ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jun 20, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #664 of 1,778
L3 owners: have you found the dip switches are prone to cause discomfort? Wondering whether they’d be suitable for long listening sessions or maybe sleeping for someone with small-ish ears.

The guy I bought my initial pair of L3's from did say they scratched his inner ear a little (in a video review he'd done), but I can't feel them at all myself with the same set of L3's or a different set of L3's I bought after selling the first set to a friend.

(I haven't heard him complain about the switches either, and for years he didn't want to use IEM's because he didn't like the idea of sticking things in his ears, so I assume I'd have heard of any problems he had with them)

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #665 of 1,778
I cannot feel the dip switches in my ear whatsoever. The switch is *completely* inside the shell cavity as to be flush on my set (I have a custom color/plate). Are they different on the regular sets? I can't see mine being a problem with anyone's ear.
I have also not tried using the switches however, have kept them on stock positions/tuning...Anyone feel there is a need to change them?

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #666 of 1,778
I changed my tips wich made the sound remarkeble better, then put the first swtich up other down wich improved it more.. but still not to my specs :frowning2: sounds harsh and lacking a bit bass. I think my foam tips blocked 1 of the pathways in the nozzle thats why it sounded so off.. thx for the tip change tips guys. Tried another cable from kbear also but made sq worse so i guess cable is fine. Gonna wait for my balanced cable to try and see if it makes it pop. Otherwise selling my l3s.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #667 of 1,778
I can’t feel the switches either. They’re recessed well. My favorite switch position is default (0,0), and I haven‘t felt the need to change it any more. The first switch didn’t seem to boost the bass to me, but seemed to cause a FR shift that was kinda wonky, The second switch seemed to boost the upper mids more than the treble, which I didn’t like, but I’m quite sensitive to upper mids.

Edit: My opinions on the switches have changed, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thieaudio-legacy-3.930478/post-15714673.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #668 of 1,778
I changed my tips wich made the sound remarkeble better, then put the first swtich up other down wich improved it more.. but still not to my specs :frowning2: sounds harsh and lacking a bit bass. I think my foam tips blocked 1 of the pathways in the nozzle thats why it sounded so off.. thx for the tip change tips guys. Tried another cable from kbear also but made sq worse so i guess cable is fine. Gonna wait for my balanced cable to try and see if it makes it pop. Otherwise selling my l3s.

You probably need something more V-shaped. Though i don't think L3 is the most exciting IEM i own, it is not harsh at all to me. It does all the things quite good. Perhaps the tuning is not your taste.

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #669 of 1,778
***If you find the L3 boring or if you find the treble too rolled off, consider reading this!***

I like trying different ear tips, especially with the L3, which are very tip dependent. Someone recently posted that he was using E-pro horn-shaped ear tips on his Tanchjim Oxygen. It intrigued me b/c they are wide bore tips, and are meant to simulate horn-loaded sound. Honestly, I thought the “horn” shape was a little gimmicky, and that it would prove to be another variation of a wide-bore tip, like the Sedna or Spiral Dot tips. I just got them today, and I have to say, they really have a similar effect to horn loading speaker drivers. Everything is more intense and dynamic sounding. Now, it’s not necessarily better sounding than the Sedna tips, just different. If you’re wanting a smoother, more relaxing experience, these tips are not for you, however, variety is the spice of life.

The set I purchased on Amazon came with three sizes, as opposed to the 6 available sizes with Sedna Earfits. The large size is slightly wider than the largest Sedna. I almost always use the largest tips available, but with the E-pros, I actually like the medium size tips, and insert them deeper. Isolation is similar to the Sednas, and is average for silicone tips. Comfort is excellent. I don’t really like the consistency of the tips. The outer structure and the core are much more pliable than the Sedna tips, with much less structure. This is probably the reason why I can‘t get the large tips to work that well for me. I have to fiddle with them a lot to get them to sit right, and seal well. The medium tips insert and seal much easier.

Now to sound. Often times, horn loading makes the treble much louder, but the bass can seem more recessed relative to the treble. Not so here. The bass sounds a little more focused and dynamic, with a little more punch, but no added mid bass muddiness/boominess. The narrow bore tips I tried, like the Final E tips, did make the bass louder, but also quite a lot boomier. Mids don’t sound recessed either, in fact they sound quite a bit more in-your-face. These tips don’t preferentially boost the upper mids either. Despite the focusing effect, there is no resonant or “honking” effect that I can appreciate. Now treble is where these tips make the most difference. The L3s now have the ability to sound offensive if the recording calls for it. There can be sibilance present now, but it doesn’t make good recordings sound sibilant. The upper treble is MUCH more prominent, with more air, and upper treble harmonics with instruments like cymbals. This may be good or bad, depending on your preferences, but these IEMs really don’t sound rolled off to me at all now, and approach the levels of upper treble of my UE6 Pro, which have the most upper treble of any IEM I own. The sound doesn’t necessarily sound louder overall, just more dynamic and exciting. Regarding imaging, it’s not precise and “locked-in” as with the Sednas, and the soundstage is slightly less wide and deep. One more thing, micro details are not better with these tips, but they are a little easier to notice. They are magnified.

If you can’t tell, I’m excited. Not because these are my new favorite tips for this IEM, but rather b/c it’s almost like I have a new and different sounding IEM. I don’t find the E-pro tips superior to the Sedna tips at all. Again, they’re just different. Do you want a more bombastic sound, or a smoother, more laid back sound?

