Things to consider before getting your custom IEM impressions done. The perfect fit.
Jun 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #106 of 202
I've now had impressions of my ears taken twice.  Once by Brannan of Noble Audio at a trade show, (bite block used, long cure time, one ear at a time, instructed to hold jaw as motionless as possible, much drool......  

Impressions were taken by Heather at Sensaphonics for their silcone sleeves from my Shure 846s, and she did both ears at the same time, and had me do jaw gyrations, for lack of a better term, to make sure they would work properly. They set quite quickly as well.

Both sets fit quite well, and sound great- so I am not sure what any of that implies, other than I am very happy with both of my custom-molded products.

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #108 of 202
Brannan tokk the impressions for free, as part of the purchase of the custom K10s.  He said 7 minutes per ear, and it was was at Axpona in late April, and with a belated rush fee paid at the end of May, I got them June 18th - I think thy were a few days over on their rush schedule...

Hope that helps.  Also hope you were asking me those questions.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #110 of 202
Giving serious thought to jumping on-board ciem train. Has been said in Canjam London 2015 thread all ciem manufacturers in attendance can take impressions. Wanted to know how much time that would eat up
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the one condition to that is that you have to buy a CIEM from them!
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #111 of 202
So when instructions say closed mouth, is it just the mouth that's closed or is it the jaws resting together as well?

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #112 of 202
the difference of getting good impressions + good company, vs bad impressions + bad iem company:

The one of the left (big one) is the good one: nice snug fit, super comfortable, isolation to the max and clear crisp sound (especially lows).
The one on the right (tiny one) is the bad one: bad fit, very loose, isolation is average and lows non existent (due to no seal)

The mistake I made was a) audiologist wasn't experienced, b) not following the proper bite block instructions

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #113 of 202
perfect example of great impressions one can hope to get: 
by @dubliners
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684787/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns/13560#post_11811604

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #114 of 202
i see abit huge difference on the size though...next time get the pro audiologist'

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #115 of 202
the difference of getting good impressions + good company, vs bad impressions + bad iem company:

The one of the left (big one) is the good one: nice snug fit, super comfortable, isolation to the max and clear crisp sound (especially lows).

The one on the right (tiny one) is the bad one: bad fit, very loose, isolation is average and lows non existent (due to no seal)

The mistake I made was a) audiologist wasn't experienced, b) not following the proper bite block instructions

Noticed you're in Melbourne, just out of curiosity, who did the not so good impressions ? PM me if you don't want to publicly name & shame :wink:

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #116 of 202
Noticed you're in Melbourne, just out of curiosity, who did the not so good impressions ? PM me if you don't want to publicly name & shame :wink:

Some place on Collins St - http://betterhearing.com.au/ - it seems their website doesn't work (and I know that they are no longer int he building they were in). But remember, this was at least half my fault.

I know that when we did them I didn't use the bit block properly - I said "since I don't have my mouth open all the time why should I do that know" - only later on I realised by opening your mouth/jaw it opens the ear canal!

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #117 of 202
I totally agree with the conclusion of "quality impressions, pro audiologist, quality manufacturer" as key elements in creating a properly fitted CIEM. 

However, the bite block is not universal, and is certainly not a required element. Different ear canals move differently in both size and shape when the mouth is opened. Works great for some, not for others. I've never used a bite block and never had a fit issue.

Just sayin'.

Oh, and a side note to you Aussies... There is now a Sensaphonics AU.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #118 of 202
I just came across this thread and wanted to say a big thanks to those who contributed. I have always had problems getting decent impressions and was told by one audiologist it's a combination of having large ears and canals that go from being wide to very narrow. My latest set of impressions turned out like this:

So far from ideal at the ends. It looks like I'll have to have another set done. Hopefully it will be 4th time lucky!

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #119 of 202
  I just came across this thread and wanted to say a big thanks to those who contributed. I have always had problems getting decent impressions and was told by one audiologist it's a combination of having large ears and canals that go from being wide to very narrow. My latest set of impressions turned out like this:

So far from ideal at the ends. It looks like I'll have to have another set done. Hopefully it will be 4th time lucky!

also, before having impressions ask the audiologist to clean well your ears specially on the 2nd bend area, because sometimes the earwax will cause bubble and you may have issues on the fit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back