There's My Supra...
Sep 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #61 of 166

Quote:
I think I still have a job.  But not entirely sure, as I also took today off to spend with my son.

I work as a Paralegal in the City Attorney's Office, and have often had items delivered there.  It avoids the possibility of anything getting stolen sitting on my porch for hours on end while I'm not home.

The timing of it all is what gets me.  First, the box was supposed to be delivered by the post office last Thursday, at the latest.  It didn't arrive.  Then, I was hoping for a Friday delivery...no dice.

So I expected to see the box sitting in my office today, as I initially wasn't going to take the day off (and actually, taking today off had nothing to do with this fiasco).  Had the mail man delivered the package just one hour earlier, I would have been accessible either on my home line or cell.  Or, better yet, had they delivered last week, there wouldn't have been an issue, either. 

And as for getting items delivered to the office, there is no set policy that I'm aware of that prohibits it and many of the employees get at least some of their packages delievered there.  So it's not something that is prohibited.  I'm certain, however, that there will be a policy in place shortly. 

When I first learned of this yesterday, I was totally shocked by what had transpired.  I then briefly laughed my ass off.  But mostly I felt so bad for all the manhours that was wasted due to my box.  I mean, the City/County building is a 10-story building with a dozen or so courtrooms, lots of attorneys, judges, juries, witnesses...I mean, there's a ton of folks who do business there on a daily basis.  And for it to be shut down for several hours...it just sickens me to think of all the taxpayer dollars that was wasted.

I spoke with my boss yesterday afternoon.  Luckily, she didn't seem angry.  She seemed more amused and amazed at what had happened.  Apparently, the bomb squad was going to blow up the box, but she informed the security person that I was expecting a package and that I oftentimes get electronics delivered to the office.  So I have her to thank for the amp still being in one piece.  She did tell me that security still had the package and that they wanted to speak with me. 

The incident was on the 11 o'clock news last night, but it didn't show the bomb squad actually take out the amp.  I've yet to see the video someone has posted in this thread so I'll have to check that out.  Also, someone else posted that it appeared they (the bomb squad) broke something.  I certainly hope that's not the case.  But if it is, I think I can live with it, considering the commotion caused. 

I'm 100 percent certain I'll be teased about this for a very long time. 

I'll keep you all posted on what happens tomorrow.

Cheers.

Mamoru

Well you'll always have an amazing story, perhaps one of the best in Head-Fi history.... and video proof! I wish you the best of luck. And also, the video is immensely entertaining, especially knowing what is really in the box and seeing the group of puzzled people standing around.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #62 of 166

Quote:
I think I still have a job.  But not entirely sure, as I also took today off to spend with my son.

I work as a Paralegal in the City Attorney's Office, and have often had items delivered there.  It avoids the possibility of anything getting stolen sitting on my porch for hours on end while I'm not home.

The timing of it all is what gets me.  First, the box was supposed to be delivered by the post office last Thursday, at the latest.  It didn't arrive.  Then, I was hoping for a Friday delivery...no dice.

So I expected to see the box sitting in my office today, as I initially wasn't going to take the day off (and actually, taking today off had nothing to do with this fiasco).  Had the mail man delivered the package just one hour earlier, I would have been accessible either on my home line or cell.  Or, better yet, had they delivered last week, there wouldn't have been an issue, either. 

And as for getting items delivered to the office, there is no set policy that I'm aware of that prohibits it and many of the employees get at least some of their packages delievered there.  So it's not something that is prohibited.  I'm certain, however, that there will be a policy in place shortly. 

When I first learned of this yesterday, I was totally shocked by what had transpired.  I then briefly laughed my ass off.  But mostly I felt so bad for all the manhours that was wasted due to my box.  I mean, the City/County building is a 10-story building with a dozen or so courtrooms, lots of attorneys, judges, juries, witnesses...I mean, there's a ton of folks who do business there on a daily basis.  And for it to be shut down for several hours...it just sickens me to think of all the taxpayer dollars that was wasted.

I spoke with my boss yesterday afternoon.  Luckily, she didn't seem angry.  She seemed more amused and amazed at what had happened.  Apparently, the bomb squad was going to blow up the box, but she informed the security person that I was expecting a package and that I oftentimes get electronics delivered to the office.  So I have her to thank for the amp still being in one piece.  She did tell me that security still had the package and that they wanted to speak with me. 

