THIEAUDIO ELIXIR UNIVERSAL IN EAR
May 16, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #76 of 138
I do want an IEM that doesn't hide treble details but that isn't too intense on the pinna gain. The Oracle might be the one I'm looking for but I think it might be a bit too relaxed for me. Maybe I should get the L2 just to get a feel for the tuning? It seems to have less bass and less extended treble than the Oracle, though.
Any ideas?

Eric,

If you want to sample the Thieaudio entry level IEMs for tuning etc., I'd suggest you get the Legacy 3. I think it's the one that most resemble the Oracle, with both switches set to 00 (default).

Cheers,

May 16, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #77 of 138
I have the Legacy 3 and 4. Enjoy both very much. For the money the 3 is surprisingly good and very comfortable fit. I have trouble with IEM fittings and thieaudio is one that is really a good fit for my ears-----I would really recommend the Legacy 3 highly--for the price you really cannot go wrong--its a serious bargain----a real gem.

May 16, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #78 of 138
I have the Legacy 3 and 4. Enjoy both very much. For the money the 3 is surprisingly good and very comfortable fit. I have trouble with IEM fittings and thieaudio is one that is really a good fit for my ears-----I would really recommend the Legacy 3 highly--for the price you really cannot go wrong--its a serious bargain----a real gem.
While I respect your opinion, as a fellow owner of Legacy 3, I think it's an absolute garbage. Without EQ the sound is extremely muddy and the highs just don't exist. EQ manages to obviously bring them to near TOTL tuning but they still lack details quite heavily. The sound doesn't have texture and while the stage is alright, the instrument separation is nonexistent.
They were and are my first IEM... let's just say that a week after buying them I was already looking for a replacement...

I would never suggest buying them, to anyone. They had their time and currently you can get much better IEMs in this price segment. My sister got Tin T4 for almost half the price I got the L3 for and considering now I could get an Olina, ThieAudio Legacy 3 (and 2 since I've heard it's somehow even worse in technicalities) just isn't an objectively good choice.

May 16, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #79 of 138
Yeah, I keep hearing how weak the Legacy 3's technicalities are. Crinacle said the L3 is fine, but is largely outclassed by the Aria, Titan S and ER2XR

Crin gave the L3 a C- on technicalities which is pretty abysmal given most technically mediocre IEMs get a C+ from him.

I don't see any good reason to get an L3 over the competition outside of comfort.

Edit: it's about the L3, not the L2.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #80 of 138
Yeah, I keep hearing how weak the Legacy 3's technicalities are. Crinacle said the L3 is fine, but is largely outclassed by the Aria, Titan S and ER2XR

Crin gave the L3 a C- on technicalities which is pretty abysmal given most technically mediocre IEMs get a C+ from him.

I don't see any good reason to get an L3 over the competition outside of comfort.
Crin gave it C+ on tech, the L2 got a B+/C- while L3 had B/C+, both a general ranking of C+. I don't know much about tuning rating and how acceptable it is. While I still have the L3, I use it EQd to my preferred target curve. I'm currently looking at higher tier offerings: Moondrop Variations, ThieAudio Monarch, UM MEST etc.

And tbh I've listened to Andromeda 2020, Fiio FH9, FD7, UM MEXT, Shuoer EJ07M, S12 and Softears Volume. ALL of them improve with EQ, some drastically, some less so. I honestly don't know why people don't just EQ, it makes SO MUCH difference. Then you have to worry mostly about tech.

And this is where L3 is ****ing garbage lmao.

May 16, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #81 of 138
Crin gave it C+ on tech, the L2 got a B+/C- while L3 had B/C+, both a general ranking of C+. I don't know much about tuning rating and how acceptable it is. While I still have the L3, I use it EQd to my preferred target curve. I'm currently looking at higher tier offerings: Moondrop Variations, ThieAudio Monarch, UM MEST etc.

And tbh I've listened to Andromeda 2020, Fiio FH9, FD7, UM MEXT, Shuoer EJ07M, S12 and Softears Volume. ALL of them improve with EQ, some drastically, some less so. I honestly don't know why people don't just EQ, it makes SO MUCH difference. Then you have to worry mostly about tech.

And this is where L3 is ****ing garbage lmao.
Oops, I my mistake!

May 16, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #82 of 138
The Legacy 4 and Elixir are a great boxing match, due to being both made by THIEAUDIO and both only a few dollars apart in cost, $195\$209. The results will be contained in my review soon.

May 16, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #83 of 138
20220516_195023.jpg

graph.png
graph (1).png

May 17, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #84 of 138
I just noticed that the graph here and the one posted by BGGAR at squig.link looks very much like his Tin Hifi T3+ graph. Only difference is that Elixir has a few DB lower from 2500 Hz all the way to 20kHz. It would be interesting if someone could compare them.

May 17, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #86 of 138
Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #87 of 138
It would be nice if someone could compare Elixir to Penon Serial, too. All dynamic driver iem but with 3 DDs. They shouldn't be too different in their respective sound.

May 19, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #88 of 138
It would be nice if someone could compare Elixir to Penon Serial, too. All dynamic driver iem but with 3 DDs. They shouldn't be too different in their respective sound.
If someone wants to send me an Elixir I’m down!

May 19, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #89 of 138
Ordered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back