ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #992 of 4,754
Off-topic: HQPlayer... Dang! IDK...
Barely discussed here at Head-Fi. Almost 300$ for a license, but right on the brink of biting the bullet and calling it a year or two, considering I've already spent $2Ks on the rest or my wired gear anyway!
Color me shocked, and share a thought, of course, if you wish! I might just be a n00b here, being tricked by some sort of black, misleading wizardry. :ksc75smile:

And now add Roon to control it (or just Roon since it also DSD upsampling, shaping, etc) for just a cheap 699$ (lifetime license). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

P.S.: I have gone this way, but just Roon...

Roon.PNG

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #993 of 4,754
Congratulations on you Monarch Butterfly breedin... er... purchase!

Little off-topic here, gentlemen, but not entirely and by no means trying to be an advocate of something.
I really felt I _had_ to share this with you fellow Twins Lovers (*aheurm*...doesn't sound nice if you put it this way but, you know what I meant=).

Well, trying to be concise, so far so short in my journey into the rabbithole I've always underestimated what DSD upsampling could bring to my 16/24bit 44/48k FLAC library, but eventually off I went embarked on an evaluation period with Signalyst's HQPlayer 4 Desktop and... Bwuoys, am I blown away!
Especially when I connected the Monarch (which I always use along with the M11Pro while out and about) to my balanced S.M.S.L 200 DAC/amp desktop combo...
A/B testing against DeaDBeeF, mpd, Strawberry, a number of other players and even an upsampling JRiver - straight thru ALSA - easily revealed how much extra layering, texture and spatial information (depth and height in particular) I was missing out.
When pushing the Player to the limit of my lappie's i7-9750H CPU and upsampling to DSD512 or 256 depending on the kind of shaping, I could tell how every single upsampling filter affacted the sound (high-frequencies grain most of all here) even on new tracks I wasn't familiar with, no broken sweat!

On-topic: such the Monarch is a magnifying glass into sound!

Off-topic: HQPlayer... Dang! IDK...
Barely discussed here at Head-Fi. Almost 300$ for a license, but right on the brink of biting the bullet and calling it a year or two, considering I've already spent $2Ks on the rest or my wired gear anyway!
Color me shocked, and share a thought, of course, if you wish! I might just be a n00b here, being tricked by some sort of black, misleading wizardry. :ksc75smile:
Thanks buddy, won't be breeding, it will be a tickling sensation feeling of Monarch Butterfly in my :L3000:.😄

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #994 of 4,754
Anyone here that have tried both universal Monarch and Custom Monarch?

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #995 of 4,754
So here are a few additional thoughts on these two IEM since my last comparison post (#949 on page 64). I will add these final thoughts to that original post as well for future reference.
  • Along the lines of what I previously stated it is very clear that the Monarch is the easy choice for electronic-based music.
  • On the Monarch I will occasionally notice the pretty sharp bass shelf with some rock/alternative/classic rock music and it sounds a little strange where the bass tones will seem a little cut off. I will try and list some song examples in the future. The Clairvoyance is definitely the most balanced of the two and is easily more preferable for rock/alternative/classic rock genres.
  • The Monarch has superior sub-bass but the Clairvoyance is much more balanced and warms up the mids in a more satisfying way.
  • If you never heard the Monarch bass the Clairvoyance is still a very tastefully boosted bass experience that works with more genres overall

And finally a few important hardware observations:
  • On my first Clairvoyance set the left side 2-pin connector could rock a little bit when fully inserted and over the course of a lengthy listening session the 2 pin connector would slowly work it's way loose of the IEM. It was such a problem that the set was returned and kindly replaced my Linsoul. The replacement Clairvoyance did not seem to exhibit the same issue.
  • On my Monarachs I experienced the exact same issue however the 2-pin connector would stop working its way out once it was maybe 1-2 mm "loose".
  • I did however end up with an extra stock cable due to an error in my order request and the 3rd cable seems to have a much more snug fit and not be working its way out.
  • What does seem consistent though across all three units (Two Clairvoyances and one Monarch) is that the 2-pin holes on the IEMs seem to be just a tad wider than the 2 pins on the cables. Depending on small inconsistencies in the manufacturing of these cable connectors this results in the 2 pins being slight stretched apart as you insert them causing some outward pressure the further they are inserted. This is really nitpicky stuff but a little concerning given that I experienced this on two of the three units I had.
  • Lastly and maybe one of the most surprising observations was how different the shell and more specifically the nozzle length and angle are between the Monarch and Clairvoyance. They are definitely not "identical" twins. The short summary is the Clairvoyance has a shorter nozzle and the angle is more perpendicular to the face of the IEM. The Monarch has a slightly longer (deeper fitting) and more ergonomic (for my ear canals anyways) angle to the nozzle. Unfortunately since they added the lip on the nozzle to better grip the tips I am just unable to easily get a good fit with the Clairvoyance. I am pretty disappointed because I likely would have kept both if not for this issue. I am able to just pop the Monarchs in without even thinking and they are seated and sealed perfectly. After trying 8 or 10 different tips I still had to tinker with the insertion depth and angle of the Clairvoyance to get that perfect seal which just wasn't going to work for me. I think this will vary from person to person so do not assume my experience will be yours. But do consider the physical differences of the IEMs (compared to some IEMs you might already own) pictured below when making your decision:

monarch-clairvoyance4.jpg

Conclusion- I am keeping the Monarchs and they are are one if if not my favorite IEM or headphone for listening to electronic music which makes up about 80+% of my listening these days. They are just awesome!

