ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Sep 1, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #1,231 of 1,778
Are the new ones worth getting.

My L3 is #649 and it's really bad. One thing that I noticed is that after some hours of burn in the sound improved. Well, it still really bad, but it improved. I really doubt that it gonna get into a "really good" state, but, let's see. I'll leave this doing the burn-in for some days.

I got an FH3 today and it's freaking good on the first try.

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,232 of 1,778
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,234 of 1,778
They said that bass in L3 is better than FH3 is it true?
I like my L3 a bit more than the FH3 overall, but IMO no, the bass on the L3 is not better than the bass on the FH3. The FH3 has amazing bass, that’s fast, textured, and detailed. I like the bass tuning of my L3 a little more (less mid bass), but the quality is not as good as the FH3.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,235 of 1,778
I may have to counsel caution with the Xelastics. After barely any time at all mine have gotten these peculiar "waves" in them. It hasn't had much effect on the sound or seal YET (as it's just at the very rim) but I suspect the problem will worsen over time. I've never run into this before, even with the cheapest tips out there.
PXL_20200901_151922191.jpg

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,236 of 1,778
I may have to counsel caution with the Xelastics. After barely any time at all mine have gotten these peculiar "waves" in them. It hasn't had much effect on the sound or seal YET (as it's just at the very rim) but I suspect the problem will worsen over time. I've never run into this before, even with the cheapest tips out there.PXL_20200901_151922191.jpg
Let us know if they normalize over time. After wearing them for some time, body heat allows it to conform to one’s ear canal. Mine are misshapen when I first take them out, but then revert back to the usual shape over time.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,237 of 1,778
Unless "over time" means several days, I think they're stuck that way. I used foams all yesterday and the Xelastics still look like that.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,238 of 1,778
Unless "over time" means several days, I think they're stuck that way. I used foams all yesterday and the Xelastics still look like that.
Wow, yeah that doesn’t seem right. Thanks for the warning.

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,239 of 1,778
Wow, yeah that doesn’t seem right. Thanks for the warning.

I'll keep updates on them if it gets any worse, but it's definitely a bother because they're bar-none the best silicone tips I've ever used. I'm hoping it's just happening at the rim because they kinda "crinkle" down there from being wedged into the ear canal.

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,240 of 1,778
Did you size down with the Xelastics? I usually wear a M Spiral Dot (12mm) but had to go to a MS Xelastic (11.9mm) to get the same fit. Almost looks like it could be a bit too large for you causing the wrinkling. Just a thought. Thanks for bringing this up.

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,241 of 1,778
I may have to counsel caution with the Xelastics. After barely any time at all mine have gotten these peculiar "waves" in them. It hasn't had much effect on the sound or seal YET (as it's just at the very rim) but I suspect the problem will worsen over time. I've never run into this before, even with the cheapest tips out there.PXL_20200901_151922191.jpg
Maybe send these shots over to Azla to see if they have anything on the subject?

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #1,242 of 1,778
Did you size down with the Xelastics? I usually wear a M Spiral Dot (12mm) but had to go to a MS Xelastic (11.9mm) to get the same fit. Almost looks like it could be a bit too large for you causing the wrinkling. Just a thought. Thanks for bringing this up.

I normally use Ls, I got the ML, these are the Ms. I'd be shocked if I had to go all the way down to an MS but I'm willing to give it a go. I hadn't considered that it might be a sizing issue, but even then these would be the first tips I've seen to do such a thing.

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #1,244 of 1,778
Hi all L3's Owner,
My #038 ClockWork L3s is sounding soooo G O O D...

But with the flaw of the straight nozzle tips design, and with eartips sensitive SQ, i've came to a conclusion and solutions...

I've tip rolled Spinfit CP100 (for my PP8s), CP240, CP360, Acoustune AET07 and AET08, JVC Spiral Dots, Dots Plus and Ortofon.
And upon closer inspections, i've found out due to its tips sensitivity, L3s like the straight bore type tips and sounds
best with the Ortofon.

My interesting finding is, with the narrow type of bore, the sound will be more high rolled-off while the low a bit muddy, hazing the detail of the low section

While, the wider the bore is, like on the Spiral Dots, affecting the depth thus also the seperations. The vocals are also congested and felt flat

So, the best tips IMHO is the Ortofons. When looking directly to the nozzle with sound tube facing us, they don't block the nozzles at all. Just straight...

And lastly, with the design of Ortofon Eartip's straight bores without notches, they tend to stuck in ears when the IEM's pulled. So the simple solution is, i apply a 1.5mm of cable shrink wrap on the tips of nozzles to hold the Tips and it works!

Now, i think that the L3s is my ENDGAME now. With the 01 switch, i got all the frequencies right, at least in my own standard...

Bonus: with the same Mighty Shrink Wraps, i solved the QDC-styled lose pins too. Just have to choose the same diameter tube, that is isn't too thick...

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #1,245 of 1,778
Hi all L3's Owner,
My #038 ClockWork L3s is sounding soooo G O O D...

But with the flaw of the straight nozzle tips design, and with eartips sensitive SQ, i've came to a conclusion and solutions...

I've tip rolled Spinfit CP100 (for my PP8s), CP240, CP360, Acoustune AET07 and AET08, JVC Spiral Dots, Dots Plus and Ortofon.
And upon closer inspections, i've found out due to its tips sensitivity, L3s like the straight bore type tips and sounds
best with the Ortofon.

My interesting finding is, with the narrow type of bore, the sound will be more high rolled-off while the low a bit muddy, hazing the detail of the low section

While, the wider the bore is, like on the Spiral Dots, affecting the depth thus also the seperations. The vocals are also congested and felt flat

So, the best tips IMHO is the Ortofons. When looking directly to the nozzle with sound tube facing us, they don't block the nozzles at all. Just straight...

And lastly, with the design of Ortofon Eartip's straight bores without notches, they tend to stuck in ears when the IEM's pulled. So the simple solution is, i apply a 1.5mm of cable shrink wrap on the tips of nozzles to hold the Tips and it works!

Now, i think that the L3s is my ENDGAME now. With the 01 switch, i got all the frequencies right, at least in my own standard...

Bonus: with the same Mighty Shrink Wraps, i solved the QDC-styled lose pins too. Just have to choose the same diameter tube, that is isn't too thick...
I completely agree. The L3s are very tip sensitive, and they play best with wide bore tips. Narrow bore tips like Final E tips do make the bass sound muddy and the overall sound congested. I prefer smaller wide bore tips with deep insertion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back