ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Dec 25, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #3,541 of 4,771
More about tips with Mkii. I was trying the Final type E clear at home, thought they were pretty nice and wanted to try them some more. So I kept wearing them on the go, on a crowded -yet quiet- bus, and noticed quite a noticeable drop in sub bass and bass in general.

I'm sure it's quite a known thing but definitely something to consider too when choosing tips.

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #3,542 of 4,771
Also using the final audio type e clear tips, but still chasing that eartip dragon because I also feel like the bass comes and goes sometimes. Have some radius deep mounts from ebay on the way - will post impressions after listening to them for a few days.

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #3,544 of 4,771
Hey everyone, here's my Monarch MKII review: https://www.headphones.com/community/reviews-learning-and-news/thieaudio-monarch-mkii-review

monarchmkii6.PNG

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #3,545 of 4,771
Man, tonight was a reminder that I need to sometimes step outside my self-built paradigms. Since coming back to the hobby spring of 2020, I have been rolling along assuming that I **need** size L eartips, specifically, 13.7mm diameter Acoustune AET07. I have somewhat recessed ear canals, with a very large outer canal. Thus, anything other than shallow'ish insertion is typically not possible unless a IEM has long nozzles.

In any event, I received some Acoustune AET08 (size L, but the -08 are smaller diameter than size L -07) and size M AET07. The -08 I didn't care for, and the stems are narrower and take some patience to fit onto the chonky MKII nozzles. Not satisfied with the size L -08's sound, I attached size M AET07 earlier tonight with somewhat of an eyeroll as I just KNEW they would be too small. WRONG. They work terrifically **in my ears with the MKII's** for a, not "deep", but deepr than normal for me insertion for a IEM of this shell type.

And they sound terrific! Previously, with size L AET07 (and various other tips), I found the bass response to be "fine....maybe 'good'". Now? Most definitely really, really good. Not at the IE 900 level for me, but at a level that works for everything I listen to -- 40% electronic (ambient/house/techno/some trance), 40% jazz (from bop to contemporary), remaining 20% mostly alternative & progressive rock.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #3,546 of 4,771
Man, tonight was a reminder that I need to sometimes step outside my self-built paradigms. Since coming back to the hobby spring of 2020, I have been rolling along assuming that I **need** size L eartips, specifically, 13.7mm diameter Acoustune AET07. I have somewhat recessed ear canals, with a very large outer canal. Thus, anything other than shallow'ish insertion is typically not possible unless a IEM has long nozzles.

In any event, I received some Acoustune AET08 (size L, but the -08 are smaller diameter than size L -07) and size M AET07. The -08 I didn't care for, and the stems are narrower and take some patience to fit onto the chonky MKII nozzles. Not satisfied with the size L -08's sound, I attached size M AET07 earlier tonight with somewhat of an eyeroll as I just KNEW they would be too small. WRONG. They work terrifically **in my ears with the MKII's** for a, not "deep", but deepr than normal for me insertion for a IEM of this shell type.

And they sound terrific! Previously, with size L AET07 (and various other tips), I found the bass response to be "fine....maybe 'good'". Now? Most definitely really, really good. Not at the IE 900 level for me, but at a level that works for everything I listen to -- 40% electronic (ambient/house/techno/some trance), 40% jazz (from bop to contemporary), remaining 20% mostly alternative & progressive rock.
I myself find the AET07 and AET08 Medium sizes to be perfectly comfortable with the 07 being more comfortable long-term. I also prefer the more laid-back sound sig of the 07's but 08 gives crazy details.

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #3,548 of 4,771
any opinions on MEST MKII vs Monarch MKII? I'm on the fence trying to decide which one would compliment the IER-Z1R better...

Dec 27, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #3,549 of 4,771
More about tips with Mkii. I was trying the Final type E clear at home, thought they were pretty nice and wanted to try them some more. So I kept wearing them on the go, on a crowded -yet quiet- bus, and noticed quite a noticeable drop in sub bass and bass in general.

I'm sure it's quite a known thing but definitely something to consider too when choosing tips.
I found that to be true too, lost some bass with Final tips. I tried Azla Sedna shorts and they are nice, but a little bright. I am using Symbio Orange Peels with them and they aren't bright and the Bass is actually better than the stock tips imo.

Dec 28, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #3,550 of 4,771
I found that to be true too, lost some bass with Final tips. I tried Azla Sedna shorts and they are nice, but a little bright. I am using Symbio Orange Peels with them and they aren't bright and the Bass is actually better than the stock tips imo.
I have 4 kinds of AZLA tips and Acoustune AET07 & AET08. My favorite is 1 - AZLA SednaEarfit Short (not SednaEarfitLight Short. I have these as well but the former work best) & 2 - AET07. They really open up the soundstage while maintaining details. Bore size really affects sound quality and instrument separation on Hybrid and Tribrid IEMs. Anything smaller than the 4.5 bore size on the monarch starts chocking the sound

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #3,551 of 4,771
^^I've been a huge fan of the (regular bore length) AZLA SednaEarfits (both the black and clear ones) on other IEMs, but for whatever reason, they just don't work for me on the MKII's. I know there is a new version of the SednaEarfits with a softer/less firm material (called Vivid Edition), but I can't source them here in the U.S., so might bite the bullet and get them from Amazon.jp

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #3,552 of 4,771
Just checked the Sedna vivid and I can't bring myself to buy an all size pack just to try something that may not even satisfy me.

The Deep mount are suited me quite well but even if the L size is loose-ish on my right ear.

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #3,553 of 4,771
Thanks for awesome review as always.

How would you compare the monarch mkii and the Odin ??
Price is significantly different but the FR graph not so different....

Many thanks
I had a session with Odin for a few days on loan thanks to @tgx78, and I can say for a certain that they are quite different.

To me, Odin have 1k-2k range that personally doesn't fit me, quite forwarded making vocals slight off to me, compared to more neutral vocals on Monarch Mk2.
However, Odin does have higher mid resolution than Monarch Mk2, slight? and ever slight enough to notice on some track.

Bass is quite different as well, I really love Odin's bass, has clean mid bass and authoritive punch on the subbass. Very quick like BA bass but very strong authortive like DD. (funny to say authoritive like DD, because its DD bass)
Monarch Mk2 on the otherhand seem to have soft and lean mid bass incomparison to Odin but have thicker subbass.

side note: I couldn't have both Odin and U12T on hands, but Odin bass did remind me of U12T.

Hope this helps :D

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #3,554 of 4,771
I had a session with Odin for a few days on loan thanks to @tgx78, and I can say for a certain that they are quite different.

To me, Odin have 1k-2k range that personally doesn't fit me, quite forwarded making vocals slight off to me, compared to more neutral vocals on Monarch Mk2.
However, Odin does have higher mid resolution than Monarch Mk2, slight? and ever slight enough to notice on some track.

Bass is quite different as well, I really love Odin's bass, has clean mid bass and authoritive punch on the subbass. Very quick like BA bass but very strong authortive like DD. (funny to say authoritive like DD, because its DD bass)
Monarch Mk2 on the otherhand seem to have soft and lean mid bass incomparison to Odin but have thicker subbass.

side note: I couldn't have both Odin and U12T on hands, but Odin bass did remind me of U12T.

Hope this helps :D
Appreciate friend :)

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #3,555 of 4,771
Can anyone post size measurements for the Thieaudio Monarch MKII? Length of faceplate from tip to back, width of faceplate, length of nozzle from body and total length /depthfrom nozzle to faceplate and nozzle width.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back