ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
May 20, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #61 of 1,205
I've problems with universal IEMs or universal tips in particular. They don't fit well my ears somehow. Monarch MKII is only universal IEM I own (there was a nice deal in classifieds so I took the plunge), all my others IEMs are acrylic customs actually. So I ordered those custom silicone tips from Custom Art. I would say silicone tip is slightly harder to snug inside ear canal, acrylic custom is easier. But fit is really good now. Can recommend to anyone with same problem as I have.

May 20, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #62 of 1,205
I've problems with universal IEMs or universal tips in particular. They don't fit well my ears somehow. Monarch MKII is only universal IEM I own (there was a nice deal in classifieds so I took the plunge), all my others IEMs are acrylic customs actually. So I ordered those custom silicone tips from Custom Art. I would say silicone tip is slightly harder to snug inside ear canal, acrylic custom is easier. But fit is really good now. Can recommend to anyone with same problem as I have.
Gonna look into it later today
There are also these ...

https://www.adv-sound.com/products/...aBr5qNyQNL7pMK8NFixdpcyUz_p5MplcaAku2EALw_wcB

Jun 9, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #68 of 1,205
How do the Monarch Mkii compare to the Mest Mkii?
Good question ... 🤔
graph (15).png

Jun 12, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #69 of 1,205
oh how much I love this Monarch MKii after a few months of purchase. I just cannot stop listening to this set whenever I think about music or when I see it on my desktop. I've listened to most of the popular TOTL sets between times, like Elysian Annihilator, Sony IER Z1R, qdc Anole VX, Sony IER M9, Sennheiser IE900, etc. not briefly but a good length of time for each of them and I think Monarch MKii is the best in terms of OVERALL reproduction/performance for every kind of recording or genre I can name on the planet. at least for me.

most of them (except Annihilator) are either not really well-balanced (FR) or not the most "natural" sounding to my ears, especially in terms of acoustic drums and vocal reproduction. they can be either too technical like Anole VX or "boosted" in certain areas like the spicy treble of IER Z1R (even though it sounds "organic") or simply unnatural reproduction of acoustic instruments, especially with live/analog recordings. most of them failed to reproduce the acoustic of the drum and the air (room) surrounding it and if it's a BA treble set, the vocal's timbre will be a bit off; simply not the most natural. I find most popular mainstream modern songs have less to no issues with any of those TOTL sets and each of them is very enjoyable and pleasant to listen to, except they are not actually true all-rounders.

now I can see why Crinacle put it on top of the list, not that I care about it that much but that simply tells that the guy is very true to his "IEF metric". while I understand why some people are scratching their heads with the ranking especially when they A/B Monarch MKii to U12t in terms of the technical performance alone, I actually don't mind if it's not at the top of anyone's list because I think I've found THE IEM that works extremely well for me. I also realize that "resolution" or technicalities are always misunderstood by many (including me) until I compare each of them for the overall presentation. the overall image, the depth.

I always prioritize tonality & naturalness above anything else, as organic and flawless as a single dynamic driver can be. the overall presentation always comes first before any specific technical or frequency focus. and to me, Monarch MKii is the closest to a perfect IEM for any kind of music that exists today. resolution means nothing if it's not natural sounding, at least for me.

MonarchMKii.jpg

Jun 13, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #70 of 1,205
oh how much I love this Monarch MKii after a few months of purchase. I just cannot stop listening to this set whenever I think about music or when I see it on my desktop. I've listened to most of the popular TOTL sets between times, like Elysian Annihilator, Sony IER Z1R, qdc Anole VX, Sony IER M9, Sennheiser IE900, etc. not briefly but a good length of time for each of them and I think Monarch MKii is the best in terms of OVERALL reproduction/performance for every kind of recording or genre I can name on the planet. at least for me.

most of them (except Annihilator) are either not really well-balanced (FR) or not the most "natural" sounding to my ears, especially in terms of acoustic drums and vocal reproduction. they can be either too technical like Anole VX or "boosted" in certain areas like the spicy treble of IER Z1R (even though it sounds "organic") or simply unnatural reproduction of acoustic instruments, especially with live/analog recordings. most of them failed to reproduce the acoustic of the drum and the air (room) surrounding it and if it's a BA treble set, the vocal's timbre will be a bit off; simply not the most natural. I find most popular mainstream modern songs have less to no issues with any of those TOTL sets and each of them is very enjoyable and pleasant to listen to, except they are not actually true all-rounders.

