Thieaudio Monarch MKIII impressions, reviews, and pictures thread
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #451 of 726
is it possible to play lossless? afaik its possible from ios / macos devices
Yes. Apple Lossless is possible with Android DAPs and even Android resampling is bypassed by modern fiio, hiby, ibasso DAPs which have system wide SRC bypass.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #452 of 726
1000003505.jpg

Got mine as well! I'm incredibly happy with them. The fit is perfect and I ended up playing games with friends most of Saturday and had no issues with 4+ hours of wear.

I'm just obsessed with how aurally black the background is when you listen to these things. Everything is just perfectly placed and clear. It's really fantastic. The bass hits hard but has never felt like it's obscuring anything else in the frequency range.

Really the Monarchs did exactly what I wanted, which was take my Kiwi Ears Quintets, fix any issues I had with the sound of those(not much slam, and slightly backseat midrange) and corrects them while making the things I like about the Quintet(cold clear sound with fabulous sparkly upper end) even better.

I won't be spending a Kilobuck on headphones for a VERY long time after this purchase, but I'm so glad I now have a halo product to use as reference for other sets I try.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #453 of 726
Hey beatiful set you got there.
Could you share experience from ur pairing with r6 pro ii?
i am using my mmk3 with questyle m15 rn, plugged either to iphone or ipad.

dap bothers me cuz i wont be able to use apple music i assume? plus im not a fan of android...

i consider upgrading the m15 to this r6 pro ii / the new r8 ii / any other worthy dedicated portable dac&amp.

(the questyle m15 sounds very good with mmk3 if anyone wonders)

thanks for the help! :)
As others have said, yeah you can use Apple Music on modern android daps, they also play lossless

I’m an iPhone user too, I always found it annoying having a dongle tethered to my phone. Not only does it drain the battery but it makes using my phone more difficult and awkward.

I’ll be surprised if any dongle sounds as good as a decent dap too. Prior to my first dap - R6Gen3, I had a L&P W4EX, which was pretty expensive for a dongle. The R6Gen3 was an improvement in sound.

I could never go back to dongles now, but each to their own. I have the R6P2 for
home use, and M300 for portable/outside use.

I imagine the R8ii will be pretty special.

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #454 of 726
As others have said, yeah you can use Apple Music on modern android daps, they also play lossless

I’m an iPhone user too, I always found it annoying having a dongle tethered to my phone. Not only does it drain the battery but it makes using my phone more difficult and awkward.

I’ll be surprised if any dongle sounds as good as a decent dap too. Prior to my first dap - R6Gen3, I had a L&P W4EX, which was pretty expensive for a dongle. The R6Gen3 was an improvement in sound.

I could never go back to dongles now, but each to their own. I have the R6P2 for
home use, and M300 for portable/outside use.

I imagine the R8ii will be pretty special.
Thanks for the answer.
idk if u tried the questyle m15 but its shockingly good.
I can imagine that a hiby r6 pro ii would be an upgrade, surely the r8 ii, and after the previous answers, along with urs, when u are also an apple user + i won't lose apple music, i am surely set on a dap now.

thanks a bunch!

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #455 of 726
Thanks for the answer.
idk if u tried the questyle m15 but its shockingly good.
I can imagine that a hiby r6 pro ii would be an upgrade, surely the r8 ii, and after the previous answers, along with urs, when u are also an apple user + i won't lose apple music, i am surely set on a dap now.

thanks a bunch!
I have head a lot of good things about the m15. I don’t doubt it’s an excellent dongle.

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #456 of 726
Surprised to hear they call out specifically weak bass on the Mk3 which...does not jive with what I've heard...
From what I read, it's the slightly sloppy impulse response characteristic to DDs that they are calling out here, which I suspect Thieaudio cheaped out a bit to hit the budget range. Compared to all BA sets like the Trailli or VX/V14, the difference in impulse response really stands out. Seems to me like they also just compared the Mmk3 to a lot of TOTL IEMs like Anni23 and SubStorm, so yeah lol.

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #457 of 726
Bought a pair of disco monarch 3 from audio 46 and they were delivered today. They look beautiful and I put some Azla tips on them and went for a long dog walk.

First 10 minutes listening to mostly beat driven indie pop and electronic music, and they were great. I was impressed right away. I do listen at higher than average volumes and on the left side I heard a little crackle.
So I started trying out different genres. I put on some more indie rock and then also classical. At a certain higher frequency or two there was sort of a crackling type of noise.

I found a couple tracks where I could easily repeat it and messaged audio 46.

The first suggestion was to change the cable. I had an effect audio Eros II, So I put it on.

I went right to those two tracks again and lo and behold, The crackling sound was virtually gone.

But I still heard it once on each track by putting the volume up one notch above my higher listening volume. So far less but still there.

So these are going back. There are no more monarch threes to exchange for but I'm a little turned off. Going to try to trade my Z1R instead of selling them to finance the monarch three.

The sound was quite impressive though besides that frequency or two that made the left side crackle.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #459 of 726
Bought a pair of disco monarch 3 from audio 46 and they were delivered today. They look beautiful and I put some Azla tips on them and went for a long dog walk.

First 10 minutes listening to mostly beat driven indie pop and electronic music, and they were great. I was impressed right away. I do listen at higher than average volumes and on the left side I heard a little crackle.
So I started trying out different genres. I put on some more indie rock and then also classical. At a certain higher frequency or two there was sort of a crackling type of noise.

I found a couple tracks where I could easily repeat it and messaged audio 46.

The first suggestion was to change the cable. I had an effect audio Eros II, So I put it on.

I went right to those two tracks again and lo and behold, The crackling sound was virtually gone.

But I still heard it once on each track by putting the volume up one notch above my higher listening volume. So far less but still there.

So these are going back. There are no more monarch threes to exchange for but I'm a little turned off. Going to try to trade my Z1R instead of selling them to finance the monarch three.

The sound was quite impressive though besides that frequency or two that made the left side crackle.
Sucks to hear you got a bad pair. Would've been interested to read a comparison between Volur and MMK3.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #460 of 726
Recently go the Astell&Kern - A&norma SR35. They sound very nice on the Monarch MK3s. resolution and detailing in particular are excellent.

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #463 of 726
What issue are you trying to solve? The cable that comes with the MK3 is pretty fantastic. You certainly won't find better sound with a change.
Thanks for replying! I don't have any issue with the original cable. I had the opportunity to test the Est cable from Thieaudio and I liked the result, it brought a little more air in my opinion.

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #464 of 726
Thanks for replying! I don't have any issue with the original cable. I had the opportunity to test the Est cable from Thieaudio and I liked the result, it brought a little more air in my opinion.

Fair enough. I see that cable is only 70$ which isn't offensive as these things go, so if you like it, can't hurt to try it! I'd be VERY surprised if I personally could tell a difference with most cables.

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #465 of 726
Fair enough. I see that cable is only 70$ which isn't offensive as these things go, so if you like it, can't hurt to try it! I'd be VERY surprised if I personally could tell a difference with most cables.
It's true, the price isn't offensive at all! If you get a chance to listen, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back