Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #8,071 of 12,550
  Well lets just say the P stood for something else. But that's more appropriate anyways :wink:.

Interesting thread. I've never heard of them before. Although I think my journey with CIEMs ends with the Spiral Ear SE5. I might have found a solution to wear them comfortably and without severe pain. I'm using ear lube (also safe with hearing aids) and it seems to be doing the trick. It's strange but my ears really don't sweat at all with silicone and it's very dry and rough on my ears. With acrylic my ears would sweat so it wasn't an issue putting them in and taking them out. With the SE5 it could feel as if my ears are bleeding....

Hey! This here's a PG-13 area. Despite the talk about hookers, pineapple terrorists, and buttcracks. Let's continue to make this a safe and friendly environment....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Whatever happened to those 8.A? 
confused.gif
 You know, the ones that got blown up...err I mean the ones that got their wood cracked...err I mean the ones that you had to send back?
(being kosher is hella hard)

BTW, I happened to read your ear exploits on the 1Plus2 thread yesterday. Aside from morbidly laughing at your rather serious medical ordeal because I'm just such an evil person, I've never had that happen to me with any IEMs. And I've jabbed in some demo CIEMs pretty darned hard.

Sounds like you need some more panda lube for those silicones. It is a more absorbant material so that moisture only goes one way. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #8,072 of 12,550
I was going to bring up the panda lube/lotion, but I didn't want to interfere in what seemed like a semi-serious conversation. I'll just go enjoy some cheese and listen to some Bach or something.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #8,073 of 12,550
1) It's never serious. Nothing's ever serious. Guess what philosophy I subscribe to.
2) It's always the time to bring up the panda lotion. We can never let that fade into obscurity. It's our duty as TMACers, nay, one of our basic tenets, to be forever diligent in spreading the word of the lube. No one else will do the dirty work.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #8,074 of 12,550
It's not possible to have a thread be PG13 and mention Pineapples. Especially not after how Paris Hilton desecrated one :wink:.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154692/the-whore-off

I sold the 8As off. After the ordeal with that everything was good besides the sound :p. Just wasn't worth what I paid IMO. The SE5 is much better regarding sound. Just I ended up having fit issues. So far the lube seems to be helping so crossing my fingers that is the solution.

Regarding demo CIEMs well I don't think that is the same as a full blown CIEM? You mean a universal fit version right? Overall I do think the fit of CIEMs is overrated vs universal fit. But for isolation and potential seal it does have its advantages. But I don't see it superior in terms of comfort to a universal (or not at least to all universals).

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #8,075 of 12,550
  It's not possible to have a thread be PG13 and mention Pineapples. Especially not after how Paris Hilton desecrated one :wink:.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154692/the-whore-off

I sold the 8As off. After the ordeal with that everything was good besides the sound :p. Just wasn't worth what I paid IMO. The SE5 is much better regarding sound. Just I ended up having fit issues. So far the lube seems to be helping so crossing my fingers that is the solution.

Regarding demo CIEMs well I don't think that is the same as a full blown CIEM. You mean a universal fit version right? Overall I do think the fit of CIEMs is overrated vs universal fit. But for Isolation and potential seal it does have its advantages. But I don't see it superior in terms of comfort to a universal (or not at least to all universals).

If I can't talk about pineapples then screw the children. What have they done for me huh.
Strangely arousing. The pineapple of course. I don't care for the blond gremlin.

Wait, no no no, don't cross your fingers when you have lube on your hands. They'll get tied together, and you'll have to amputate them or something.

Well, of course they're not the same. I was just trying to relate to your follies and troubles. That's how much I care. Ask around, I'm a very caring person.
wink.gif

But usually the nozzles are pretty large, larger than most UIEMs. Of course some of the demos I was referring to were of other people's CIEMs where I managed to get a decent fit (it happens more often than not, just usually not for my right ear).

Speaking of custom fit, this had come up in the back of my mind - the bottom comments on here, and this. All perfectly valid concerns raised. Numbers be damned. But the potential for design, and the aesthetics keep me hanging on.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #8,076 of 12,550
Bah I wouldn't put too much concern into those two links you provided. Although I take you are just joking about that anyways :wink:. Better to determine for yourself in the end and find out your own truth. I really don't care if a graph measure flat or not. Ultimately I'll decide with my own ears if I like a sound or not.

Anyways my ears are noticeably different from the average ear so that has to be taken into account regarding comfort. I hear the Fit Ear IEMs have the best comfort of all though so I'm very interested in acquiring a pair one day to test that out. It would be nice to have a CIEM that you could forget about. I think the fact that it seals off the ear and creates pressure is a big part of the issue. While with universals that vent my ears are able to breath with little to no pressure at all. So I could wear them for extended times without issue and potentially forget I'm wearing them.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #8,077 of 12,550

Bah I'd not put too much concern into those two links you provided. Although I take you are just joking about that anyways :wink:

1) It's never serious. Nothing's ever serious. Guess what philosophy I subscribe to.

Looks like you catch on quick :D

But I was mainly referring to the insertion depth/ability-to-adjust-sound-and-comfort-and-preferred-depth-with-tips issue he brought up.

I get the feeling that everyone takes too much heed in the graphs, meant to be used for comparative purposes. Everyone completely forgets about the heavily-researched and insightful analysis of the sciences behind the reproduction he has on the site. The HD800 ring radiator analyisis brought tears to my eyes. It's great to have those sort of things archived and accessible by the community. And it's much more interesting than watching people fight.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #8,078 of 12,550

Looks like you catch on quick :D

But I was mainly referring to the insertion depth/ability-to-adjust-sound-and-comfort-and-preferred-depth-with-tips issue he brought up.

