ThieAudio Legacy 9
Jun 1, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #556 of 689
On their way ...

1590603501098.jpeg

Unfortunately, the L9 I purchased from a head-fier ran into a problematic shipping issue and I canceled the order. I’m sad about this since I was looking forward to reviewing the L9 and comparing it to my other IEMs. Anyway, I know I will end up buying a set, but this time I think I’ll just get in line and order it from Linsoul.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #557 of 689
Lily sent me some pictures of my finished Legacy 9 that will be shipped out. Its funny that they had me confirm the color before they ship it out. I totally wasnt expecting an email and could not answer for several days.
I ordered red/blue so it is quite close. I hope they arrive soon.

Attachments

• 微信图片_202005281402392.jpg
    微信图片_202005281402392.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 微信图片_202005281402391.jpg
    微信图片_202005281402391.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 微信图片_20200528140239.jpg
    微信图片_20200528140239.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 微信图片_202005281402393.jpg
    微信图片_202005281402393.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 微信图片_202005281402394.jpg
    微信图片_202005281402394.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #558 of 689
Lily sent me some pictures of my finished Legacy 9 that will be shipped out. Its funny that they had me confirm the color before they ship it out. I totally wasnt expecting an email and could not answer for several days.
I ordered red/blue so it is quite close. I hope they arrive soon.

It took 4 days for the 7Hz i99 to reach me in CA after my purchase from Linsoul, so best of luck for a speedy delivery. Your blue/red turned out real nice, and I imagine Linsoul is contacting customers of the L9 now since there has been variance in the finish, sometimes way off from the site’s pictures.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #559 of 689
Hi all,

This is my first venture into "chifi" market, and I'm tossing up between the 7Hz i99 and the ThieAudio L9.

I'm a basshead through and through, with my focus being EDM music with midbass prevalence, I love the kicks in psytrance, and drum rumbles in Drum n bass for example.

I was considering the Legend X, but for the cost apparently both of these perform within a similar realm? Any advice between the i99 and the L9 would be really appreciated.

Currently I'm using Campfire Audio Atlas, and they just lack midbass ;(

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #560 of 689
Hi all,

This is my first venture into "chifi" market, and I'm tossing up between the 7Hz i99 and the ThieAudio L9.

I'm a basshead through and through, with my focus being EDM music with midbass prevalence, I love the kicks in psytrance, and drum rumbles in Drum n bass for example.

I was considering the Legend X, but for the cost apparently both of these perform within a similar realm? Any advice between the i99 and the L9 would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

I bought an i99 a few weeks ago and really like it a lot, it definitely has pronounced bass. I’ve been interested in acquiring an L9, and thought I had one coming, but the deal fell through.

You should check if you haven’t already BGGAR’s YouTube site where he posts graphs on both models as well as reviews.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #561 of 689
I bought an i99 a few weeks ago and really like it a lot, it definitely has pronounced bass. I’ve been interested in acquiring an L9, and thought I had one coming, but the deal fell through.

You should check if you haven’t already BGGAR’s YouTube site where he posts graphs on both models as well as reviews.

I've watched his reviews and read the graphs, he seems to love them both, graphs are very similar too so was hoping for a real comparison :frowning2:

I've signed up as a patreon to his page and messaged him, I'll post the reply here if I get one.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #562 of 689
I've watched his reviews and read the graphs, he seems to love them both, graphs are very similar too so was hoping for a real comparison :frowning2:

I've signed up as a patreon to his page and messaged him, I'll post the reply here if I get one.

The i99 is a beautifully made IEM and I’m really happy with my purchase. I’m waiting to hear back from Linsoul on the L9 on whether there are any finishes available now.

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #563 of 689
Hi all,

Thanks!

I don't know the i99 but the L9 has more sub bass than mid bass. If you want mid bass focus consider the V14 (much pricier though). Drums on the V14 are excellent.

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #564 of 689
Received the L9, but not the color they had me confirm. I don't mind because they sound great. Bigger soundstage and way more bass than Legacy 3. I was looking for a Sony N3 upgrade and these are a welcome addition. Of course, the bass is so strong, that its not suited for every song. At the same time, the other frequencies are very clear and detailed. Treble is on the edge to bright but I rarely think its harsh. Smartphone drives them fine, only very small difference on DX160 (maybe smoother treble but I would fail A-B test). I feel myself turning down the volume a little more with these because the bass and treble is so intense/fatiguing (that was the same for the N3). The N3 is a little more intimate because everything is closer but I usually prefer the greater perceived stage.

