ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Jul 15, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #77 of 4,758
Should be a warning, L9 is underwhelming from my week with it
I find L9 bass to be wayyy strong, sometimes uncontrolled
I think resolution may be underwhelming for some, its not great but its not bad

Tho for bass... its quite up there in (Quantity > Quality) bass

Some reviews are up already on youtube!:)
All by the same guy xD
Eventually more people will get their hands on it, including Crinacle (some day) and when those days come, for sure we would get more reviews and impressions.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #78 of 4,758
L9 for me was a mess, for some reason I felt the tuning was problematic. Did not feel it hit anything for me. Just need to decide which I buy to test, still holding on to the JQ Tribrid and I am using it with a Little Bear amp and that just hits a lot of things for me the right way
Yea after reading the review by jwbrent here on headfi, I backed off...

I don't think so, the Clairvoyance seems to be the one
Are you saying by comparison with LX level ? Would you feel the Clairvoyance deserves its asking price and can be an all-rounder ?

I liked the JQ. I'm having a hard time holding back myself on a ~$700 set. I keep telling myself to stop getting caught up with these tri's and just buy what you really want and now that EE has "Odin" coming out...but what if ...
So you're waiting for Odin sama... :D the ultimate endgame for bass lovers :)?

Thanks for confirming this. Time to buy and try :)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #79 of 4,758
Yea after reading the review by jwbrent here on headfi, I backed off...

Are you saying by comparison with LX level ? Would you feel the Clairvoyance deserves its asking price and can be an all-rounder ?

So you're waiting for Odin sama... :D the ultimate endgame for bass lovers :)?

Thanks for confirming this. Time to buy and try :)
Will decide tomorrow if to get Clairvoyance or Conductor

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #81 of 4,758
I was already thinking the same thing about the Monarch mid bass, but you’re right, adding a little EQ is simple enough. The Monarch graph from 1KHz up looks amazing though, and a lot better than the Clair to me, but that’s just a graph. The Clair mids and treble may be fantastic sounding.

This takes nothing away from these new tribrids, which do seem to be great, but the more tribrids that come out, the more it seems the EJ07 just digs it’s heels into the ground and says I’m here to stay.

The thing about the EJ07 is it does NOT have hyped TOTL detail. It has realistic detail and plenty of it in the exact right places. I get the feeling many of these new sets are targeting TOTL tuning which is fine but EJ aint that. The only other IEMs I have heard that hit me square in the sweet spot for treble were the ER2/3, the EJ07, and actually the Tanchjim Oxygen. Im not saying they are super special or anything, just those are the ones that I find sound accurate to myself.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #82 of 4,758

