ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jun 24, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #677 of 1,778
I've turned on both switches now too. Wow, the mids are so sweet. I had an EQ profile set up that basically did just this on the default switch settings (both off), so just flattened out the EQ a bit (which had pumped up the mids some), and it's just about perfect to me. Vocals (on a good recording) are so lush. While the bass still hits hard, and great non-fatiguing sparkle in the highs--Must say I am really loving the Legacy 3! It does have a great tuning for the price, and one of the most comfortable IEMs I have for a universal. And the sound leakage seems very minimal, so you can turn it up and not bother anyone near you. That ticks all my boxes for a great IEM. 😊😁👍

Jun 24, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #678 of 1,778
I prefer both switches on.
Having 1 switch up (either case) really doesnt do anything that both on or both off already does, at least from what I hear as well as what I've measured on two units.
It seems like with the ThieAudio IEMs, there are usually only 2 switch settings worth using. So, with the L3 it’s either both up or both down. With the V14, it seems preferable to keep the second switch up, and just alternate the 1st switch based on bass preferences (0,1 or 1,1).

I need to try both switches up for a while on the L3 I guess.

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #679 of 1,778
It seems like with the ThieAudio IEMs, there are usually only 2 switch settings worth using. So, with the L3 it’s either both up or both down. With the V14, it seems preferable to keep the second switch up, and just alternate the 1st switch based on bass preferences (0,1 or 1,1).

I need to try both switches up for a while on the L3 I guess.
Yeah, it's sweet. I honestly didn't think I would like it better than default (both down), figured it would be too 'shouty' or I'd lose that sweet bass, but its just a bit more mid-forward (and not at all too sharp, but smooth) and very clean-sounding with a good vocal track.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #680 of 1,778
I cant believe how good they are considering the price tag. They are easily in the 500 dollar range in my opinion. I use them with both switches up since it seems to improve clarity and microdetails. Soundstage is crazy good as well, the width in particular. Really dont trust my ears right now when comparing them to my other (way more expensive) stuff.

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #681 of 1,778
I‘ve been listening to the L3 with both switches up again, for longer this time. To me, it seems like it provides a broad midrange boost. There is a boost in male and female vocals, seemingly equal, with some added warmth from added upper bass/lower mids. I find the sub bass and the treble to be pretty much the same, just not as prominent in relative terms, with the midrange boost. Vocals are clearer and more prominent, more in-your-face. You can hear midrange details a little better, but I don’t really find any actual increase in detail, just shifts due to tuning changes. I can definitely see why this is a preferred setting for many people. It seems to provide more clarity. I am, however, very sensitive to upper midrange, and I find that certain female vocals sound a bit more shouty, though not really that offensive. It‘s still a lot milder than other IEMs with a lot of pinna gain. Ultimately, what I don’t really like about the switch up position is that voices sound kind of resonant and boxy, which I’m also really sensitive to.

So, purely my opinion, but I prefer my set with both switches down, in default (0,0) position. What I find a little disconcerting is the fact that antdroid found a significant mismatch on his initial blue set, and that the replacement tuning was somewhere in between. I hope there is not a lot of sample variation. Oh well, I really like my set, so I guess it really doesn’t matter how it measures.

Edits: There seems to also be a bit more mid bass with both switches up. It‘s a little more punchy. As this is a very ear tip dependent IEM, I have to say that certain switch positions sound better with certain ear tips. With the ePros, both switches up sounds a lot better than with some other tips. Regardless of your preferences, this is a very versatile IEM, that one can tune quite a bit, with different ear tips and switch settings.

Further updates: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thieaudio-legacy-3.930478/post-15714673. These updates reveal to me why I’m not a reviewer. :face_palm:

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #682 of 1,778
Hey all, loaner Legacy 3 came in today! I like the slide-over connector pins on the IEM, seems like a sturdy design. As for some quick sound impressions:
  • I hear a lot of timbral coloration, probably the worst I've heard of any IEM.
  • DD bass is clearly present with a good boost, which I like, but it seems to muddle and overlap some.
  • Mid-range lacks coherency and sounds a bit hazy.
  • Pretty dull - maybe laid back - treble.
So yeah, uh...clearly not the most positive impressions, but my honest thoughts. Not outright bad - it just seems to have a darker tone, less-than-stellar technicalities in general. My expectations are also probably a bit skewed as I haven't listened to anything in this price-bracket in a while. I'll post a full-review in the coming week, as well as some select comparisons. I was loaned the Voyager 9 too which I think is at least decent.