Anyways, these are my impressions. You may perceive this combo differently, but it may be worth a try.

9A37B18A-E1F0-45B1-BA12-23D0A9A6AFE3.jpeg
369E244F-1976-4542-8787-F1F31439CE59.jpeg

EDIT:
Update (6/23/20): I still agree with my initial impressions of the sound with these tips. It’s just exciting sounding. I did try them with my BL03s, but I didn’t like them as much as the Sedna tips. They don’t fit as well, to effectively lengthen the nozzle, b/c the core structure of the ePro isn’t rigid. It also made the highs sound a bit strident to me, and the bass seemed less pronounced, and also less defined. I tried them with my Tin T4s, and also really like the ePro on those IEMs. They have a very similar effect as they do on the L3. The bass sounds punchier and more lively...everything sounds more lively. The ePro sounded good on the FDX1 also, but I didn’t clearly prefer them over the Final E tips, and I prefer the fit/feel of the Final E tips with the FDX1. I highly recommend grabbing a set of these tips to try with various IEMs. I bought a second set, but really wish they sold packs with all one size.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #670 of 1,778
Oh, another thing is, if you want to bring out the treble and upper mids more with the L3, consider using an all-silver cable. I tried and the TRN T3 cable, and it made a noticeable difference. I just didn’t prefer it to the stock cable.

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #671 of 1,778
***If you find the L3 boring or if you find the treble too rolled off, consider reading this!***

I like trying different ear tips, especially with the L3, which are very tip dependent. Someone recently posted that he was using E-pro horn-shaped ear tips on his Tanchjim Oxygen. It intrigued me b/c they are wide bore tips, and are meant to simulate horn-loaded sound. Honestly, I thought the “horn” shape was a little gimmicky, and that it would prove to be another variation of a wide-bore tip, like the Sedna or Spiral Dot tips. I just got them today, and I have to say, they really have a similar effect to horn loading speaker drivers. Everything is more intense and dynamic sounding. Now, it’s not necessarily better sounding than the Sedna tips, just different. If you’re wanting a smoother, more relaxing experience, these tips are not for you, however, variety is the spice of life.

The set I purchased on Amazon came with three sizes, as opposed to the 6 available sizes with Sedna Earfits. The large size is slightly wider than the largest Sedna. I almost always use the largest tips available, but with the E-pros, I actually like the medium size tips, and insert them deeper. Isolation is similar to the Sednas, and is average for silicone tips. Comfort is excellent. I don’t really like the consistency of the tips. The outer structure and the core are much more pliable than the Sedna tips, with much less structure. This is probably the reason why I can‘t get the large tips to work that well for me. I have to fiddle with them a lot to get them to sit right, and seal well. The medium tips insert and seal much easier.

Now to sound. Often times, horn loading makes the treble much louder, but the bass can seem more recessed relative to the treble. Not so here. The bass sounds a little more focused and dynamic, with a little more punch, but no added mid bass muddiness/boominess. The narrow bore tips I tried, like the Final E tips, did make the bass louder, but also quite a lot boomier. Mids don’t sound recessed either, in fact they sound quite a bit more in-your-face. These tips don’t preferentially boost the upper mids either. Despite the focusing effect, there is no resonant or “honking” effect that I can appreciate. Now treble is where these tips make the most difference. The L3s now have the ability to sound offensive if the recording calls for it. There can be sibilance present now, but it doesn’t make good recordings sound sibilant. The upper treble is MUCH more prominent, with more air, and upper treble harmonics with instruments like cymbals. This may be good or bad, depending on your preferences, but these IEMs really don’t sound rolled off to me at all now, and approach the levels of upper treble of my UE6 Pro, which have the most upper treble of any IEM I own. The sound doesn’t necessarily sound louder overall, just more dynamic and exciting. Regarding imaging, it’s not precise and “locked-in” as with the Sednas, and the soundstage is slightly less wide and deep. One more thing, micro details are not better with these tips, but they are a little easier to notice. They are magnified.

If you can’t tell, I’m excited. Not because these are my new favorite tips for this IEM, but rather b/c it’s almost like I have a new and different sounding IEM. I don’t find the E-pro tips superior to the Sedna tips at all. Again, they’re just different. Do you want a more bombastic sound, or a smoother, more laid back sound?

Anyways, these are my impressions. You may perceive this combo differently, but it may be worth a try.

9A37B18A-E1F0-45B1-BA12-23D0A9A6AFE3.jpeg369E244F-1976-4542-8787-F1F31439CE59.jpeg
Can you include a link to Amazon? I can’t find them when I search...

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #672 of 1,778
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #674 of 1,778
I can’t feel the switches either. They’re recessed well. My favorite switch position is default (0,0), and I haven‘t felt the need to change it any more. The first switch didn’t seem to boost the bass to me, but seemed to cause a FR shift that was kinda wonky, The second switch seemed to boost the upper mids more than the treble, which I didn’t like, but I’m quite sensitive to upper mids.
Thanks for the switch settings info, confirms my decision that I probably won't ever need to change from the stock settings...and that our desired tuning is similar!

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #675 of 1,778
I prefer both switches on.

Having 1 switch up (either case) really doesnt do anything that both on or both off already does, at least from what I hear as well as what I've measured on two units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back