ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Dec 14, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #3,511 of 4,752
I should have posted this here:

---------------------------
I just got the Monarch mkii and I am listening now. Initial impression is that I think this is tuned to my own personal preference curve. Everything just sounds true. The reduction in the sub bass and shifting the bass shelf to the right puts the overall tuning into a better balance. I am not getting that initial reaction of being blown away with something like I was with the EE EVO bass or the UM Indigo Imaging. But, everything just sounds correct. I think this may be my palette cleansing neutral. Been listening for a few hours and perhaps I am adjusting to them, but the longer I listen, the more I like them. I did switch to Indigo for a short time to see how they compare. You can definitely tell the difference in imaging and what I am hearing is interesting. The Monarch has more traditional imaging with outstanding tuning. So, when I listen to Classical music and Jazz, it sounds more correct than MEST. MEST is playing tricks with the imaging. Maybe that is the bone conduction driver at work. It almost sounds non-fixed which seems to give it more dimensionality and assisting with the 3D effect. I think the Monarch mkii has more reference tuning and makes Classical Music and Jazz sound outstanding because it is more true. Not colored or emphasized in one part of the FR curve than another. It has very good treble air for piano harmonics and the treble is not fatiguing like the EE Odin can be. I cannot say that the mkii leads technically in bass, mids or treble as EVO and Odin have better bass and VE8 has better mids, but it does everything well and in balance to my ear. If imaging is the secret sauce for the Indigo, then the tuning is the outstanding feature of the Monarch mkii for me. It may not be suitable for everyone, but I thought the Monarch OG was my preference curve and this is definitely better. I wonder what Thieaudio can do in $2000 product?

From a build perspective, Thieaudio hit a home run. Everything is an upgrade to the Monarch OG. The cable is a lot nicer. It has connectors that plug into the cable like DUNU and they feel very nice. The shells are a bit smaller which should work well for people with smaller ears. The nozzle may be the largest I have ever seen. It's huge and may be a problem for people with small ear canals. The unboxing experience is definitely more high end. Given the overall experience in sound, build and quality, this IEM should be priced well above the $999 that it currently sells at. If they can scale up, it will blow away everything at its price point like it does at under $1000 now.

What do like better. Indigo or Monarch mkii? Indigo for fun and Monarch mkii for reference and analytical listening. I would have to go with Indigo, but Monarch mkii is a keeper. Something else has to go. Probably IER-M9 since they mostly overlap and Monarch is way better.

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #3,512 of 4,752
Now remove that grill ThieAudio put on the IEM, and it sounds twice as good. There's no filter behind the grill. With the grill off, there are no sound deflections of the upper midrange and treble. paired with Cayin N3 Pro and N6 MKII plus a host of removable DAC+AMP and Acoustune AET08 Tips, I'm in heaven. The end game for me.
Oh, nice! Some confirmation that the AET08 will fit on the chonky Monarch MKII nozzle. I use the AET07 (size L) on other iEMs and love them, but on the MKII's, size L prevents a slightly deeper insertion. I hesitated going down to size M, so was instead looking at the size L AET08, which are slightly less in diameter, but also slightly longer. I just wasn't sure if the AET08 stems could accommodate the MKII thick nozzle.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #3,513 of 4,752

I just got the Monarch mkii and I am listening now. Initial impression is that I think this is tuned to my own personal preference curve. Everything just sounds true. The reduction in the sub bass and shifting the bass shelf to the right puts the overall tuning into a better balance. I am not getting that initial reaction of being blown away with something like I was with the EE EVO bass or the UM Indigo Imaging. But, everything just sounds correct. I think this may be my palette cleansing neutral. Been listening for a few hours and perhaps I am adjusting to them, but the longer I listen, the more I like them. I did switch to Indigo for a short time to see how they compare. You can definitely tell the difference in imaging and what I am hearing is interesting. The Monarch has more traditional imaging with outstanding tuning. So, when I listen to Classical music and Jazz, it sounds more correct than MEST. MEST is playing tricks with the imaging. Maybe that is the bone conduction driver at work. It almost sounds non-fixed which seems to give it more dimensionality and assisting with the 3D effect. I think the Monarch mkii has more reference tuning and makes Classical Music and Jazz sound outstanding because it is more true. Not colored or emphasized in one part of the FR curve than another. It has very good treble air for piano harmonics and the treble is not fatiguing like the EE Odin can be. I cannot say that the mkii leads technically in bass, mids or treble as EVO and Odin have better bass and VE8 has better mids, but it does everything well and in balance to my ear. If imaging is the secret sauce for the Indigo, then the tuning is the outstanding feature of the Monarch mkii for me. It may not be suitable for everyone, but I thought the Monarch OG was my preference curve and this is definitely better. I wonder what Thieaudio can do in $2000 product?