IMG_5804.JPG

Jun 25, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #683 of 1,778
Hey all, loaner Legacy 3 came in today! I like the slide-over connector pins on the IEM, seems like a sturdy design. As for some quick sound impressions:
  • DD bass is clearly present with a good boost, which I like, but it seems to muddle and overlap some.
So yeah, uh...clearly not the most positive impressions, but my honest thoughts. Not outright bad - it just seems to have a darker tone, less-than-stellar technicalities in general. My expectations are also probably a bit skewed as I haven't listened to anything in this price-bracket in a while. I'll post a full-review in the coming week, as well as some select comparisons. I was loaned the Voyager 9 too which I think is at least decent.

Yeah I sold mine because for my hearing I was finding it lacking the upper treble and Sub-bass was not as good as my FH7

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #684 of 1,778
I‘ve been listening to the L3 with both switches up again, for longer this time. To me, it seems like it provides a broad midrange boost. There is a boost in male and female vocals, seemingly equal, with some added warmth from added upper bass/lower mids. I find the sub bass and the treble to be pretty much the same, just not as prominent in relative terms, with the midrange boost. Vocals are clearer and more prominent, more in-your-face. You can hear midrange details a little better, but I don’t really find any actual increase in detail, just shifts due to tuning changes. I can definitely see why this is a preferred setting for many people. It seems to provide more clarity. I am, however, very sensitive to upper midrange, and I find that certain female vocals sound a bit more shouty, though not really that offensive. It‘s still a lot milder than other IEMs with a lot of pinna gain. Ultimately, what I don’t really like about the switch up position is that voices sound kind of resonant and boxy, which I’m also really sensitive to.

So, purely my opinion, but I prefer my set with both switches down, in default (0,0) position. What I find a little disconcerting is the fact that antdroid found a significant mismatch on his initial blue set, and that the replacement tuning was somewhere in between. I hope there is not a lot of sample variation. Oh well, I really like my set, so I guess it really doesn’t matter how it measures.

Edit: There seems to also be a bit more mid bass with both switches up. It‘s a little more punchy.
X

Edit: There seems to also be a bit more mid bass with both switches up. It‘s a little more punchy.
Yeah I sold mine because for my hearing I was finding it lacking the upper treble and Sub-bass was not as good as my FH7

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #686 of 1,778
I've turned on both switches now too. Wow, the mids are so sweet. I had an EQ profile set up that basically did just this on the default switch settings (both off), so just flattened out the EQ a bit (which had pumped up the mids some), and it's just about perfect to me. Vocals (on a good recording) are so lush. While the bass still hits hard, and great non-fatiguing sparkle in the highs--Must say I am really loving the Legacy 3! It does have a great tuning for the price, and one of the most comfortable IEMs I have for a universal. And the sound leakage seems very minimal, so you can turn it up and not bother anyone near you. That ticks all my boxes for a great IEM. 😊😁👍
Interesting. When I get home, I'll try both switches on.

**edit: turns out that my switches were on and I eq as below. I'm now using both switches off with no eq.**

Here's how I eq the L3 's on my phone with both switches down.
Screenshot_20200625-191039.png

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #687 of 1,778
Here what I'm seeing as the difference between the switches on vs off. My measurements are admittedly crude (phone w/ dayton calibrated mic).

Screenshot_20200625-204243~2.pngScreenshot_20200625-204141~2.png

Looks like both switches on bump the region around 125 to 1k a couple dB.

edit: I consider everything above 4k to be completely inaccurate, so don't judge. :)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #689 of 1,778
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #690 of 1,778
Your opinions are definitely valid and welcome, but if I may suggest, since you just got them, don’t make too quick judgements.

The one very finicky issue with this IEM is ear tip selection. It makes a HUGE difference, and I don’t think many people like it that much with the stock tips. I found them to make the bass sound muddy and bloated. They also compress the soundstage and roll off the highs quite a bit. Mids sound a bit boxy with them. I also didn’t like the L3 with Final E tips. The general consensus seems to be that the L3s sound the best with wide bore tips, like Sedna Earfit tips or JVC Spiral Dots. I also found them to sound great with ePro Horn-Shaped tips, which makes everything sound quite a lot more lively/dynamic. Dull/laid back is a fair point, as you are not the only one to have that opinion. Treble roll-off is another commonly mentioned issue (for better or worse). I don’t find either issue to be the case for me, but that’s just my opinion.

If you want to base your review only with the included stock cable and tips, that’s fair, but I think it is worth mentioning that most people that tried different tips found them to make a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back