There's My Supra...
Sep 14, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #46 of 166
This was hilarious. 

But...in all honesty, I've seen some so called "point-to-point" wiring where it looks unbelievably shoddy (not sure if this applies to this particular amp)...and can only imagine how it would look through an x-ray.  Coupled to the fact that tube amps are kind of a rare novelty that very few actually own and I can imagine this mistake happening - strange grenade like looking tubes all surrounded by "point-to-point" wiring - that's how it might have appeared to common folk, peering through an x-ray.

Better safe than sorry in that situation.  If it looks like an explosive - call the authorities, they tried calling the owner - who always answers the phone, but on this occassion was not answering.  I don't think anyone did the wrong thing and its good to see people on their toes and authorities are alert.  Just a series of unfortunate coincidences.  Nice to have a laugh and not look to deeply into blaming anybody.

I hope, like others said, you're not the scapegoat for the embarrassment.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #48 of 166
Awesome. Just awesome.

But you have to admit, if a twitchy, 'hair triggered' mail intern saw this on the X-ray, ... it's sort of easy to see how the snowball rolled:

LOL.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #50 of 166
Way to represent washington headfi. We are trying to build interest here but I dont know if this will be considered a positive headfi moment. Funny stuff though.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #52 of 166
Wow...just wow....are you married?  Talk about the epic: "you got some splainin' to do!".
Hope you are alright after this incident.  Professionally and personally.

Like, "how many times have you had these things shipped to your work!?"

This is a good reason not to ship things to your company's loading dock, eh.

Seriously, hope all is well for you and you come out of this alright.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #54 of 166

Quote:
This was hilarious. 

But...in all honesty, I've seen some so called "point-to-point" wiring where it looks unbelievably shoddy (not sure if this applies to this particular amp)...and can only imagine how it would look through an x-ray.  Coupled to the fact that tube amps are kind of a rare novelty that very few actually own and I can imagine this mistake happening - strange grenade like looking tubes all surrounded by "point-to-point" wiring - that's how it might have appeared to common folk, peering through an x-ray.

Better safe than sorry in that situation.  If it looks like an explosive - call the authorities, they tried calling the owner - who always answers the phone, but on this occassion was not answering.  I don't think anyone did the wrong thing and its good to see people on their toes and authorities are alert.  Just a series of unfortunate coincidences.  Nice to have a laugh and not look to deeply into blaming anybody.

I hope, like others said, you're not the scapegoat for the embarrassment.

It does. There's a 20+ page thread on how the Supra is shoddily built and dangerous already here, it wouldn't make much sense to repeat it though.

IIRC, the thread poster was part of that discussion.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #55 of 166

Quote:
Awesome. Just awesome.

But you have to admit, if a twitchy, 'hair triggered' mail intern saw this on the X-ray, ... it's sort of easy to see how the snowball rolled:

LOL.

Mate, c'mon - if it looked anything like that.  If I'd seen it through an x-ray, I'd call the bomb disposal unit myself.  $200 dollar tube amps from China don't look like this.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #56 of 166

Quote:
Awesome. Just awesome.

LOL.

This makes me angry I wasn't there
Sure a large pipe with wires or what appears to be clay with wires would be scary but it's pretty easy to identify Capacitors and what would appear to be lightbulbs are OK
I mean, what if IT orders a replacement PSU for a desktop? (pictured)

Does this deserve bomb squad treatment too?

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #57 of 166
Awesome. I personally think you should get an official print one and laminate/keep it forever. Glad they didn't blow it up or shoot pressurized water though it; that would have caused some problems. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #59 of 166
I think I still have a job.  But not entirely sure, as I also took today off to spend with my son.

I work as a Paralegal in the City Attorney's Office, and have often had items delivered there.  It avoids the possibility of anything getting stolen sitting on my porch for hours on end while I'm not home.

The timing of it all is what gets me.  First, the box was supposed to be delivered by the post office last Thursday, at the latest.  It didn't arrive.  Then, I was hoping for a Friday delivery...no dice.

So I expected to see the box sitting in my office today, as I initially wasn't going to take the day off (and actually, taking today off had nothing to do with this fiasco).  Had the mail man delivered the package just one hour earlier, I would have been accessible either on my home line or cell.  Or, better yet, had they delivered last week, there wouldn't have been an issue, either. 

And as for getting items delivered to the office, there is no set policy that I'm aware of that prohibits it and many of the employees get at least some of their packages delievered there.  So it's not something that is prohibited.  I'm certain, however, that there will be a policy in place shortly. 

When I first learned of this yesterday, I was totally shocked by what had transpired.  I then briefly laughed my ass off.  But mostly I felt so bad for all the manhours that was wasted due to my box.  I mean, the City/County building is a 10-story building with a dozen or so courtrooms, lots of attorneys, judges, juries, witnesses...I mean, there's a ton of folks who do business there on a daily basis.  And for it to be shut down for several hours...it just sickens me to think of all the taxpayer dollars that was wasted.

I spoke with my boss yesterday afternoon.  Luckily, she didn't seem angry.  She seemed more amused and amazed at what had happened.  Apparently, the bomb squad was going to blow up the box, but she informed the security person that I was expecting a package and that I oftentimes get electronics delivered to the office.  So I have her to thank for the amp still being in one piece.  She did tell me that security still had the package and that they wanted to speak with me. 

The incident was on the 11 o'clock news last night, but it didn't show the bomb squad actually take out the amp.  I've yet to see the video someone has posted in this thread so I'll have to check that out.  Also, someone else posted that it appeared they (the bomb squad) broke something.  I certainly hope that's not the case.  But if it is, I think I can live with it, considering the commotion caused. 

I'm 100 percent certain I'll be teased about this for a very long time. 

I'll keep you all posted on what happens tomorrow.

Cheers.

Mamoru

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #60 of 166

Quote:
This makes me angry I wasn't there
Sure a large pipe with wires or what appears to be clay with wires would be scary but it's pretty easy to identify Capacitors and what would appear to be lightbulbs are OK
I mean, what if IT orders a replacement PSU for a desktop? (pictured)

Does this deserve bomb squad treatment too?

You assume common folk should know what a homemade bomb looks like, why should they?  And you seriously cannot see how one looks like DIY and this one mass manufactured.  You seriously think these two look similar?  I'm sure even common folk can tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back