ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #646 of 1,778
My first impression was that the fit is ok and the overall sound is neutral yes like boring. I panicked because I can't hear the bass pumping like some said having received some defects but i changed the eartips and EQd my device eargasmic follows ❤️

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #647 of 1,778
My take on the L3. They are not endgame. But for the price they are very competitive. Thie take on tuning is very mature. I have shuoer tape, Starfields, I basso it01, Tin hifi p4 , Shozy 1.1, Urbanfuns and the Blon 03.. L3 are the most pleasing to the ear while not technically the best of the bunch.

I would be very interested in a comparison with the iBasso IT01 if you have any thoughts. And the Shozy 1.1 if that’s not too much trouble... thank you!

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #648 of 1,778
I'm still thinking those impressions a few are having could be technical issues, but guess my b/g in sound engineering has always been to strive for flattest FR, and I don't hear the L3 as boring or hollow. The dynamics are strong in that it's quite punchy with the bass, in fact I'd say it's still bass-heavy in regard to the overall curve. I also don't hear an attenuated treble as some have spoke of, feel its fairly extended and airy. I design/build my own speaker systems so have a lot more experience in that field than I do with iems-which is why the help/advice from this group is greatly appreciated! And I tend to have to relate more to speaker systems in terminology and comparisons to understand what others mean.
One observation I will concede with L3 is that it's also more faithful to the individual recording than many (lesser) iems I've heard. So some tracks will sound much different. ie--dynamics, compression is much more noticeable and make some tracks sound much worse or 'boring' than others. But that would be true with any sound device that is *technically* better. I have 4-way monitors in a sound-treated room with a studio rack of equipment. Poorly recorded tracks are so much more easily noticeable, immediately (boring). But a good recording is also going to sound very vibrant and strong (fun). So I still think the L3 should sound very dynamic if the tips (seal) is good, or there isn't a wiring issue...and certainly not boring. 😉

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #649 of 1,778
Tnx for the replies guys. I am waiting on my balanced cables for the dx160. Im on the stock l3 cable setting down down, foam tips. I will try the stock tips thx for the tip. For comparison, the urbanfun ybf 0014 sounds very engaging dynamic i adore the sound of it running stockcable also on se on the dx160. It blows the l3 out of the water in everyway. For me the l3 just doenst sound dynamic there is way to less bass and subbass i cant hear any kickdrum from my rockmusic. Its a complete joke to me... had so high expectations from thieaudio.. not just the lacking bass but the whole music just sounds so poor the mids are soo sharp in ur face its a pain to listen to. Also lacking in the highs.. i dont know guys.. will try different tips and balanced when i have the cable. Im on high gain on the dx. Also i dont have any way to eq... i was hoping i could use the peq for the dx160 but it only has it inside the mangoplayer. Wich makes it completely useless to me as i have all my music on spotify and tidal. What a joke advertising it has a peq and then not make it systemwide.. like build in the device not in some random player... any tips for eq? chifi letting me down!😆. Greetings from holland.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #650 of 1,778
I'm still thinking those impressions a few are having could be technical issues, but guess my b/g in sound engineering has always been to strive for flattest FR, and I don't hear the L3 as boring or hollow. The dynamics are strong in that it's quite punchy with the bass, in fact I'd say it's still bass-heavy in regard to the overall curve. I also don't hear an attenuated treble as some have spoke of, feel its fairly extended and airy. I design/build my own speaker systems so have a lot more experience in that field than I do with iems-which is why the help/advice from this group is greatly appreciated! And I tend to have to relate more to speaker systems in terminology and comparisons to understand what others mean.
One observation I will concede with L3 is that it's also more faithful to the individual recording than many (lesser) iems I've heard. So some tracks will sound much different. ie--dynamics, compression is much more noticeable and make some tracks sound much worse or 'boring' than others. But that would be true with any sound device that is *technically* better. I have 4-way monitors in a sound-treated room with a studio rack of equipment. Poorly recorded tracks are so much more easily noticeable, immediately (boring). But a good recording is also going to sound very vibrant and strong (fun). So I still think the L3 should sound very dynamic if the tips (seal) is good, or there isn't a wiring issue...and certainly not boring. 😉
That’s pretty much spot on with they way I hear/perceive the L3s.

