ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Nov 9, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #181 of 1,205
Well, really hope I was helpful. You know with years I tried to match my liking with some reviewers. For example all that DMS says is 100% true for my ears, when Joshua says some iem is bright it is really bright, when Precoq says it is muddy I find it muddy... Now tell me who is the most sensitive to shouty mids - it is Resolve. So watch the reviews of Resolve on Mest v1 and SA6 and Mon2 and get some more insights.
One question from me - I see you did a mod on the Timeless, what is that mod?
Thanks
I will try to watch Resolve review then for additional inputs.

About timeless mod, i just explain here few days back
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/post-17225602

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #182 of 1,205
Focused on experimenting with double flange tips for top presentation. So far Campfire Audio tips from Comet package are best - bass got even more textured and layered. Tomorrow plan to try double flange from Sennheiser IE800 - they have wider boar.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #183 of 1,205
My experiences and views are related to the few posts above: sound signature preferences and in-ear seal, fit, and comfort are all very subjective.

I own the Monarch MKIIs (which I love) and was looking to upgrade. Based on the availability in my city, my budget, research, and reading of various forums I had zeroed in on the 64Audio U12t. Everyone was raving about them, and I had 99% made up my mind that I would like them as an upgrade. When I went for my pre-purchase listening session, I tried the 64 Audio lineup while A/B listening to my Monarch MKII as a reference. I did this to try and understand how much of an upgrade I was getting. To my surprise, I didn't like the 64Audio U12t. To me, it didn't feel like an upgrade over the Monarch MKII, and more so considering that it was 50-60% more expensive. I give full marks to the MKIIs for punching above their weight! I then listened to the 64 Audio Trio and absolutely fell in love with it. I thought that this was an upgrade that indeed justified the extra money I would be paying. I also realized that maybe I personally prefer hybrid IEMs more than pure BA ones.

My point is that while we share our views, opinions, and experiences, one must always try and listen to gear before buying it. In my case, had I gone with the majority opinion (u12t), I would be suffering from major buyer's remorse right now. Thankfully, this didn't happen. We all will have different opinions and views based on our personal preferences, likes, and dislikes and hence may not always understand or be convinced of someone else's choice. This is ok! :)

One more thing- out of the box, I found the MKIIs stock ear tips too large for my tastes. Even the smallest size tips felt too tight and uncomfortable after 20-30 mins. I upgraded to the SpinFit W1 Silicon Eartips and found that the seal and comfort improved a lot. It was like a night and day difference for me and now I am enjoying my MKIIs to the fullest! My 64 Audio Trio of course complements them extremely well!
After reading this, i buy w1 and yeah you're right, i really like the monarch with w1 pair, it sits well in my ears, and now i enjoy my monarch more than before. I have same opinion with you about the u12t. Well i think i more into dd bass than ba bass, that's why rather than buying u12t i choose to buy trio instead :relaxed:

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #184 of 1,205
After reading this, i buy w1 and yeah you're right, i really like the monarch with w1 pair, it sits well in my ears, and now i enjoy my monarch more than before. I have same opinion with you about the u12t. Well i think i more into dd bass than ba bass, that's why rather than buying u12t i choose to buy trio instead :relaxed:
Yep, Sam is right. We share experience and that should be taken like subjective statements that should be verified. The case with the tips is cheap, easy and brings lots of value but $1k investment is already something that needs different approach.
Unfortunately in my country I can test only traditional brands like Sony, Focal, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, ATH, .... none of the Chi-fi brands is available. So usually I have to find mates that have/like what I have/like and talk to them about what they have extra in order to decide. Likely, so far, I am veeeeery happy with the Z1R, Mest v1, Monarch MkII, all other my iems are below $400.
Btw, I am already loosing interest in iems different from planar below $1k - The Timeless, Timeless AE, Stellaris and the Hook-X HBB made me highly satisfied with the FR versatility, FR presentation, technicalities and mainly sound stage and details retrieval.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #185 of 1,205

I agree with you. The SpinFit W1 tip is a small investment with giant returns when it comes to the Monarch MKII. I too made this investment, and it breathed new life into my MonarchMKIIs. I love them even more now as they've become so much more comfortable, and the sound has improved too in my opinion.

Nov 12, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #186 of 1,205
There is a great video that's come out on YouTube which makes a comparison between the Monarch MKIIs and MEST MKIIs. It's a good watch and listen (preferably with a flat and analytical/critical pair of headphones/earphones).

