparison.

Since then i've bought a much more expensive Tag and I love looking at it. Everytime I wear it I admire it. Vain? Maybe? Materialistic? yes! But I only bought after saving up. Never on credit or borrowing...and I researched it and spent over a year in each case before buying to be sure that I was getting something that I really really wanted.

It brings me joy everytime I wear it. Thats worth the money for me. If drinking beer and pissing your money away makes you (generic you) happy then fill your boots!

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #29 of 82
PROS:
Looks real nice.
Looks very classy.

CONS:
If it gets lost, it's a huge deal.
If it gets damaged, it's a huge deal.
If it even gets scratched, it's still a pretty big deal.

I haven't spent over $30 on a watch.

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #30 of 82
800 is a little steep to be spending on a watch, be careful what you wish for. My friend got a nice watch as a graduation gift from his uncle, he loved it and took really good care of it. One day he tripped in the parking lot and put a nice chip in the face. He was heartbroken.

A watch is something for telling the time and dressing up, but do you need to spend thousands of dollars in doing so? The notion of a watch being a keepsake is kind of silly to me. If you like a watch then it shouldn't matter how much it costs. It's not like someone is going to belittle you when you show them an old casio you've kept for 40 years.

Right now I'm rocking a fake rolex submariner. It's fun, can't tell the difference from a real one, and looks great on my wrist. But if it was real I would wear it a LOT less often and be paranoid about damaging it.

I say get a 2-300 dollar watch you really like and keep the extra cash for other stuff. Its nice to indulge once in awhile but at the same time its a bad habit to get carried away with luxury items.

ps-unless it was up close, I would not be able to seperate that omega you posted from most of the generic $50-100 watches out there. I doubt most people could either. So unless you are trying to catch the eyes of other watch afficiandos..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back