Jun 19, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #651 of 1,778
I would be very interested in a comparison with the iBasso IT01 if you have any thoughts. And the Shozy 1.1 if that’s not too much trouble... thank you!
I recently sold my IT-01 pair as those still held good value. But I sold them because I had a number of IEMs I liked better including the BLON-03, LZ A2, Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, and FLC8D. They were sold even before I had the L3 in hand.

If I was to go pure DD again, I would look at the Moondrop Starfield (think that is the name) not the IT-01. My two favorite IEMs right now at the L3 and the FLC8D. My most used IEM are the Apple Airpod Pro; because they are great for exercise (especially biking).

I think the IT-01 were a bit more bloated and less refined than the others discussed above. Hard to put my finger on it but I found the others to be more enjoyable listens. Frankly, even though they aren't perfect and use compression (by definition) I would rather use my Apple Airpod Pros than the IT-01.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #652 of 1,778
not just the lacking bass but the whole music just sounds so poor the mids are soo sharp in ur face its a pain to listen to. Also lacking in the highs.. i dont know guys.. will try different tips and balanced when i have the cable.
Based on your comments, I predict you are in fact not getting a good seal with your eartips. Without a proper seal, the L3 will sound mediocre at best. Also look at your DIP switch settings.

Without a proper seal all IEMs will sound pretty lackluster. Not all tips work the same with all IEMs.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #653 of 1,778

This is very close to what I felt about the L3 but was unable to put into words, nice! It's true, even the well recorded tracks off youtube sound better on this set and the poorly recorded become barely enjoyable.worth the trade off though! just have to have seperate playlists..

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #654 of 1,778
This is very close to what I felt about the L3 but was unable to put into words, nice! It's true, even the well recorded tracks off youtube sound better on this set and the poorly recorded become barely enjoyable.worth the trade off though! just have to have seperate playlists..
And it's also a reason why universally-loved iems such as blon03 have a 'magical' quality, in that it's more forgiving with lesser quality recordings. I do actually still love the bl03 in that regard myself, although I find the mid bass too pronounced, and just can't get a good fit to stay comfortable in my ears for long.
I have some Shure srh studio headphones that many consider anemic for music listening (enjoyment) because they are just so flat (FR) and uncolored, but very revealing with recordings. Also find that many people just have a 'sound' that they have become accustomed to, so it becomes their tuning of preference (such as the so-called warmness of bose). I have 5 other sets of speakers in my studio room besides the 4way tower monitors, which have much less accurate tunings. Many might actually prefer the less neutral tone of one of them. But it's so easy to listen to most older recordings and hear the imperfections clearly. You can even detect punch-ins on some tracks (esp where the vocal track was cut/replaced in a portion). But the dynamics in music should still sound very good with a decent recording, regardless of a bit of tuning color.

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #655 of 1,778
And it's also a reason why universally-loved iems such as blon03 have a 'magical' quality, in that it's more forgiving with lesser quality recordings. I do actually still love the bl03 in that regard myself, although I find the mid bass too pronounced, and just can't get a good fit to stay comfortable in my ears for long.
I have some Shure srh studio headphones that many consider anemic for music listening (enjoyment) because they are just so flat (FR) and uncolored, but very revealing with recordings. Also find that many people just have a 'sound' that they have become accustomed to, so it becomes their tuning of preference (such as the so-called warmness of bose). I have 5 other sets of speakers in my studio room besides the 4way tower monitors, which have much less accurate tunings. Many might actually prefer the less neutral tone of one of them. But it's so easy to listen to most older recordings and hear the imperfections clearly. You can even detect punch-ins on some tracks (esp where the vocal track was cut/replaced in a portion). But the dynamics in music should still sound very good with a decent recording, regardless of a bit of tuning color.
Yes, the most accurate studio monitors are rarely coveted home speakers. None of my favorite speakers are accurate enough to be monitors.

