Things to consider before getting your custom IEM impressions done. The perfect fit.
Dec 6, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #121 of 202
  How do you guys send the impression to the lab? Do you just dump it in any box or is it some sort of padded box? 

If you take your impression in an audiologist's office, usually it will come with a small paper box - what I usually do is put some padding inside to stop it from moving around, then pack the small box inside a bigger box with more padding. The key is to make sure the outer box is tough enough so it won't get crushed easily.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #122 of 202

How do you guys send the impression to the lab? Do you just dump it in any box or is it some sort of padded box? 

If you take your impression in an audiologist's office, usually it will come with a small paper box - what I usually do is put some padding inside to stop it from moving around, then pack the small box inside a bigger box with more padding. The key is to make sure the outer box is tough enough so it won't get crushed easily.

1. I also like to write my name on the actual impressions, using a ballpoint pen, before I pack them in the box  (so there is absolutely zero possibility for a mix-up at the CIEM lab
    etysmile.gif
    )

1. If the impressions are being sent to an overseas CIEM lab, I also write a clear description of what the impressions are, and what they are for, and place this description in the box, so that if the box is opened by a curious customs official, they will easily understand that the impressions are harmless and legitimate items, and allow them to travel to their destination without detaining them.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #124 of 202
Thanks for your replies guys. What padding do you use? Some paper or bubble wrap or...?

A box within a box as ClieOS suggested, with lots of bubble wrap in the outer box to stop the inner box containing the impressions from moving around too much, and again lots of bubble wrap in the inner box containing the impressions to cushion those from any rough handling (also wrap the impressions in bubble wrap & secure with tape) got my two lots of impressions safely from Australia to 64Audio in the US :wink:

Edited a little - for clarity.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #125 of 202
Do most people feel that they get better impressions (meaning less misfits with final IEMS) with closed jaw impressions vs open jaw impression w/ the 1" bite block? I needed a refit with my last open jaw impressions and am about to get some new IEMS and am wondering if I should go with closed mouth impressions this time.

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #126 of 202
Do most people feel that they get better impressions (meaning less misfits with final IEMS) with closed jaw impressions vs open jaw impression w/ the 1" bite block? I needed a refit with my last open jaw impressions and am about to get some new IEMS and am wondering if I should go with closed mouth impressions this time.

You should always check with the manufacturer as to which method is best for their brand of ciems.  Don't want to aggravate the situation.  As a rule I've found I cope with closed mouth impressions better than open as ever ymmv!

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #127 of 202
A box within a box as ClieOS suggested, with lots of bubble wrap in the outer box to stop the inner box containing the impressions from moving around too much, and again lots of bubble wrap in the inner box containing the impressions to cushion those from any rough handling (also wrap the impressions in bubble wrap & secure with tape) got my two lots of impressions safely from Australia to 64Audio in the US :wink:

Edited a little - for clarity.

Thanks, I got in touch with JH audio and they said to wrap it in tissue paper and then throw it in a padded box. Seems like sound advice since tissue paper does seem to protect the impressions from moving around and wont corrupt the impressions itself.

How was the 1964 fit btw? Did they get it right on first shot? 

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #128 of 202
Thanks, I got in touch with JH audio and they said to wrap it in tissue paper and then throw it in a padded box. Seems like sound advice since tissue paper does seem to protect the impressions from moving around and wont corrupt the impressions itself.

How was the 1964 fit btw? Did they get it right on first shot? 

Yep, both the V3 & V6S fit perfectly first go. Fit pretty much entirely depends on how well done the impressions are unless the manufacturer is having a not so good day when they trim your impressions, pour/make your moulds or finish them.

Using an audiologist who knows what they're doing or is able to follow instructions to the letter if they've never taken impressions for CIEM's before is where it's at for that reason.

Yep tissue paper should work fine as well, as long as they don't move around too much in transit & are protected from a bit of rough handling (you know how postal services can be).

Hope everything goes smoothly for you :wink:

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #129 of 202

You should always check with the manufacturer as to which method is best for their brand of ciems.  Don't want to aggravate the situation.  As a rule I've found I cope with closed mouth impressions better than open as ever ymmv!

Well said. The bite block is actually a negative for some physiologies. Every ear is different, not just in size and shape, but in how the canal moves in response to jaw movement. Sensaphonics does not use bite blocks for impressions in our Musicians Hearing Clinic.

Flexibility to maintain seal is one of the big advantages to soft silicone. But I digress.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #130 of 202

Well said. The bite block is actually a negative for some physiologies. Every ear is different, not just in size and shape, but in how the canal moves in response to jaw movement. Sensaphonics does not use bite blocks for impressions in our Musicians Hearing Clinic.

Flexibility to maintain seal is one of the big advantages to soft silicone. But I digress.

Yes, it's also worth pointing out, though, that some people are very naive in the way they bite on a block, and allow far more jaw pressure than they should, which can substantially alter the desired jaw position and ear canal state whilst the silicone is curing.

Another factor is the position of the bite block - some use it to open their jaw half an inch, others an inch, and others almost an inch-&-a-half, depending on the orientation of the rectangular block.

I've even seen some people mention that they were told by their audiologist to place the bite block on one side of their mouth, between their molars! Great way to expand the rear of the jaw incorrectly and to introduce unnecessary asymmetry into the jaw position.