The Monarch MKII rocks! The MEST MKII too is very VERY nice, now that I’ve heard it in this video. I agree with Dan (the reviewer) that having the Monarch MKII and the MEST MKII will be a great end-game setup for most people. They complement each other very well. Sometimes I need the Monarch’s more intimate and more energetic in-your-face style of music representation and at other times I like an airier and 'comparatively' laid-back presentation the MEST has. They’re both excellent at what they do and shouldn’t be compared as such. All this being said, I bought the 64 Audio Trio after the Monarch MKII and think that the Trio is a great amalgamation or mashup of the MONARCH and MEST. I couldn’t agree more with 64 Audio’s definition of the Trio when they say that it is a perfect balance of analytical reference sound that’s also dynamic, fun, and engaging while being extremely comfortable for long hours of listening (thanks to the compact size and APEX). It presents a sweet spot between reference-level clarity and a smooth sound signature for extended listening. So in my opinion one could buy the Monarch MKII and MEST MKII or simply buy the Trio and save money.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #187 of 1,205
I agree with you. The SpinFit W1 tip is a small investment with giant returns when it comes to the Monarch MKII. I too made this investment, and it breathed new life into my MonarchMKIIs. I love them even more now as they've become so much more comfortable, and the sound has improved too in my opinion.
The stock M silicone tips sound best for me but they are uncomfortable after a while. The bass was a bit light with the w1. Any other suggestion?

Nov 14, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #188 of 1,205
The stock M silicone tips sound best for me but they are uncomfortable after a while. The bass was a bit light with the w1. Any other suggestion?
Sorry, but I don't have any other options that I've tried because I settled on the W1s after trying them and thus, didn't feel the need to explore more. The Azla SednaEarfit tips could be an option worth trying.

I did not find any difference in the bass with the 'S' sized W1s. Just our individual tastes and perceptions at play here :).

Nov 14, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #189 of 1,205
I’ve tried some tips on the monarch mk2.

The W1 ended up being hit and miss for me. It fits well, has a good seal but at times it just doesn’t seal at all. I think it’s my ear canal + w1 rotating weirdly in my ear.

Tried the Sedna earfit crystals, these were the most comfortable. Fit and seal is amazing. But, i did not like what it did to the bass. I think the bore size is too wide and sacrifices bass.

Tried the Symbio W tips today. Fit and seal is amazing, and it provides slightly more isolation than the others. In terms of sound, it does tighten the bass. Highs and mids does not sound altered to me. Closest sound to stock tips.

Nov 14, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #190 of 1,205
I’ve tried some tips on the monarch mk2.

The W1 ended up being hit and miss for me. It fits well, has a good seal but at times it just doesn’t seal at all. I think it’s my ear canal + w1 rotating weirdly in my ear.

Tried the Sedna earfit crystals, these were the most comfortable. Fit and seal is amazing. But, i did not like what it did to the bass. I think the bore size is too wide and sacrifices bass.

Tried the Symbio W tips today. Fit and seal is amazing, and it provides slightly more isolation than the others. In terms of sound, it does tighten the bass. Highs and mids does not sound altered to me. Closest sound to stock tips.
Thank, I’ll give these a try.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #192 of 1,205
I love the W1 so but all this discussion of other tips that just has me curious to dabble haha

Nov 15, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #193 of 1,205
Just got my pair. If this isn't endgame IEM, gosh I'm excited to know what is.

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #194 of 1,205
Just got my pair. If this isn't endgame IEM, gosh I'm excited to know what is.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I got my MMKII. But then I heard the 64 Audio Trio and was super impressed by it. I ended up buying it within a month of purchasing the MMKII. For me, the 64 Audio Trio is my endgame. But in my opinion, the Unique Melody MEST MKII also deserves a mention here. I would gamble that many people would find their endgame by owning one or more of these three IEMs.

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #195 of 1,205
I was thinking the exact same thing when I got my MMKII. But then I heard the 64 Audio Trio and was super impressed by it. I ended up buying it within a month of purchasing the MMKII. For me, the 64 Audio Trio is my endgame. But in my opinion, the Unique Melody MEST MKII also deserves a mention here. I would gamble that many people would find their endgame by owning one or more of these three IEMs.
In order to say that a collection is complete for end game I did these: Z1R for best bass and greatest sound stage; MMkII for best neutrality, vocals and timber, Mest v1 for best fun.
I still search where to listen to the U12t to decide - Precog said its bass is meee vs Z1R's; and the Helios - looks to me that vocals might be too recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back