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #656 of 1,778
Tnx for the replies guys. I am waiting on my balanced cables for the dx160. Im on the stock l3 cable setting down down, foam tips. I will try the stock tips thx for the tip. For comparison, the urbanfun ybf 0014 sounds very engaging dynamic i adore the sound of it running stockcable also on se on the dx160. It blows the l3 out of the water in everyway. For me the l3 just doenst sound dynamic there is way to less bass and subbass i cant hear any kickdrum from my rockmusic. Its a complete joke to me... had so high expectations from thieaudio.. not just the lacking bass but the whole music just sounds so poor the mids are soo sharp in ur face its a pain to listen to. Also lacking in the highs.. i dont know guys.. will try different tips and balanced when i have the cable. Im on high gain on the dx. Also i dont have any way to eq... i was hoping i could use the peq for the dx160 but it only has it inside the mangoplayer. Wich makes it completely useless to me as i have all my music on spotify and tidal. What a joke advertising it has a peq and then not make it systemwide.. like build in the device not in some random player... any tips for eq? chifi letting me down!😆. Greetings from holland.
Hmm...
It still sounds to me like you are either not getting a good seal with your tips or something else is still wrong-Honestly.
I have the urbanfun too, and they are dynamic/punchy but to me the upper MR/treble is actually more strident, grainy, more sibilant, and not nearly as overall smooth as the L3. With a proper seal, the L3 bass is every bit as strong, and not as sloppy (faster decay).

Have you tried another SE cable, or used the L3 with another source other than dx160?

You can use other apps on the dx160: PowerAmp has a great 10-band (graphic) EQ along with bass/treble tunings that are useful. You can save multiple EQ settings for each iem. Parametric EQ, while useful, can be much harder to use accurately. (I have a 31-band/ch Graphic & parametric EQ in my studio rack). The sound you describe is mostly just a lack in bass, while over-pronounced mid-treble? Still sounds like a bad tip fitment. It'd be possible that you had a bad dynamic driver, but not likely both out in the pair.
Ive seen others say that the treble is lacking in the L3 too, but not to my ears (and I'm used to listening to ribbon tweeters in several of my speaker sets) and I am very sensitive to bad treble in particular.
Keep trying as many tips as you can. My favorites are jvc spiral dots, Seda earfit lights. And don't assume that your favorite tips work on all iems. (I need large tips on the bl03 just for the short nozzle to stay in my ear, but use smaller tips on L3).

Did you say for sure that the cable on your L3 is NOT a 4-pole 3.5mm jack? (4-pin plugs do NOT WORK in the dx160 jack and will cause phase cancelation).
Keep trying! I'm sure you are not hearing how good the L3 can sound.

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #657 of 1,778
I recently sold my IT-01 pair as those still held good value. But I sold them because I had a number of IEMs I liked better including the BLON-03, LZ A2, Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, and FLC8D. They were sold even before I had the L3 in hand.

If I was to go pure DD again, I would look at the Moondrop Starfield (think that is the name) not the IT-01. My two favorite IEMs right now at the L3 and the FLC8D. My most used IEM are the Apple Airpod Pro; because they are great for exercise (especially biking).

I think the IT-01 were a bit more bloated and less refined than the others discussed above. Hard to put my finger on it but I found the others to be more enjoyable listens. Frankly, even though they aren't perfect and use compression (by definition) I would rather use my Apple Airpod Pros than the IT-01.

Thank you, that’s extremely helpful. I’ll avoid the iBasso. And its price on Amazon UK has just in the course of today gone up to £160; the algorithm sensed my presence, I guessed. I might place an order for custom L3 shells in black from Linsoul, although a photo posted above made it look as thought the custom faceplates have a big ‘THIEAUDIO’ logo on them which I’m not totally sold on.

I wonder how the L3 compares to the Moondrop KXXS (if it makes sense to compare them?)

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #658 of 1,778
Yes, the most accurate studio monitors are rarely coveted home speakers. None of my favorite speakers are accurate enough to be monitors.
Yes. And I think that's the very trait that makes L3 good for just music listening pleasure! : it's resolving enough and fairly accurate, but still somewhat musical and fun with a moderate v-tuning. Decent mids, punchy bass, treble that isnt too harsh or spiky.

Jun 19, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #659 of 1,778

Yea I love my blons, very 'musical'. Only d**n complain is how the it sounds a tad muddy, otherwise it's really nice. Oh, and the fit too, it sits well, but not firmly..

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #660 of 1,778
P1040229.JPGP1040239.JPG

Posted my review of the Legacy 3 and Voyager 3 here: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2020/06/thieaudio-legacy-3-and-voyager-3-review.html

Legacy 3 is a great IEM for this price range. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back