Cable is the same as L3, they included some CP100 tips. I use Symbio W and CP145 (most comfortable). CP100 are bass-boosters in my ears which are not necessary on L9. Fit for me is better than the L3 (even though they look the same). If you're short on money I would probably recommend the Shuoer Tape with heavy EQ to make them sound close. I still feel they're worth the asking price and you get a very individual wood shell. Not the best bang for buck because of diminishing returns and they are designed for specific genres and excel in those. I felt like the L3 could not choose what they want to do best and they kinda did everything but did not excel in some genres. You can probably tone down the L9 bass a few db and make them more all-round. A bass switch would have been insane on those but I prefer no switches to L3 switches that change so little.

Great set for bass-loving audiophiles in summary. I can't compare with other sets at this price-range or at higher prices but going by frequency, a comparison with Campfire Atlas or 7hz i99 would be interesting. JQ Hua with a little Bass EQ maybe next? :wink: I would also be interested how far the L9 is away from the Z1R.

Attachments

• image-20200605_115731.jpg
    image-20200605_115731.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #565 of 689
Received the L9, but not the color they had me confirm. I don't mind because they sound great. Bigger soundstage and way more bass than Legacy 3. I was looking for a Sony N3 upgrade and these are a welcome addition. Of course, the bass is so strong, that its not suited for every song. At the same time, the other frequencies are very clear and detailed. Treble is on the edge to bright but I rarely think its harsh. Smartphone drives them fine, only very small difference on DX160 (maybe smoother treble but I would fail A-B test). I feel myself turning down the volume a little more with these because the bass and treble is so intense/fatiguing (that was the same for the N3). The N3 is a little more intimate because everything is closer but I usually prefer the greater perceived stage.

Cable is the same as L3, they included some CP100 tips. I use Symbio W and CP145 (most comfortable). CP100 are bass-boosters in my ears which are not necessary on L9. Fit for me is better than the L3 (even though they look the same). If you're short on money I would probably recommend the Shuoer Tape with heavy EQ to make them sound close. I still feel they're worth the asking price and you get a very individual wood shell. Not the best bang for buck because of diminishing returns and they are designed for specific genres and excel in those. I felt like the L3 could not choose what they want to do best and they kinda did everything but did not excel in some genres. You can probably tone down the L9 bass a few db and make them more all-round. A bass switch would have been insane on those but I prefer no switches to L3 switches that change so little.

Great set for bass-loving audiophiles in summary. I can't compare with other sets at this price-range or at higher prices but going by frequency, a comparison with Campfire Atlas or 7hz i99 would be interesting. JQ Hua with a little Bass EQ maybe next? :wink: I would also be interested how far the L9 is away from the Z1R.

Those may be the most beautiful L9s I’ve yet seen. Congrats!

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #566 of 689
I have been experimenting with cables lately and while I settled for a while with the CEMA UPOCC pure copper 4 cores, the bass was a tad too big for my perfect liking. Well this weekend I finally received my cables I ordered on Aliexpress end of March (crazy shipping delays). But the UPOCC aolizi crystal copper silver plated cable I ordered is taking the crown. It tames the bass a little bit, expands the soundstage and somehow makes the whole sound more coherent. Absolutely beautiful.
I have now a seriously impressive iem/cable combo in my ears. Amazing. 20200608_095948.jpg

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #567 of 689
Just curious, if any owners of the L9 could chime in and let me know how the BLON03 sounds comparatively( my guess is much worse) The whole reason I even bring this up is because I noticed quite a similarity in the FR graphs and want to know how much of this actually translates into the sound of the two being the same or different. Take a look.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200609-143558_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200609-143558_Chrome.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 0
Jun 9, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #568 of 689
Just curious, if any owners of the L9 could chime in and let me know how the BLON03 sounds comparatively( my guess is much worse) The whole reason I even bring this up is because I noticed quite a similarity in the FR graphs and want to know how much of this actually translates into the sound of the two being the same or different. Take a look.
I can compare tonight, but just from memory - L9 bass has more authority, especially sub bass. There’s also more sparkle in the treble. L9 feels slightly more V shaped. To my ears L9 is a step up in all departments from the Blon 03

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #569 of 689
I can compare tonight, but just from memory - L9 bass has more authority, especially sub bass. There’s also more sparkle in the treble. L9 feels slightly more V shaped. To my ears L9 is a step up in all departments from the Blon 03

Second this. L9 has much more sub bass and is technically superior to the BLON.

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #570 of 689
I wouldn’t call it “much worse”
While L9 has better separation and resolution the 03 is still a very nice IEM regardless of price. Yes L9 is marginally better but way more expensive. For others, who don’t need stronger sub bass or more intense treble, the Blons might be preferred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back