From a build perspective, Thieaudio hit a home run. Everything is an upgrade to the Monarch OG. The cable is a lot nicer. It has connectors that plug into the cable like DUNU and they feel very nice. The shells are a bit smaller which should work well for people with smaller ears. The nozzle may be the largest I have ever seen. It's huge and may be a problem for people with small ear canals. The unboxing experience is definitely more high end. Given the overall experience in sound, build and quality, this IEM should be priced well above the $999 that it currently sells at. If they can scale up, it will blow away everything at its price point like it does at under $1000 now.

What do like better. Indigo or Monarch mkii? Indigo for fun and Monarch mkii for reference and analytical listening. I would have to go with Indigo, but Monarch mkii is a keeper. Something else has to go. Probably IER-M9 since they mostly overlap and Monarch is way better.
Very interesting - seems Monarch is what I am looking for given how my IEMs are being structured. Definitely still want to try Indigo at some point, so many good impressions that it can't be ignored.

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #3,514 of 4,752

Indigo sounds really attractive but > $2500? I think MEST Mk2 is ~$1500. Others in this thread have also favourably compared MEST to Monarch Mk2 but it seems you elucidate how INDIGO differs?- or are you in fact describing the difference in monarch Mk2 vs MEST (you use both indigo and mest above seemingly interchangeably so I assume your impression above is Monarch Mk2 vs Indigo only)? Or is there not (so much) difference between MEST Mk2 and Indigo?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #3,516 of 4,752
I am looking to buy an Oracle. I need 3.5 and 4.4. Do I get the 2.5 and that comes with two adapters? Is that the best way, with stock cable?
Yes, if you purchase the Oracle with 2.5mm it should come with 3.5mm & 4.4mm adapters...

Dec 17, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3,517 of 4,752
after reading about the MKII, i'm tempted to sell my SA6 and Timeless and buy it.

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #3,518 of 4,752
Are the MKII a good complement to the IER-Z1R?

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #3,519 of 4,752
Are the MKII a good complement to the IER-Z1R?
I been having a good time with both.

I been using u12t / monarch mk2 when I get tired of Z1R bass or crave some mids and vocals.

Vice versa, I use Z1R when I want some thicker bass :)

Dec 18, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #3,520 of 4,752
Very nice comparison. I was in critical decision between monarch and clairvoyance too but i made up my mind to get clairvoyance instead and really curious about the twins, on other side LZ A7 also interesting, then come the volt but since they are using sonion BAs, i still more to the twins but then story about delays made me not very rush to buy. And between my confusion, there was magical deal out of nowhere. A chance that won't come 2 times.
I didn't think twice and today they are here on my rig
20201008_150552_HDR~2.jpg

S tier!

But definitely, if i have chance i still want to hear those twins, i think Thieaudio really did great job in tuning the twins. But for now gone my budget for them lol.
What is that that the Sony's are connected to?

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #3,521 of 4,752
Probably too early to ask since the Monarch MK2 hasn't been out that long yet, but what are the impressions of its build quality so far?
From posts in this thread, some of the other tribrid models mainly had issues with the dynamic driver dying, or the 2 pin sockets being too easily damaged.

Can anyone provide any insight on whether the above issues have been addressed in the MK2?
I see in their product description that the MK2 has a new DD, and I wondered if that was because of the above problem with the old one.

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #3,522 of 4,752
I been having a good time with both.

I been using u12t / monarch mk2 when I get tired of Z1R bass or crave some mids and vocals.

Vice versa, I use Z1R when I want some thicker bass :)
Right now I am trying to decide if i just want to settle with my current IEMs (Z1R, Dunu SA6, 7Hz Timeless, KBear Believe) or if i want to sell all but the Z1R and try out the MKII.

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #3,523 of 4,752
does anyone know what the stock tips that come with the monarch mkii and if they can be bought 3rd party?

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #3,524 of 4,752
does anyone know what the stock tips that come with the monarch mkii and if they can be bought 3rd party?
Did you find any of them good for you? I am using Spin-fit cp145s fairly successfully, though my left canal is smaller than the right and they tend to slip after a while. I have a ousting aet08 larges coming soon. Comply 500 larges work ok too for seal but are uncomfortable. Still on the search for tip perfection!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,525 of 4,752
sorry yes i liked the white silicone the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back