Thieaudio Monarch MKIII impressions, reviews, and pictures thread
Jan 14, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #482 of 690
As always, I'd ask what about the Monarch you're trying to improve. What's making you feel like you need an upgrade?

I'm finding myself agreeing with the opinion that above 1000$, you're paying for preferences, not raw "performance."

It’s a bit of a broad question.

Are you looking for something that is similar in tuning and sound to MMk3? Looking for something different? What is it about the mmk3 that you enjoy and what don’t you like or would you like to be different?

Depending on your answers, there could be many different suggestions and recommendations.

Hey guys, thanks for the reply! : )

As for mmk3, I like everything about it, mostly like its quality bass, with a very good bass quantity too imo.
I also like the vocal presentation, mostly for female but also male works good.

Highs are great, mids are great, low end is great.

I just thought to myself, what if there is an iem that can take all that good, and elevate it, depends on track, bass may be bloated for example, but still nothing that bothers me.

I am not neccessarily looking to upgrade cuz something is missing, but rather just for the chance of even better experience.

Say better and clear bass, better stage, better separation and layering, better vocal presentation, overall cleaner sound.

If there isn't really a candidate for that, which I have been referred to the annihilator 2023 by few people, then I wouldn't make a purchase.

One thing to note, I noticed, I think, that the mmk3 doesn't scale much, if any at all, I tried it on m15 vs wa7, barely heard a diff, so I wonder how it will perform on the n8ii, maybe won't be any different from a lower end dac/amp.

Which leads me to the point that people said that annihiltor 2023 for example, is very source depending and would scale a lot and lead for better results.

Thanks a lot! : )

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #483 of 690
Jan 14, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #484 of 690
Hey guys, thanks for the reply! : )

As for mmk3, I like everything about it, mostly like its quality bass, with a very good bass quantity too imo.
I also like the vocal presentation, mostly for female but also male works good.

Highs are great, mids are great, low end is great.

I just thought to myself, what if there is an iem that can take all that good, and elevate it, depends on track, bass may be bloated for example, but still nothing that bothers me.

I am not neccessarily looking to upgrade cuz something is missing, but rather just for the chance of even better experience.

Say better and clear bass, better stage, better separation and layering, better vocal presentation, overall cleaner sound.

If there isn't really a candidate for that, which I have been referred to the annihilator 2023 by few people, then I wouldn't make a purchase.

One thing to note, I noticed, I think, that the mmk3 doesn't scale much, if any at all, I tried it on m15 vs wa7, barely heard a diff, so I wonder how it will perform on the n8ii, maybe won't be any different from a lower end dac/amp.

Which leads me to the point that people said that annihiltor 2023 for example, is very source depending and would scale a lot and lead for better results.

Thanks a lot! : )
I would think that most sources that meet the power requirements would be audibly transparent. With the idea that most, if not all, DACs, amps and audio chain equipment would present a flat frequency response and would be designed to be transparent. Maybe variations in timing devices create differences outside of the transparency. I almost forgot tubes would be an introduction of variation or distortion into the audio chain.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #485 of 690
True. They don't scale that much. On the M15 I have more springy bass and a smaller soundstage than on the CMA600i. However, on stationary equipment there is a noticeably wider sound stage, just as deep, more bass control and greater emphasis on sound accentuation and clarity. The headphones are more balanced. The differences in the structure are small.

Edit.
Can I add a longer description of the MK3's sound here, or would it be better to post it in the review section?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #487 of 690
Hi there. I'm trying to decide between the iBasso DC06pro and iBasso Elite DACs for my Monarch MK3. Which one would you choose?
AndyAudioVault on Youtube has videos reviewing and comparing each and every single dongle. If I remember correctly, the Elite sounds closer to a dc04pro upgrade (musical) and the dc06 sounds more technical. For me, the Elite is more interesting, but I suggest checking Andy's video on it

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #489 of 690
If you don’t like recessed vocals, I’d steer clear of the U12t. The Z1R doesn’t have the best vocal presentation either.

For an overall upgrade from the B2: Dusk with a similar vocal forwardness, I’d look into the Monarch 2 and 3, and then the Diva.

The B2: Dusk, if I remember correctly, has a neutral-warm tonality. The Monarch 2 will be the most similar in tonality to the Dusk, whereas the Monarch 3 and Diva have a pigmented tonality.

The elevated bass and extra treble energy of the Monarch 3 may potentially affect your perception of the forwardness of the vocals, though of the three I think it’s the most technical.

The Monarch 2 is the best-tuned IMO and is up there technically with the Monarch 3 with the exception of its overly soft bass.