just a quick one on the l9 (I got mine on pre order) as alot have mentioned it, i dont know if there is unit variation going on because I hate bass heavy iems and was determined to not like them as you can see from old comments in the l9 thread,,,, but after about a fortnight I was really taken by them the bass was incredidibly punchy for an iem and although loose was quite good quality and reached really low, my mids (on most songs) although a bit back were very clean and not interfeared with or clouded by the bass , but the treble I've found to be top top quality and greatly detailed giving a great sense of the room and have that airy feel,, , and finally the stage depth and imaging is insane!!! so they are now my go to for less of a critical listen when I'm out and about because they have a great seal to boot .......
recently I've been hearing alot of people not impressed do they need burn in imo yes but with such varied results and amount of people that love em on discord , I'm wondering if they shot em selfs in the foot with the wooden housing and are rushing the production or quality control is lacking???? with such variation in opinion it's got to be qc doesn't it?...... I really hope this doesn't happen with these tribrids I'm holding off just incase I start to notice the same thing.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #83 of 4,758
just a quick one on the l9 (I got mine on pre order) as alot have mentioned it, i dont know if there is unit variation going on because I hate bass heavy iems and was determined to not like them as you can see from old comments in the l9 thread,,,, but after about a fortnight I was really taken by them the bass was incredidibly punchy for an iem and although loose was quite good quality and reached really low, my mids (on most songs) although a bit back were very clean and not interfeared with or clouded by the bass , but the treble I've found to be top top quality and greatly detailed giving a great sense of the room and have that airy feel,, , and finally the stage depth and imaging is insane!!! so they are now my go to for less of a critical listen when I'm out and about because they have a great seal to boot .......
recently I've been hearing alot of people not impressed do they need burn in imo yes but with such varied results and amount of people that love em on discord , I'm wondering if they shot em selfs in the foot with the wooden housing and are rushing the production or quality control is lacking???? with such variation in opinion it's got to be qc doesn't it?...... I really hope this doesn't happen with these tribrids I'm holding off just incase I start to notice the same thing.
Mine is also preorder model as well with black resin, the only avg resolution is really compared with U12T which to me has quite a wide sound stage and imaging. Personally I really enjoy L9 on the price range. It have the guilty pleasure large bass, again it feel bit uncontrolled, but for what it is I really dig it. And even in treble like you said, its splashy and fun. I dont know the things people are talking about with L9, but for me Its just very fun and enjoyable tuning. If we are speaking pure technical, of course there would be few fault like mid bass just intrude to the upper mid, which is normal with that level of bass... But there is no perfect iem... all have their own pros and con :)

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #84 of 4,758

This is the shaky ground that Linsoul/ThieAudio is finding themselves on regarding significant sample variation and poor QC. It‘s been plaguing the L3, and we are finding about it more and more now. Is it as widespread with the L3 units as we think? I‘m not sure, perhaps not. Is it also affecting the L9s? Given the smaller numbers and much more custom nature of them, hopefully not. How about the V3 and V14? Will we need to worry about the Tribrids? As you can see, this is something that Linsoul needs to address, and quickly! If they establish a reputation for poor QC, no amount of launch hype will remedy this, and it will affect their entire lineup. Of course, QC issues are NOT isolated to ThieAudio, or even ChiFi for that matter, but it is a really big deal. I don’t know what’s gonna happen with UrbanFun. Word travels fast in the IEM world.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #85 of 4,758
I think people are over reacting with QC issue... legit this is why you dont blindly follow a reviewer for a product they claim to be the best thing in the world when its clearly not.
For sure there was a mismatch with audiodiscourse L3 drivers but it was address accordingly fairly quickly and the new L3 had no driver mismatch. I cant say that there is no QC issue for L3, but the more read on the thread, I just see people not liking L3 (which is fine since we all hear different as we have different ear structure) and just complaining it as QC.
I always had driver flex on DD iems, so I pretty much think its a norm to have driver flex on DD based iems.
(Just a random guy in the internet, dont shoot me)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #86 of 4,758
I think people are over reacting with QC issue... legit this is why you dont blindly follow a reviewer for a product they claim to be the best thing in the world when its clearly not.
For sure there was a mismatch with audiodiscourse L3 drivers but it was address accordingly fairly quickly and the new L3 had no driver mismatch. I cant say that there is no QC issue for L3, but the more read on the thread, I just see people not liking L3 (which is fine since we all hear different as we have different ear structure) and just complaining it as QC.
I always had driver flex on DD iems, so I pretty much think its a norm to have driver flex on DD based iems.
(Just a random guy in the internet, dont shoot me)
All good and fair points. That’s precisely why I tried to frame questions rather than statements. There have been some QC issues, but how extensive, I’m not sure. I‘m certainly hopeful that it isn’t a widespread issue, b/c I really like their products.

Those individuals who didn’t like the L3, or provided a lot of critiques, including Crinacle, seem to have very similar criticisms, which shows consistency rather than variability. The treble extension remarks are what I find peculiar, but then again, we all hear things differently and have different expectations/tastes.

I really like my L3 units, but sometimes they do get driver flex.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #88 of 4,758

Users who are viewing this thread

Back