So.... one person's apples aren't always the same as another persons apples, when it comes to the topic of using a bite-block (or not).

beerchug.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #131 of 202

Well, I'm waiting on my Sensaphonics to see how they go. I was encouraged to move my jaw around as I do when performing. I love the sound of my Future Sonics, but the lack of a really good seal is driving me nuts. I've sent them back a number of times and feel like I'm just annoying them at this point.

I used a bit block with those impressions. Weirdly, I experienced the opposite of the poster above: when I close my mouth my seal doesn't get tighter. It gets worse.

At this point, I'm using ER4s's with foam tips for the best isolation. If the 2X-S's from Sensaphonics don't seal right, I'm done with CIEMs. I really want to stop the progression of tinnitus. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #132 of 202
My audiologist didn't have me use a bite block and even talked to me while the impressions were curing.  I am waiting for them to arrive.  Are they going to be rubbish?

Fwiw, he was super experienced, having done this for many years and personally knew the Etymotic founder.  I am getting the tips for my HF5 (relatively inexpensive) so not the end of the world if they aren't perfect.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #133 of 202
Hi, everyone. I just got my first pair of custom IEMs (JH Audio Angie). I have some concerns and I was hoping someone with more experience could comment on my observations.

Firstly, when I got my impressions done, the audiologist didn't have me use a bite block. During the process I can't remember how wide / relaxed I held open my mouth (but I did try to keep it still and constant the whole time). As a note, I have some sideways motion when opening my jaw wide (i.e. my bite isn't purely up and down at its widest but has some horizontal motion, almost as if it's hyper-extending or dislocating). If I open my mouth only in the most relaxed manner possible then there is no sideways movement.

Using my IEMs, there seems to be a good seal regardless how wide I open my mouth (although when opening and closing I can hear some a "sticky" sound which I assume is the IEM slightly peeling to and fro the ear canal).

However, my main concern is how the sound changes when I open my mouth wide vs keeping it in the normal closed, resting position: When my mouth is wide the sound seems more clear, the highs a little more pronounced, and the spatialization seems tighter with more space in between the sounds. When I close my mouth in its resting position the sound seems to muffle slightly and the sound sources seem to "stretch-out" a bit. That is, sounds that seem more in front of me when my mouth is wide open now sounds a little more spread out side to side when I close my mouth and it's harder to pin point an exact location in front of me where the source is located (I could visualize a singing voice as a sphere when my mouth is open but more of an ellipsoid when my mouth is closed). Also, there is significantly more resonance in my head with my mouth closed than open: I can hear my breath, tongue and voice more in my head and resonant (bassy) than with my mouth open.

OR, perhaps this is all normal and just what you experience by having better low frequency response and/or better seal (which I'm achieving maybe in the closed mouth position?). I really don't know! So can someone help me?

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #134 of 202
  Hi, everyone. I just got my first pair of custom IEMs (JH Audio Angie). I have some concerns and I was hoping someone with more experience could comment on my observations.

Firstly, when I got my impressions done, the audiologist didn't have me use a bite block. During the process I can't remember how wide / relaxed I held open my mouth (but I did try to keep it still and constant the whole time). As a note, I have some sideways motion when opening my jaw wide (i.e. my bite isn't purely up and down at its widest but has some horizontal motion, almost as if it's hyper-extending or dislocating). If I open my mouth only in the most relaxed manner possible then there is no sideways movement.

Using my IEMs, there seems to be a good seal regardless how wide I open my mouth (although when opening and closing I can hear some a "sticky" sound which I assume is the IEM slightly peeling to and fro the ear canal).

However, my main concern is how the sound changes when I open my mouth wide vs keeping it in the normal closed, resting position: When my mouth is wide the sound seems more clear, the highs a little more pronounced, and the spatialization seems tighter with more space in between the sounds. When I close my mouth in its resting position the sound seems to muffle slightly and the sound sources seem to "stretch-out" a bit. That is, sounds that seem more in front of me when my mouth is wide open now sounds a little more spread out side to side when I close my mouth and it's harder to pin point an exact location in front of me where the source is located (I could visualize a singing voice as a sphere when my mouth is open but more of an ellipsoid when my mouth is closed). Also, there is significantly more resonance in my head with my mouth closed than open: I can hear my breath, tongue and voice more in my head and resonant (bassy) than with my mouth open.

OR, perhaps this is all normal and just what you experience by having better low frequency response and/or better seal (which I'm achieving maybe in the closed mouth position?). I really don't know! So can someone help me?

from my experience, i used the biting block as suggested by the audiologist...
it seems you have a fit issue...does your ciem sits freely in your ear or you can feel the pressure in it? 

I would suggest give it 2 weeks first, maybe you are still adjusting to it...
but definitely its a fit issue...some people incur alot of ear movements when the mouth is open or closed...some people don't...it depends thats what my audiologist said.

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #135 of 202

Well, I'm waiting on my Sensaphonics to see how they go. I was encouraged to move my jaw around as I do when performing. I love the sound of my Future Sonics, but the lack of a really good seal is driving me nuts. I've sent them back a number of times and feel like I'm just annoying them at this point.

I used a bit block with those impressions. Weirdly, I experienced the opposite of the poster above: when I close my mouth my seal doesn't get tighter. It gets worse.

At this point, I'm using ER4s's with foam tips for the best isolation. If the 2X-S's from Sensaphonics don't seal right, I'm done with CIEMs. I really want to stop the progression of tinnitus. 

How is that working out for you, zambiland? Have received your Sensaphonics yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back