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #996 of 4,754
One is chrunching bass you can hear. One is that ohmmmm you can feel😆

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #997 of 4,754
So here are a few additional thoughts on these two IEM since my last comparison post (#949 on page 64). I will add these final thoughts to that original post as well for future reference.
  • Along the lines of what I previously stated it is very clear that the Monarch is the easy choice for electronic-based music.
  • On the Monarch I will occasionally notice the pretty sharp bass shelf with some rock/alternative/classic rock music and it sounds a little strange where the bass tones will seem a little cut off. I will try and list some song examples in the future. The Clairvoyance is definitely the most balanced of the two and is easily more preferable for rock/alternative/classic rock genres.
  • The Monarch has superior sub-bass but the Clairvoyance is much more balanced and warms up the mids in a more satisfying way.
  • If you never heard the Monarch bass the Clairvoyance is still a very tastefully boosted bass experience that works with more genres overall

And finally a few important hardware observations:
  • On my first Clairvoyance set the left side 2-pin connector could rock a little bit when fully inserted and over the course of a lengthy listening session the 2 pin connector would slowly work it's way loose of the IEM. It was such a problem that the set was returned and kindly replaced my Linsoul. The replacement Clairvoyance did not seem to exhibit the same issue.
  • On my Monarachs I experienced the exact same issue however the 2-pin connector would stop working its way out once it was maybe 1-2 mm "loose".
  • I did however end up with an extra stock cable due to an error in my order request and the 3rd cable seems to have a much more snug fit and not be working its way out.
  • What does seem consistent though across all three units (Two Clairvoyances and one Monarch) is that the 2-pin holes on the IEMs seem to be just a tad wider than the 2 pins on the cables. Depending on small inconsistencies in the manufacturing of these cable connectors this results in the 2 pins being slight stretched apart as you insert them causing some outward pressure the further they are inserted. This is really nitpicky stuff but a little concerning given that I experienced this on two of the three units I had.
  • Lastly and maybe one of the most surprising observations was how different the shell and more specifically the nozzle length and angle are between the Monarch and Clairvoyance. They are definitely not "identical" twins. The short summary is the Clairvoyance has a shorter nozzle and the angle is more perpendicular to the face of the IEM. The Monarch has a slightly longer (deeper fitting) and more ergonomic (for my ear canals anyways) angle to the nozzle. Unfortunately since they added the lip on the nozzle to better grip the tips I am just unable to easily get a good fit with the Clairvoyance. I am pretty disappointed because I likely would have kept both if not for this issue. I am able to just pop the Monarchs in without even thinking and they are seated and sealed perfectly. After trying 8 or 10 different tips I still had to tinker with the insertion depth and angle of the Clairvoyance to get that perfect seal which just wasn't going to work for me. I think this will vary from person to person so do not assume my experience will be yours. But do consider the physical differences of the IEMs (compared to some IEMs you might already own) pictured below when making your decision:

monarch-clairvoyance4.jpg

Conclusion- I am keeping the Monarchs and they are are one if if not my favorite IEM or headphone for listening to electronic music which makes up about 80+% of my listening these days. They are just awesome!
It may be a good or bad situation here with the included new nozzle's lips. I might have to change tip roll again since I'm getting a good synergy with the lipless nozzle and Spinfit 145. Btw, is the new lip detachable?

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #998 of 4,754
20201214_174855.jpg

Theses are the lipless, for comparison. Monarch on the right.

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #999 of 4,754
My bad, Monarch on the left.

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,000 of 4,754
Hi everyone,

I just got my Monarchs last week and I'm really pleased with them. Although I can see the slight lack of warmth, I'm mostly fine but I've been using a parametric eq. f=180, gain=3dB and Q=1.4.

I gather that this maybe yields a similar bass to that of the Clarivoyance. But I am wondering if there could be other differences in the technicalities in addition to freq. response balance among them (mainly due to the driver configuration).

Can someone who owns both please compare them using a p.eq. with similar settings?

The idea is to determine if the differences between Clairs and Monarchs (in mid-bass) are only due to balance or maybe there is something to the drivers configuration also. Thanks!

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,001 of 4,754
Hi everyone,

I just got my Monarchs last week and I'm really pleased with them. Although I can see the slight lack of warmth, I'm mostly fine but I've been using a parametric eq. f=180, gain=3dB and Q=1.4.

I gather that this maybe yields a similar bass to that of the Clarivoyance. But I am wondering if there could be other differences in the technicalities in addition to freq. response balance among them (mainly due to the driver configuration).

Can someone who owns both please compare them using a p.eq. with similar settings?

The idea is to determine if the differences between Clairs and Monarchs (in mid-bass) are only due to balance or maybe there is something to the drivers configuration also. Thanks!
Just curious, have you tried a 20 Ohm impedance adapter, such as this one (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32810903635.html), on the Monarch?

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,002 of 4,754
Just curious, have you tried a 20 Ohm impedance adapter, such as this one (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32810903635.html), on the Monarch?
Hi,

Will try them in the future (when I get them), at the moment I could try a higher OI amp, the effect should be similar I guess.
Right now I've only played with eq. I'm coming from BA bass and I do feel the Monarchs bass a little looser, but very enjoyable (like a full sized sub).

I'm just curious regarding the differences in the number of bass drivers between Monarchs and Clairs

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,003 of 4,754
I just got a reply from Linsoul CS that they have discontinued the Monarch and “won’t sell again in our shop.” :*(

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #1,004 of 4,754
I just got a reply from Linsoul CS that they have discontinued the Monarch and “won’t sell again in our shop.” :*(

What about the orders they have already taken and why is it then still up in the shop?

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #1,005 of 4,754
1269B961-066E-42A6-88DF-CF98586AE59E.jpeg

this is what I was sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back