The Diva has least treble extension of the three but it has a very safe tuning and a bass switch you can use to change bass levels. It’s also the most expensive by far.

They’re all good upgrades to the B2: Dusk. I hope you can find the best fit for you.
I know I'm late to the party here, but I just received my Monarch 3 after a year or so of using the B2: Dusk exclusively. I think the comments from @Smirk 24 are spot on. I haven't heard the Monarch 2, but I think it's fair to say that the Monarch 3 feels like a direct upgrade to the B2D's. Very similar tonality overall (still leans ever-so-slightly warm), but just more refined on both the upper and lower ends. Bass is more textured, and I'm feeling a little more sub-bass coming through vs. the B2D, while I'm tempted to say I'm hearing a bit more mid-bass from the B2D. Treble detail and resolution is boosted without being sibilant to my middle-aged ears. I never really appreciated good treble until I acquired a pair of Diana V2's, and the Monarch 3 has a very similar treble presentation that I can only describe as "coherent."

As I switch back and forth, I'm actually really surprised at how good the B2D sounds considering the price point; it definitely punches way above its weight class here (especially if you like the U-shaped signature), just a meaty, punchy warm blanket of a listen, but the Monarch 3 is definitely a more "grown up" presentation overall.

For anyone wondering about fit of the Blessing 2's, I actually found them to be totally manageable by using the medium Spinfit CP155 tips (the stock tips definitely left me sore after awhile). I've only used the Monarch 3 for a couple hours, but so far the medium silicon tips feel comparable; a little snug, but I have no complaints about the size of the shell (it's surprisingly light, despite being such a chonker!).

The disco shells were actually a pleasant surprise; tons of iridescence depending on the light. I was worried they were too busy initially, but it's definitely grown on me.

Edit: Isolation is apparently very good (as good, if not better, than monitors with ANC). My daughter was standing behind me in my office for 2 minutes trying to get my attention, and I was blissfully unaware (either that or I'm just listening way too loud!). :floatsmile:

IMG_5407.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #490 of 690
I feel like I'm alone in REALLY liking the look and feel of the included cable. I think the gold-ish color looks nice with the default black plates and it feels nice.
I also like the look and feel of the cable, no issues with that ....
However, the termination (using mostly 4.4 sometimes 3.5) comes off too easily, especially if I am on the move with this connected to the BTR7. ... the termination remains in the btr, and cable comes loose. This is soooo anying! But this happens to me with most of the cables with interchangeable terminations. For this reason I got the Dunu Hulk Pro mini , they have the system that locks the termination to the cable, however this being larger, L shaped and rigid , I feel that something may break if it's in my pocket:))))
Other cables I have and sort of like: the OG Oracle cable (white/silver) with fixed 4.4 , EA Ares S fixed 4.4 no ConnX.
About tips: to me there is a very noticeable difference in bass with foams Vs silicone.....the brand , shape, etc , does not matter much. Included foams are good , but they are too thin (density of material) and don't protect my ears form the "ring" at the end of the nozzle....so they hurt my ears. Alternatively I have used and enjoyed Symbio F and Render (Zeos) tips.

Jan 19, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #491 of 690
I know I'm late to the party here, but I just received my Monarch 3 after a year or so of using the B2: Dusk exclusively. I think the comments from @Smirk 24 are spot on. I haven't heard the Monarch 2, but I think it's fair to say that the Monarch 3 feels like a direct upgrade to the B2D's. Very similar tonality overall (still leans ever-so-slightly warm), but just more refined on both the upper and lower ends. Bass is more textured, and I'm feeling a little more sub-bass coming through vs. the B2D, while I'm tempted to say I'm hearing a bit more mid-bass from the B2D. Treble detail and resolution is boosted without being sibilant to my middle-aged ears. I never really appreciated good treble until I acquired a pair of Diana V2's, and the Monarch 3 has a very similar treble presentation that I can only describe as "coherent."

As I switch back and forth, I'm actually really surprised at how good the B2D sounds considering the price point; it definitely punches way above its weight class here (especially if you like the U-shaped signature), just a meaty, punchy warm blanket of a listen, but the Monarch 3 is definitely a more "grown up" presentation overall.

For anyone wondering about fit of the Blessing 2's, I actually found them to be totally manageable by using the medium Spinfit CP155 tips (the stock tips definitely left me sore after awhile). I've only used the Monarch 3 for a couple hours, but so far the medium silicon tips feel comparable; a little snug, but I have no complaints about the size of the shell (it's surprisingly light, despite being such a chonker!).

The disco shells were actually a pleasant surprise; tons of iridescence depending on the light. I was worried they were too busy initially, but it's definitely grown on me.

