ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Jan 20, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #1,261 of 4,753
I am gonna pair the Monarch when they arrive this week with a iBasso DX160.
Probably later with the DX300 when it is available in Europe.
The Monarch sounds great out of the iBasso DC04 on my Pixel and even better out of my DX160. It is a great pairing with that DAP.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #1,262 of 4,753
Hey all,

My Monarch review has been published here: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/thieaudio-monarch-review-cut-and-dry

Again, just a very solid IEM all-round, and I had to really nitpick to articulate where I thought it fell short. Hope you'll enjoy the read!

IMG_4216.JPG

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #1,263 of 4,753
Jan 20, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #1,264 of 4,753
Jan 20, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,265 of 4,753
Hey all,

My Monarch review has been published here: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/thieaudio-monarch-review-cut-and-dry

Again, just a very solid IEM all-round, and I had to really nitpick to articulate where I thought it fell short. Hope you'll enjoy the read!
Thanks for the S8 comparison. I agree with many of your observations. I have had the S8 and Monarch for awhile and absolutely love the detail and balance of the S8. It actually has better bass texture than the Monarch just way less quantity.

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #1,266 of 4,753
I realize this OT for this thread, but how is the imaging of the u12t vs the MEST? Would you say the u12t also has a similar holographic imaging, with really good depth and layering?

OT but the MEST was more holographic to me than the U12t, though partly due to it's slightly more V shaped signature. However imaging is similar and for layering i would lean towards U12t.
For the price MEST is really good, however i sold the MEST as i found myself using the U12t more often and it was more comfortable to my ears.

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #1,267 of 4,753
Nice read👍😊May I know on your verdict, which tribrids have you compared too? I'm just curious.

Hey, other tribrids I've heard include the EE Odin, Valkyrie, Wraith, MMR Thummim, VE Elysium, Jomo Trinity Brass, and Noble Sultan. There's other stuff like the Rhapsodio Zombie MK.2 and MEST, but they're not strictly tribrids haha. Hope this helps clarify :)

What is this cable in the picture?

It's just a cheapie off of Aliexpress. I believe it's the **** 8 Core 7N Single Crystal Copper Upgraded Cable.

Thanks for the S8 comparison. I agree with many of your observations. I have had the S8 and Monarch for awhile and absolutely love the detail and balance of the S8. It actually has better bass texture than the Monarch just way less quantity.

The Monarch does have some plasticky-ness to its bass transient behavior. I didn't comment on it in the review, but I read afterwards that the Monarch apparently uses a DD and some of those BAs for the low end which makes sense. I'm guessing that's part of what keeps it so incisive though.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,268 of 4,753
Hey, other tribrids I've heard include the EE Odin, Valkyrie, Wraith, MMR Thummim, VE Elysium, Jomo Trinity Brass, and Noble Sultan. There's other stuff like the Rhapsodio Zombie MK.2 and MEST, but they're not strictly tribrids haha. Hope this helps clarify :)

It's just a cheapie off of Aliexpress. I believe it's the **** 8 Core 7N Single Crystal Copper Upgraded Cable.

The Monarch does have some plasticky-ness to its bass transient behavior. I didn't comment on it in the review, but I read afterwards that the Monarch apparently uses a DD and some of those BAs for the low end which makes sense. I'm guessing that's part of what keeps it so incisive though.

You know. The Clair has the same thing. Its 1x 10mm DD w/ 4x BA! I'll just say the combo has unique qualities.. being a massive amount of slam but also the finer texture bass detail. I think that its a nice combo and combines the best qualities of both types of drivers. Do you think that the 'plastic' tonality could also be considered bass with not much sub slam? In my mind BA cannot hit below 50hz with much energy yielding a sort of more boxy/plastic tone.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #1,269 of 4,753
I am gonna pair the Monarch when they arrive this week with a iBasso DX160.
Probably later with the DX300 when it is available in Europe.

Hey that has been my go-to pairing lately :p (I love it so much that I even make this my profile pic on headfi lol). I am curious to know your opinion on this. Also looking forward to Ibasso Dx300!

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,270 of 4,753
I had to really nitpick to articulate where I thought it fell short
glad i am not an audiophile and cannot hear coherency problems. :) i have read so many review where people said Monarchs are dry and not enough mid bass, so regretted i didnt order Clair... but now i think they have very nice signature. a few people in my country asked to sell em, but i'm more like 'no way!'. If Clairs are better, then those must be the best IEMs in the world. :)

these are 4th hybrid IEMs i have. first were iBasso it03, then CA Solaris and MEST. And i must admit that Monarchs i like the most.

Sources: Fiio M11 pro, QLS qa361 and Focus 2 (multibit desktop DAC/amp).

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #1,272 of 4,753
They finally have arrived!

IMG-20210122-145233.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,274 of 4,753
Jan 23, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,275 of 4,753
Has anyone had the chance to compare the Clairvoyance and the IER-M9? I'm certain the Monarch would be brighter and have a thinner lower midrange than the M9 but I'm curious as to where the Clairvoyance falls in that balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back