thieaudio phantom information?
Sep 8, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #61 of 198
...anyone had a good amount of head time with Monolith 1060 before buying the Phantom...pluses minuses ?

Sep 8, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #62 of 198
When I auditioned the m1060 they didn't sound high end. The Phantoms have a liquid sound to them as of doing mods to them. The terrible sounds interesting nice low end. I did notice veil in the vocals when going from the Avia's to the Phantom. My brain adjusted to the Avias resolution that the phantom fell short. When I don't listen to better resolving headphones in my collection the phantoms are good to go.

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #63 of 198
BimqJ7u.jpg

HkRggbc.jpg

xVpBWiH.jpg

I hope the slight parallax, inconsistent positioning, ancient unit and reflection doesn't prevent this being a useful measurement of the cup, grill and screw dimensions.

Nice job. While I like the grill on my HE400i, I am interested in options for a more open and attractive gill for my Phantom.

Thanks for the effort but these won't do if you want the finished grill to have a tight/ close fit.

I took the grill out and measured for another HeadFier a couple days ago. Here is what I got:

The Diameter of the grill is 3 13/16.

The distance between the center of the screw holes diagonally is 3 5/8.

The distance between the center of the screw holes horizontally and vertically is 2 9/16.

The thickness of the metal grill is 1/32. However, there is room to double the thickness and still remain flush.

If I convert these to metric, which it should be as the chinese follow the system. Diameter : 96.837mm => 96.5 ~97 mm ; Screw hole square: 65.0875mm => 65mm Thickness: 0.793mm => 0.75mm ~0.8mm

From the picts here, looks like it can go up to 1.5mm in thickness.

And what about the screw holes? Those screw heads look to measure 2/16" or 1/8" from AJZ0's pict though. Are they threaded into the wood or into metal ? If its metal, then its probably a M2 thread. If its into wood, its probably an imperial thread self tapping screw.

Let me cook something up later in the day when I have some spare time. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #64 of 198
Thanks for the effort but these won't do if you want the finished grill to have a tight/ close fit.

If I convert these to metric, which it should be as the chinese follow the system. Diameter : 92.075mm => 92mm ; Screw hole square: 65.0875mm => 65mm Thickness: 0.793mm => 0.75mm ~0.8mm

And what about the screw holes? Those screw heads look to measure 2/16" or 1/8" from AJZ0's pict though. Are they threaded into the wood or into metal ? If its metal, then its probably a M2 thread. If its into wood, its probably an imperial thread self tapping screw.

they screw into wood

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #65 of 198
If I convert these to metric, which it should be as the chinese follow the system. Diameter : 92.075mm => 92mm ; Screw hole square: 65.0875mm => 65mm Thickness: 0.793mm => 0.75mm ~0.8mm

The screw heads do measure 1/8" and they screw into wood. I just took one out and snapped a pic:

SharedScreenshot.jpg

Attachments

• SharedScreenshot.jpg
    SharedScreenshot.jpg
    766.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 12, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #67 of 198
Ok, did a quick one. Dimensions are based on what you guys gave here. The centre has been offset so as to minimise obstruction of the planar drivers airflow.

On 1mm stainless steel 304, it will weigh 24g a piece. But probably needs some further refinement to look its best imo.

Awesome! Are you going to offer any for sale?

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #68 of 198
Ok, did a quick one. Dimensions are based on what you guys gave here. The centre has been offset so as to minimise obstruction of the planar drivers airflow.

On 1mm stainless steel 304, it will weigh 24g a piece. But probably needs some further refinement to look its best imo.

Those look great! If you decide to sell some let us know! I have no grills on mine at the moment. I don't really understand how the grills change the sound so much on these. Would different grills have a similar effect though? I have no idea. Is it the fabric on the inside of the factory grills that is the problem?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #69 of 198
Those look great! If you decide to sell some let us know! I have no grills on mine at the moment. I don't really understand how the grills change the sound so much on these. Would different grills have a similar effect though? I have no idea. Is it the fabric on the inside of the factory grills that is the problem?
The fabic doesn't allow the driver to breath. I removed it and left the grill on. If you go to hifiguides.com you can get which mods work. My set has ZMF pads universe suede, no foam under the ear pad, moved said foam to replace the circle foam behind the grills. Someone also replaced the headband with m1060 headband.