Edit: Isolation is apparently very good (as good, if not better, than monitors with ANC). My daughter was standing behind me in my office for 2 minutes trying to get my attention, and I was blissfully unaware (either that or I'm just listening way too loud!). :floatsmile:

IMG_5407.jpeg

I believe M MKIII....as other Thie Audio are so light because of the very thin plastic they use for the shells. It's medical grade....but I fell it's very thin and fragile especially on the side opposite to the 2-pin.
I had an incident with the OG Oracles , one of the faceplates just fell off, I did nothing wrong, I believe it was poorly glued from the start. This gave me the opportunity to see the messy insides and the thinness of the shell:))
In comparison M MKIII fell more solid, so I hope they fixed the glueing issue....and a bit heavier (more drivers) , but I suspect they use the same kind of plastic for the shells.

Jan 19, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #492 of 690
I believe M MKIII....as other Thie Audio are so light because of the very thin plastic they use for the shells. It's medical grade....but I fell it's very thin and fragile especially on the side opposite to the 2-pin.
I had an incident with the OG Oracles , one of the faceplates just fell off, I did nothing wrong, I believe it was poorly glued from the start. This gave me the opportunity to see the messy insides and the thinness of the shell:))
In comparison M MKIII fell more solid, so I hope they fixed the glueing issue....and a bit heavier (more drivers) , but I suspect they use the same kind of plastic for the shells.
My oracle OG faceplate popped off after I've dropped it. Looking inside the build quality feels lackluster overall feels rather cheap. Don't know how much it improved for the current models. But something like a dunu sa6 is on a whole different level in terms of build.

Jan 19, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #493 of 690
My oracle OG faceplate popped off after I've dropped it. Looking inside the build quality feels lackluster overall feels rather cheap. Don't know how much it improved for the current models. But something like a dunu sa6 is on a whole different level in terms of build.
For me I could feel the edges because it was not glued well....after about 6 months.....then I dropped it but only form 40-50 cm on a wooden floor.....if the build was ok, this small fall shouldn't have affected it.
I tried to fix it myself....no luck.
I will try to find a shop or someone who knows how to glue plastic better. I am reluctant to send this back to China, spend 160E ...the waiting and the nervousness of things happening during the shopping.

Jan 19, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #494 of 690
A longer description of my adventure with MK3. I hope that much of the meaning hasn't been lost due to google translation.

Negation.
Questyle CMA 600i + FIIO XLR-4 Male to 4.4mm Female balance adapter.

Stuffy. I hear the subwoofer, that's the first impression. It disappeared after a short while. But then it gets rough. Very hot upstairs. Aggressive, but detailed, lots of them. Exposed. I also hear more in the bass. Textures, sustain, vibrations, large images. Depth of the stage, not very wide. You can clearly hear where each instrument is on the stage. The whole thing plays nicely behind your head. Stretched, clean highs and bottoms. The bass hits hard and is definitely dynamic, it purrs. I wasn't ready for such an offensive. I put it down and went to eat dinner.

Anger.
Questyle M15 4.4mm high and low gain input, with Samsung A52S.

Big tonal improvement. No feeling of shortness of breath right after the mid bass notes. Not so pushy and aggressive at the top. Great dynamics, only a little gentler. Same details, but they didn't attack anymore. Less hot high registers while maintaining their character thanks to their super separation and extension. Unfortunately, Theiaduio seem to be unmelodic because of this. They are a technical musician. Everything seems to work together, but there is little glue. Why did I blindly buy them after hearing reviews on YouTube and reviews on the Internet?

Bargaining (negotiation).
Questyle CMA 600i + 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter.

WOW. Smooth and dynamic, clean, more glue, but without negative effects. No more heat at the top, just hotter and calmer. The melody appeared. Some songs just flow and the landscape is very beautiful. Depth, position and stage, the background can be heard more clearly. No playing just in your head. A truly perfect holography. Sound with emphasis throughout the entire band, without being too bulky. Great control. Scale, rhythm and tempo that can be learned. The bass vibrates and hits, great. I had read a lot about him and expected more of him, but he plays with total balance. You can feel it, it vibrates in your head and it goes down. Moreover, these docks do not provide bass where there is none, and where there is bass with better impact and texture, no more. It's simply better, which makes it seem like there's more of it.

Two examples that sounded amazing. Hans Zimmer - Interstellar - track 14 - Tick-Tock finally sounded powerful. Nothing spilled out of the notes at the climax. The first headphones sounded like this. They are made to listen to such performances. For example, “In Rainbows |” also played great Radiohead | From The Basement", I recommend watching it on YouTube, showing all the flavors and nuances.

