Thin Headphones to Put Inside Motorcycle Helmet
Jul 5, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #17 of 32
I have tried the KSC75 in my helmet & couldn't get it to work. So I ride with my shure e4c's. I like to ride with just enough music to allow me to still hear outside sounds - so i don't get a good tight seal with the Shures & it works fine.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried the KSC75 in my helmet & couldn't get it to work. So I ride with my shure e4c's. I like to ride with just enough music to allow me to still hear outside sounds - so i don't get a good tight seal with the Shures & it works fine.

I used to have e4g's, and currently have um3x, which isolate better. I tried the um3x, fully inserted, and on my bike, at speeds >50mph, I would certainly be damaging my hearing from wind noise alone. They just don't block enough sound compared to earplugs. With the ksc75 and earplugs, my ears are likely subject to not more than 90dB, with music.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 32
I use WESC Snares and also if you don't mind a phone in your ear, I love my SkullCandy Over the ear phones. They can be a little uncomfortable but I like to hear deep bass and it is crystal clear. Good luck!
Kat

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #21 of 32
Hi!

I know that this thread is old but why open a new one when I'm looking for the same thing. I'm wearing earplugs all the time to preserve my hearing and even with 33NNR one it is still to loud for me. So I'm looking for thin close cans. The only option I see for the moment is the PX200 II. 

I don't really expect an high quality sound with all the noise and the earplugs, so should I choose something cheaper and just crank the volume like the KSC75?

Is it possible for a PX200 II owner to post the headphone dimensions to see if it will fit my helmet earcup.

Do you guys have anything else in mind?

IEM is not really an option for me because I need to wear 33NNR earplugs. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #22 of 32
@johndh1: Did you give the Sennheiser PX 200 II a try in your helmet? I'm looking at them for my Shoei Neotec which has some decent ear pockets but am wondering if anyone else has been able to make them work inside a full face.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #23 of 32
@johndh1: Did you give the Sennheiser PX 200 II a try in your helmet? I'm looking at them for my Shoei Neotec which has some decent ear pockets but am wondering if anyone else has been able to make them work inside a full face.

I don't know if you realize that you just bumped a 4 month old post?

Honestly, and just a plug for hearing health, I couldn't imagine using anything in a motorcycle helmet that you wouldn't have to turn up to dangerous levels to drown out surrounding noise. IEM's would be the safest thing for your hearing but maybe not for your perception of the road and hearing your surroundings...

Just my 2c.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #24 of 32
I fully realize I bumped a thread that's actually over 3 years old (from the OP's initial post date). Good to know there's still a pulse!

I would love a pair of IEMs, but there's a cost factor there that I'm not ready to spend yet. Plus, I'm experimenting with having a self-contained audio system in my helmet. I can clip an iPod Shuffle to the underside of my chin curtain and mount the speakers inside the helmet so I don't have to keep fussing with earbuds and wires all the time. It's really just for fun and something to tinker with.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #25 of 32
I fully realize I bumped a thread that's actually over 3 years old (from the OP's initial post date). Good to know there's still a pulse!

I would love a pair of IEMs, but there's a cost factor there that I'm not ready to spend yet. Plus, I'm experimenting with having a self-contained audio system in my helmet. I can clip an iPod Shuffle to the underside of my chin curtain and mount the speakers inside the helmet so I don't have to keep fussing with earbuds and wires all the time. It's really just for fun and something to tinker with.

Well like mentioned above to the kcs75. Best thing to try.

Look up the "quarter mod" which is easy to do for better sound. If you really want to get adventurous tinkering around, you can do the "kramer mod" which you can find on here too.

You could also try one of the popular budget IEMs like the SHE3580 or the JVC FX40. Those could be attached somehow to your helmet if you worked it out where you just plugged in the helmet and stuck them in your ears from inside the helmet? Just an idea to save your hearing :)

Anyway good luck with your tinkering.......

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #27 of 32
Check out these headphones, they are a little pricey but how thin they are as well as the sound quality a must have for anyone wanting to listen while riding! They will fit in the slot of your helmet without touching your ears. Most states do not allow you to wear headphones while riding, it's considered wreckless driving and can get quite expensive for tickets as well as an increase in insurance. As long as your headphones dont touch your ears they are considered "speakers" and will not obstruct with any legal issues! If you're looking for something a little less expensive, check out the panasonic clip on the ear types, just like the KOSS..decent sound for what they are. I route the cable through the back of the helmet and have it come out the back down into my jacket. Good luck on your search!

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #30 of 32
I know I'm replying to this thread 5 years later, but I just road tested a pair of Audio Technica Ear-Fit Headphones ATH-EQ300M BK on ebay for $14.00.  These over the ear drivers are thin enough to fit perfectly on the ears inside a helmet.  And they can handle all the boosted bass you can throw at 'em.  Sound better, in fact, inside a helmet.  Aoyama & Co. shipped from Japan and delivered via USPS in about a week...I've tried noise cancelling ear buds and isolating buds but these headphones give a bigger sound and help block wind noise better than buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back