The incident was on the 11 o'clock news last night, but it didn't show the bomb squad actually take out the amp.  I've yet to see the video someone has posted in this thread so I'll have to check that out.  Also, someone else posted that it appeared they (the bomb squad) broke something.  I certainly hope that's not the case.  But if it is, I think I can live with it, considering the commotion caused. 

Cheers.

Mamoru

I'm glad work is not looking at penalising you for unfortunate incident....of which just occurs from time to time.  You can look back at this and have stories for your kids and then they can tell your grand children about their grandpa...makes life interesting and fun.
smile.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #63 of 166
Holy cow our posts were entertainingly similar for being posted at the exact same time SP. Our telepathy needs to stop.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #64 of 166
Glad to hear from you, and best of luck with the rest of your interesting situation.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #66 of 166

Quote:

Cheers.

Mamoru

What appeared to be loose could be a small cardboard box that I assume would be for the tubes.  At least that's what it looked like to me from the blurry video.

Crazy.  Hope everything turns out OK for all.

I wonder why they do the screening right there at the court house?  Wouldn't it make more sense to screen the mail at an off-site location so if something is found you don't have to evacuate the entire court house to investigate the suspicious package?

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #67 of 166
Sep 14, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #69 of 166

Quote:

Thanks.

I'm sure tomorrow will be one of my more "interesting" days.

Cheers.

I wish the best for you and your amp. As long as it is unharmed all should be well.

That said, perhaps if it is damaged, you could receive some compensation, provided you did nothing illegal or against policy.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #71 of 166
This is just another example of how our iPOD culture oppresses audiophiles. The MP3 Gestapo took this guy's amp! Oh my lawd! 
L3000.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #73 of 166

Quote:

You assume common folk should know what a homemade bomb looks like, why should they?  And you seriously cannot see how one looks like DIY and this one mass manufactured.  You seriously think these two look similar?  I'm sure even common folk can tell the difference.

1.Have you played any modern FPS? Any 15 year old that's played CoD knows exactly what C4 looks like and a pipe bomb is just plain obvious
2.Yes I do! Aside from the specific components the only difference between the two is cable management
3.Don't they train the people who operate these machines? I'm sure the people at the post office didn't think twice before deeming it harmless electronics
If the only giveaway for a bomb is messy wiring I sure hope no domestic terrorist are reading this
The guy who makes these really needs to learn some cable management though : \

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #74 of 166
Quote:
This makes me angry I wasn't there
Sure a large pipe with wires or what appears to be clay with wires would be scary but it's pretty easy to identify Capacitors and what would appear to be lightbulbs are OK
I mean, what if IT orders a replacement PSU for a desktop? (pictured)

Does this deserve bomb squad treatment too?

On a recent flight I had a UPS in my checked luggage that was taken apart by either customs or TSA to look inside it (unfortunately broke it in the process). Luckily I had my headphone amp in my carry-on...

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #75 of 166

Quote:
1.Have you played any modern FPS? Any 15 year old that's played CoD knows exactly what C4 looks like and a pipe bomb is just plain obvious

Sorry to break it to you, a lot of folks don't play FPS - video games is not something I'll reference reality to.  I certainly wouldn't have a clue what some people might do to disguise home made bombs.

2.Yes I do! Aside from the specific components the only difference between the two is cable management

Absolutely no mass produced consumer electronics have wiring so poorly managed - whos to say DIY bombs don't have electronic circuits inside. 

3.Don't they train the people who operate these machines? I'm sure the people at the post office didn't think twice before deeming it harmless electronics

I'm sure they were trained well enough that when in doubt, don't act like a hero - just call authorities.

If the only giveaway for a bomb is messy wiring I sure hope no domestic terrorist are reading this

Operators were probably trained to watch out for what appears to be DIY electronics - those tubes through the X ray prolly looked like grenades?

The guy who makes these really needs to learn some cable management though : \

Therein lies the culprit most responsible - this would not pass electrical safety standards, if it was inspected by relevant bodies.

I don't mean to pick on you.  I just mean to high light some of the complications faced by America, by Americans today. 

Sure we can sit behind a computer screen and cry foul.  But if you were the operator of the x-ray scanner, you wouldn't be doing your job if you did not call authorities - imagine it was the other way around...how would you like to know you've got the blood of innocent Americans on your hands, because you took matters in your own hands (hypothetical only).

The situation may not have been perfect, but all in all, I think all did what they were paid to do - and in their honest goodwill and judgement.  Unfortunate, yes.  Necessary today, yes also.  Also note the particular timing of events - emotions may have been involved.

Me, I might've listened for a clock ticking....LOL!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back