Depression.
Questyle CMA 600i + FIIO XLR-4 Male to 4.4mm Female balance adapter.

We come full circle. After all these adventures, I returned to a connection that practically devastated me. It turned out that the Monarch MKIIIs sound just as good as in the paragraph about the Questyle CMA 600i 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter. Now be smart here and write nonsense about AUDIO. I got used to it, I understood it, the transducers were warming up, the mood was different. Why such a change. I connected the D8000 to check the differences. Quite a risky attempt to compare completely different technologies. It turned out that the iems sound a bit brighter, with more energy in the treble and accent. They played with a slightly more distinct texture in the bass. The Planars sounded wider, with an analog feel (in this comparison). There is more bass, but I'm afraid to point out which one is better. The midrange is as smooth as the table in the MKIII, more pleasant in the planars. Fainal Audio is love at first sight, Theiaduio is like understanding after a while who is the one. Two different paths to the same destination. Basically, we all write the nonsense we hear.

Acceptance.
Questyle M15 4.4mm high and low gain input via USB from PC.

And now they finally played as described. Lots of sub-bass, it vibrates beautifully, giving it character. Balanced and clean high. Resolving and precise. There is a lot of space between the instruments, but thanks to the raised lower range there is no void there. Rhythm, a dose of musicality and everything plays coherently. However, the scene is narrower than on a stationary device. There is no mention of heat or hot highs in this combination. Great game, very addictive and energetic. What insight this has into music.

Present.

It's over now. A short period of delight. The headphones sound simply, simply fantastic. I guess it's an advantage because I focus on music. I can still hear glimpses of their genius when I play an album I haven't heard for a long time or when listening to brilliantly produced recordings. In my opinion, the Monarch MKIII will not become a cult piece of equipment. They lack a pinch of magic, a bit of laziness, pleasure and warmth, something more romantic to what they offer. This was probably the assumption and tuning, and I'm looking for something that wasn't supposed to be there? The manufacturer's extensive offer doesn't help either. We have MkII and MKIII, Hype 2 and Hype 4 - practically identical in measurements to MKIII, and the price is much lower, Prestige LTD and not all models yet. With such a large family, you have to cut back to justify the existence of higher/more expensive models, and at the price of the MKIII, these cuts are audible. There is a clean sound, highly energetic, engaging, with a very good stage and above-average positioning. Great technical stretched bands on top and bottom. An even and perfect medium typical of Theiaduio, as a complement to the playing leading to colored fun. For me, they sound as they should, I don't feel any coloration, and they are not natural or neutral headphones. It doesn't bother me anymore, initially it was perceived as a hot treble, but there could be more bass? The Monarch MKIII is such a signature of engineers and technology. At a price of $1000, one wants more than just very good, one wants something special. Accessories, only what is necessary, and the case... I bought a second one. Regarding comfort, I changed the tips from 14mm to 13.3mm, both stock pairs. Comfort is better. The tightness is the same, they went a little further into the canal. I didn't listen to the included foams. No pressure on the auricle. However, you can feel the wide sleeve after some time. It doesn't cause me any discomfort. The docks are thick and stick out past the ear.

To end on a positive note, Monarch MKII are the headphones I was looking for when I was looking for sounds. They make me curious about music and artists. I didn't lock myself in the comfort zone of sitting for hours listening to music, albums and artists that I tried and liked. D8000 compared to docks, but they provide a bit of advice when selecting albums. I kept checking what these docks can do, and they can do a lot. I'm getting to know and get used to their presentation. I didn't even know how many things I couldn't hear and what I thought I heard.

Jan 20, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #495 of 690
I hear the subwoofer, that's the first impression. It disappeared after a short while. But then it gets rough. Very hot upstairs. Aggressive, but detailed, lots of them.
I'm an unabashed bass-head, and I think I'm starting to understand what some have said about the bass being overpowered at times. It's not that the bass frequencies are dominating or bleeding into the mids, it's more the intensity of the air pressure on some mid-bass prominent tracks (while on others there's a really satisfying sub-bass rumble, these drivers really go deep); it's a real, "whoah there is a kick drum inside my ear" kind of effect (maybe a more relaxed seal with smaller silicon tips would help).

There are definitely some aspects of the B2D that I was looking to upgrade, but for my tastes I'm realizing there's also absolutely nothing offensive about it, so I can easily see reaching for each of these at different times of day. Mk3 for when I'm fully awake and want dynamic and engaging fun, B2D for when I just rolled out of bed and need a relaxing listen while I am waiting for my coffee to kick in! :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back