I get the feeling that everyone takes too much heed in the graphs, meant to be used for comparative purposes. Everyone completely forgets about the heavily-researched and insightful analysis of the sciences behind the reproduction he has on the site. The HD800 ring radiator analyisis brought tears to my eyes. It's great to have those sort of things archived and accessible by the community. And it's much more interesting than watching people fight.

Well I would have to agree somewhat with the ability for tips to adjust the sound to your own preference as well as the ability for tips to give you a good seal and comfort. With a CIEM you're limited pretty much on how many ways you can insert it vs a universal which has many tip options which can all alter the sound. Though as I said earlier CIEMs tend to have the advantage in isolation and the seal it provides. Meaning I can walk around the house, even eat my food with them in and not lose a seal. While with universals I'm much more likely to lose the seal. But I can easily re-insert them and fix that while still having more comfort. So it depends on what you're after. If isolation is a must then CIEMs are hard to beat.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #8,079 of 12,550
So it depends on what you're after. If isolation is a must then CIEMs are hard to beat.

I think the ER4 series would be the obvious contender. Never lost a seal even when I would want it to. Beat you. So what's my reward? I'd like some natively grown pineapples and/or soy sauce from your backyard if you don't mind :D

Hopefully we didn't scare the cheese-lover off with our talk about sticking long plastic objects into our ears. I see him on but hiding. Don't be afraid, I'm more than happy to talk about my love for the environment and Adult Swim and all that.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #8,080 of 12,550
  I think the ER4 series woudl be the obvious contender. Never lost a seal even when I would want it to. Beat you. So what's my reward? I'd like some natively grown pineapples and/or soy sauce from your backyard if you don't mind :D

But don't you have to deal with major ear rape with those things? I can't imagine using a triple flange to get a seal :frowning2:. At the same time doesn't the IEM virtually have no sound staging lol? I like the SE5 because it does have a slightly more intimate sound vs my other IEMs but it's in no way closed in and does portray an accurate out of head sound staging. I'm just not into the overly forward IEMs. I like my space :).

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #8,081 of 12,550
  So what's my reward? I'd like some natively grown pineapples and/or soy sauce from your backyard if you don't mind :D

Well, we're fresh out of pineapples, so here's a durian.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #8,082 of 12,550

But don't you have to deal with major ear rape with those things? I can't imagine using a triple flange to get a seal :frowning2:. At the same time doesn't the IEM virtually have no sound staging lol? I like the SE5 because it does have a slightly more intimate sound vs my other IEMs but it's in no way closed in and does portray an accurate out of head sound staging. I'm just not into the overly forward IEMs. I like my space :)

It is partly why they're not in my stable anymore. Just can't take that deep penetration like I used to (hooray, more quotable innuendo!).

It's focused on the width, but the depth pinpoints to each layer in a sense. As if the depth was inversely proportional to the seperation. Imagine the visualization of the stage/presentation to be the shape of an airplane wing. They extend from your side, and each track/layer is one of the propellors that extend into the depth axis. Now take those airplane wings and bend them a tad bit, and squeeze them inwards. That's a rough approximation. It doesn't cover the area in a thee-dimensional respect (i.e. the usual sphere or blob), but seems to introduce a different dimension. The overall area that is covered is still rather smalI though so some of the staging critiques are warranted. Not to mention the somewhat flatter dynamics.

Quote:

Damned yellow fleshy fetuses from out of an undead hedgehog. Don't serve that swivel to me. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #8,083 of 12,550

How about some of Pele's hair :wink:. Take it at your own risk though. This is no joke either. People who've taken rocks from Hawaii have reported horrible things happening to them. Such as sickness, family members dieing, etc.... The equivalent to a cursed lump of coal. To take it further people have actually mailed back these souvenirs they've taken from the island in hopes to stop bad things from happening to them.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #8,084 of 12,550
  How about some of Pele's hair :wink:. Take it at your own risk though. This is no joke either. People who've taken rocks from Hawaii have reported horrible things happening to them. Such as sickness, family members dieing, etc.... The equivalent to a cursed lump of coal. To take it further people have actually mailed back these souvenirs they've taken from the island in hopes to stop bad things from happening to them.

So that's what happened to Eddie Murphy's career. 
I'm sorry I had to make that joke :frowning2:

I've never heard of this before though - sounds awful. It's rather late here so I'm a bit creeped out tbh.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #8,085 of 12,550
  It is partly why they're not in my stable anymore. Just can't take that deep penetration like I used to (hooray, more quotable innuendo!).

It's focused on the width, but the depth pinpoints to each layer in a sense. As if the depth was inversely proportional to the seperation. Imagine the visualization of the stage/presentation to be the shape of an airplane wing. They extend from your side, and each track/layer is one of the propellors that extend into the depth axis. Now take those airplane wings and bend them a tad bit, and squeeze them inwards. That's a rough approximation. It doesn't cover the area in a thee-dimensional respect (i.e. the usual sphere or blob), but seems to introduce a different dimension. The overall area that is covered is still rather smalI though so some of the staging critiques are warranted. Not to mention the somewhat flatter dynamics.

Quote:
Damned yellow fleshy fetuses from out of an undead hedgehog. Don't serve that swivel to me. 

I'm use to sound staging that emulates a true speaker setup. Images from the front of you. Close your eyes and you can picture the band in front of you, not in your head (I'm in the second row, dead center with the band on stage). Where you can pick out each distinct instrument and place where it is coming from in that sound staging. So in terms of realism and accuracy I'm quite spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back