Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #8,058 of 12,550
Yeah, Captain Planet was pretty worthless dreck, and yet I was strangely transfixed by it. The thing with the rings was cool. I was into rocks and gems at the time (we actually have a decent-sized collection of rough specimens and cut stones that we've bought over the years), so maybe that was why. Regardless, even as a young kid I knew the plotlines were stupid, and I was smart enough to know that they were injecting politics into entertainment in an effort to make kids side with their views, which pissed me off even then.

Those damn rings were so cool though. 

As I remember, it was from that dreadful era where they used to put a one minute PSA-type thing ("Don't do drugs!" "Don't talk to strangers!" "Don't buy drapes that don't match the carpet!") at the end of cartoons. A lot of video game franchise cartoons did the same thing (Sonic Sez, anyone?).

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #8,059 of 12,550
  Yeah, Captain Planet was pretty worthless dreck, and yet I was strangely transfixed by it. The thing with the rings was cool. I was into rocks and gems at the time (we actually have a decent-sized collection of rough specimens and cut stones that we've bought over the years), so maybe that was why. Regardless, even as a young kid I knew the plotlines were stupid, and I was smart enough to know that they were injecting politics into entertainment in an effort to make kids side with their views, which pissed me off even then.

Those damn rings were so cool though. 

As I remember, it was from that dreadful era where they used to put a one minute PSA-type thing ("Don't do drugs!" "Don't talk to strangers!" "Don't buy drapes that don't match the carpet!") at the end of cartoons. A lot of video game franchise cartoons did the same thing (Sonic Sez, anyone?).

I remember a few years back, one of my co-workers thought he was just the funniest dude.....so he asked the hot new waitress if her carpet matched the drapes...she looked at him and replied without hesitation, "I have hardwood floors" and walked away from him as his jaw dropped. I was in position to see her hiding a grin as she walked away from him, and it was all I could do not to bust out laughing. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #8,060 of 12,550
This one is for all the tree-huggers out there...

Captain Planet and the Planeteers was originally created by a team led by Ted Turner. By sheer coincidence, this was 1990 - exactly the same time he and Jane Fonda were playing hide the organic zucchini together. Captain Planet was a fairly worthless superhero - he never came around until the Planeteers were in deep hot water, and then he was completely invincible. Which begs the question - if Captain Planet was unbeatable, then why did he always wait until the kids were in trouble? In fact, why mess around with the kids at all?? Typical late 80s/early 90s fluff...

Ah yes, the cartoon that spawned an entire generation of enviro-weenies. I'm glad I was too old to be corrupted by that. :D

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #8,062 of 12,550
Wow, you're really racking up the lines for the compilation, aren't you?

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #8,063 of 12,550
And I completely forgot to mention - Our lovely tds wanted me to give you guys a ghetto callout. Or something.

Anyways yo wassup dawg it's yo homedawg t-to-the-d-to-the-s, peace dawg, SWAG.

But seriously if anyone was worried about him, seems he's doing fine for now.

Wow, you're really racking up the lines for the compilation, aren't you?

I've sold out. It's the sad state of reality. Swedish bank accounts don't just wire money from trees.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #8,064 of 12,550
  And I completely forgot to mention - Our lovely tds wanted me to give you guys a ghetto callout. Or something.

Anyways yo wassup dawg it's yo homedawg t-to-the-d-to-the-s, peace dawg, SWAG.

But seriously if anyone was worried about him, seems he's doing fine for now.

I've sold out. It's the sad state of reality. Swedish bank accounts don't just wire money from trees.

Unless it's a money tree.
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #8,065 of 12,550
But here in Canada the new bills are all polymer anyways.

I have a real horror story of a coworker and their experience with Moneytree. Perhaps one day I'll tell it. I'm sure she won't mind but it is rather long.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #8,067 of 12,550
I'm not really worried about the drapes or the carpet, anyway. I'm more interested how the room is accessorized. I might like to do a room in a pirate theme because I like a great big chest with lots of booty.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #8,069 of 12,550
This thread is now about pirate pearls.

Lee might love this, the cheese-lover probably won't even bat an eyelash - http://www.head-fi.org/t/680984/the-canalworks-discussion-thread

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #8,070 of 12,550
  This thread is now about pirate pearls.

Lee might love this, the cheese-lover probably won't even bat an eyelash - http://www.head-fi.org/t/680984/the-canalworks-discussion-thread

Well lets just say the P stood for something else. But that's more appropriate anyways :wink:.

Interesting thread. I've never heard of them before. Although I think my journey with CIEMs ends with the Spiral Ear SE5. I might have found a solution to wear them comfortably and without severe pain. I'm using ear lube (also safe with hearing aids) and it seems to be doing the trick. It's strange but my ears really don't sweat at all with silicone and it's very dry and rough on my ears. With acrylic my ears would sweat so it wasn't an issue putting them in and taking them out. With the SE5 it could feel as if my ears are bleeding....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back