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #70 of 198
When I auditioned the m1060 they didn't sound high end. The Phantoms have a liquid sound to them as of doing mods to them. The terrible sounds interesting nice low end. I did notice veil in the vocals when going from the Avia's to the Phantom. My brain adjusted to the Avias resolution that the phantom fell short. When I don't listen to better resolving headphones in my collection the phantoms are good to go.

Thanks for that info...I'm flip-flopping all over the place deciding between 1060C/Phantom and LCD2C again at the moment...I never really appreciated Phantom initially, but now I do....tonality/balance&refinement/liquid presentation....they maybe are a bit like a refined but 'less meaty" LCD2 (pre-fazor) and certain aspect of LCD3 (pre-fazor).

Are there any aspects the Phantom do as well as :astonished:ToTL Empyrean ?

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #71 of 198
Thanks for that info...I'm flip-flopping all over the place deciding between 1060C/Phantom and LCD2C again at the moment...I never really appreciated Phantom initially, but now I do....tonality/balance&refinement/liquid presentation....they maybe are a bit like a refined but 'less meaty" LCD2 (pre-fazor) and certain aspect of LCD3 (pre-fazor).

Are there any aspects the Phantom do as well as :astonished:ToTL Empyrean ?

Phantom is a fun headphone. I thought it was complete garbage before the mods. You really can't compare the Empyrean to the Phantom because the better SQ. The Phantom does what more expensive headphones do but for a lot less(not Empyrean expensive). I'll say the LCD2c is dark and the Phantom has dark tone but great clarity(if you mod it). The Elex sounds metallic both have resolution. If I was given a choice only to have 1 I'll choose the Phantom. Another example is Avia which is too bright once you live in the Phantoms grasp.

I find it funny that the company put a headphone that got low scores out of the box until people decide to figure out what was wrong with it. To me it feels like they got the German planar and just through it together with out actually listening to it before releasing it to the public. Back to the LCD2c, having it was great but always having that dark sound sometimes sucks. I like some liveliness to the sound. Back to Avia, it went alittle far. The M1060 had big sound which it should with 106mm driver, but no SQ it sounded like factory speaker system vs an aftermarket sound system in a car.

I'd wait for the M1070 and see if they fixed the M1060 if your on the fence. I'll be looking at it.
In my collection I have my end game headphones so I want to collect lesser priced headphones from china or made in china. Chifi bug bit me. So far got four chifi unit see them in my signature.

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #72 of 198
Phantom is a fun headphone. I thought it was complete garbage before the mods. You really can't compare the Empyrean to the Phantom because the better SQ. The Phantom does what more expensive headphones do but for a lot less(not Empyrean expensive). I'll say the LCD2c is dark and the Phantom has dark tone but great clarity(if you mod it). The Elex sounds metallic both have resolution. If I was given a choice only to have 1 I'll choose the Phantom. Another example is Avia which is too bright once you live in the Phantoms grasp.

I find it funny that the company put a headphone that got low scores out of the box until people decide to figure out what was wrong with it. To me it feels like they got the German planar and just through it together with out actually listening to it before releasing it to the public. Back to the LCD2c, having it was great but always having that dark sound sometimes sucks. I like some liveliness to the sound. Back to Avia, it went alittle far. The M1060 had big sound which it should with 106mm driver, but no SQ it sounded like factory speaker system vs an aftermarket sound system in a car.

I'd wait for the M1070 and see if they fixed the M1060 if your on the fence. I'll be looking at it.
In my collection I have my end game headphones so I want to collect lesser priced headphones from china or made in china. Chifi bug bit me. So far got four chifi unit see them in my signature.
What mods do you recommend for the Phantoms?

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #74 of 198
My mods are Audeze vegan pads and the foam removed from the ear pad side of the driver. So far I'm loving them.
Don't have any Audeze Vegan pads available to me, but I will try removing the ear pad side foam... Thanks!

I think I have read elsewhere about removing grill side foam, but I removed my grills and found no foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back