ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Mar 29, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 1,205
Just wondering if it's the #1 IEM why don't more people own it ?
Finally it's available at 50 % of U12T
But I see way more 64 Audio U12T owners out there as Monarch Mk II
Must have a reason ... 🤔
u12t is on the top, and even mkii cant beat it. For me, MKII still has some flaws such as bass impact, incoherency, and last but not least, fitting.

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #17 of 1,205
Might be an issue
Just received my UM MEXT and it's a bigger IEM as well but fits fine - for me at least
But I find it weird I don't see more posts or owners praising the Monarch Mk II in any of the audio groups either
As mentioned it's definitely not a budget IEM but vs the U12T way more affordable

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #18 of 1,205
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #19 of 1,205
Must have a reason ... 🤔
I have not heard the U12T, so I can't comment on how they compare. The biggest "complaint" I have heard about the MKII is that it is too clinical or sterile, "no character." I enjoy how it sounds, but it can get boring compared to other IEMs.

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #20 of 1,205
I have not heard the U12T, so I can't comment on how they compare. The biggest "complaint" I have heard about the MKII is that it is too clinical or sterile, "no character." I enjoy how it sounds, but it can get boring compared to other IEMs.
Mmm that's a pitty unless it's the sound signature your really looking for ...

Apr 1, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #21 of 1,205
Must have a reason ... 🤔
The answer is there in your 'question'... Factually and obviously... They are just nowhere nearly incomparable in sound quality - anyone had ears on with both and experiences and the bass quality and quantity and overall clarity to the U12T? Not sure... (though, the MK2 are a serious eye candy and the cable is the best I have come across - funnily, those were the only attachments I had to become free of in the process of letting them go).

Though, for the sake of truth, only time can tell whether what you point to really is because of that - a different simple explanation is that the MK2 was released only a few months ago vs. the few years the U12T is around.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #22 of 1,205
Same. I was not impressed by the Trio (I was VERY overhyped about it) and I sold it. I still have the MKII and I like how transparent it is.
I liked much in the Trio (DD bass, soundstage) but it was too bright for me - I found the U12T not quite as good in those but good enough to just be the best all rounder for me.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #23 of 1,205
Monarch MKII has a big shells, so fit is the issue for most probably. I've also bought mine from classifieds here because seller had fit issues.
Fit is obviously subjective... But it was not an issue for me at all (and my ears are not large); I have also not come across hardly anyone reporting fit issues... The shells are larger than some (but in surface, not height so much), but they are very well designed - very rounded (without the protrusion of the MK1) - there is no uncomfortable pressure point and they are not heavy or sticking out. Bottom line, for me, fit was great.

Apr 1, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #24 of 1,205
Might be an issue
Just received my UM MEXT and it's a bigger IEM as well but fits fine - for me at least
But I find it weird I don't see more posts or owners praising the Monarch Mk II in any of the audio groups either
As mentioned it's definitely not a budget IEM but vs the U12T way more affordable
I believe it has to do more with their sonic performance than fit - these felt smooth, very rounded and very comfortable for me, independently of size), and I haven't seen fit issues being mentioned (unlike the MK1, with its asymmetric 'protrusion' causing uncomfortable pressure point).

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #25 of 1,205
I liked much in the Trio (DD bass, soundstage) but it was too bright for me - I found the U12T not quite as good in those but good enough to just be the best all rounder for me.
wait you considered trio as bright? i didn't find it that way

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #26 of 1,205
wait you considered trio as bright? i didn't find it that way
No, not necessarily objectively bright - I wrote too bright for me - perhaps brighter than the U12T - I had been 'traumatized' by a decade with the HD800 and became negatively oversensitive to that region - when auditioning 64Audio's offerings, I personally preferred the U12T's, among other reasons, for its more relaxed presentation in comparison.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #27 of 1,205
I have been listening to Monarch mkii for a month now, mostly on balanced sources, and it is definitely a good IEM but may not rank #1 in my mind.

This IEM embraces clarity and transparency but flat in mid-bass. The sound is also distant in this IEM, but you do get every detail of the music. Sometimes people don’t enjoy this signature as it may lack warmth and would say this is too clinical. However, each IEM will have its own strength, and that is what I am paying for.

I will keep Monarch Mkii as the sound is definitely a unique one among my collections.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #28 of 1,205
I was able to grab these recently in a trade. Listening off N8II, M17 and DC300MAX so far with a customized 8-braided cable. Switched to Spinfits.

Would disagree that it is bass light, especially with the M17 and DX300MAX. I would say overall I'm impressed. It sounds balanced, great soundstage width, beautiful airy mids with excellent details and resolution. I don't have a lot of IEMs in this price range except for the Tansio Mirai Sparks which has way less bass due to it being only BA and EST, and is also a bit brighter.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #29 of 1,205
Monarch MKII - very cool headphones, the vocals are simply mesmerizing, but the bass is also very good
u12t has more mid bass, which allows you to play badly recorded tracks more tasty, but if the track is well mastered (and especially with well-recorded vocals!), then it sounds better on the monarch than in u12t

IMG_0341.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back