now I can see why Crinacle put it on top of the list, not that I care about it that much but that simply tells that the guy is very true to his "IEF metric". while I understand why some people are scratching their heads with the ranking especially when they A/B Monarch MKii to U12t in terms of the technical performance alone, I actually don't mind if it's not at the top of anyone's list because I think I've found THE IEM that works extremely well for me. I also realize that "resolution" or technicalities are always misunderstood by many (including me) until I compare each of them for the overall presentation. the overall image, the depth.

I always prioritize tonality & naturalness above anything else, as organic and flawless as a single dynamic driver can be. the overall presentation always comes first before any specific technical or frequency focus. and to me, Monarch MKii is the closest to a perfect IEM for any kind of music that exists today. resolution means nothing if it's not natural sounding, at least for me.

MonarchMKii.jpg
You took the words right out of my mind. I'm done trying to convince those who must have all the TOTL IEMs to even try the MKII. You're spot on about the comparisons and MKII's natural timbre, it's what I love about it. I spend alot of time with it so I know it suits my tastes to a T.

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #71 of 1,205
You took the words right out of my mind. I'm done trying to convince those who must have all the TOTL IEMs to even try the MKII. You're spot on about the comparisons and MKII's natural timbre, it's what I love about it. I spend alot of time with it so I know it suits my tastes to a T.
I mean it's not perfect but it's close to "perfection". I also understand that different people have different opinions about perfection but after years with hundreds of IEMs, vintage/modern Hifi setups, playing in multiple bands, engineered recordings, and studios, live music, "1001 albums you must hear before you die", nu-jazz to EDM to blackened atmospheric sludge metal, I think this is the best reference kind of signature IEM with a proper sub-bass boost to back the image with depth and articulate instrument localization as is you're with the musicians, a very well-tuned and engineered set that's able to reproduce any kind of recording available. it's about the balance in all things. I've been telling people and promoting it ever since with some purchases made. at this rate, ThieAudio should pay me some compensation :ksc75smile:

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #72 of 1,205
I mean it's not perfect but it's close to "perfection". I also understand that different people have different opinions about perfection but after years with hundreds of IEMs, vintage/modern Hifi setups, playing in multiple bands, engineered recordings, and studios, live music, "1001 albums you must hear before you die", nu-jazz to EDM to blackened atmospheric sludge metal, I think this is the best reference kind of signature IEM with a proper sub-bass boost to back the image with depth and articulate instrument localization as is you're with the musicians, a very well-tuned and engineered set that's able to reproduce any kind of recording available. it's about the balance in all things. I've been telling people and promoting it ever since with some purchases made. at this rate, ThieAudio should pay me some compensation :ksc75smile:
It's really comforting that you're hearing the same as what I hear. There are a few others but you articulated it exactly as how I hear it.

Jun 13, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #73 of 1,205

MonarchMKii.jpg
I agree with the points of how "natural sounding" this IEM is. And it is important that we find our own THE IEM. Thank you for your feedback!

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #74 of 1,205
How do the Monarch Mkii compare to the Mest Mkii?
owned both. Totally different world. If you like fun engaging get the mest 2 if you like it uncolored get the monarch 2. Both are very good. If you ask me personally i will choose mest 2 because of the sound and also the shell. Monarch mk 2 sometimes hurt my ear if i listen more than 20 minutes and it is annoying. I think imaging and detail is better on the monarch 2. If only mona 2 have smaller shell it will be a total beast in the market. The size hurt my ear.

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #75 of 1,205
owned both. Totally different world. If you like fun engaging get the mest 2 if you like it uncolored get the monarch 2. Both are very good. If you ask me personally i will choose mest 2 because of the sound and also the shell. Monarch mk 2 sometimes hurt my ear if i listen more than 20 minutes and it is annoying. I think imaging and detail is better on the monarch 2. If only mona 2 have smaller shell it will be a total beast in the market. The size hurt my ear.
Thank you for the info. I ended up going with the Mest mk2 and I love them. Much better for my taste and music I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back