Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Nov 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #738 of 1,185
They're not. To my ears, the Opus#2 sounds more balanced and leaner than my previous DP-X1A, and Aune M1s. Opus#2 just sounds technically better, being more transparent, and resolving. It has a higher level of details, and resolution, with the tone having more emphasis on clarity than warmth. It's a relatively uncoloured reference DAP that is also smooth, sounding less harsh in the top-end than DP-X1A, and M1s. The DP-X1A has a slightly more bump in mid, or upper bass which makes it sound less airy in the treble/upper-mid frequency. It does have a good sparkle, however it sounded less natural IMO. The M1s has more sub-bass rumble, but it sometimes sounded a bit peaky in the upper region.Soundstage, the Opus#2 is the largest of them all. Each notes have a higher (lifelike) definition, and a very good separation, plus positioing (width, and depth). The tone is slightly less warm than most DAPs, less intimate, and emotional; instead more neutral (with excellent high-resolution, and details).

I'm still curious though how the Opus#2 compare with WM1A in sound. Tried searching this thread, but only found a few useful comparisons.
I think that is a pretty fair description of the Opus #2. It is my reference player if I had a wish it would be for more power. It defaults to high gain but even that it requires a lot of volume for some of my headphones.

Nov 8, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #740 of 1,185
I think #2 is above 1z when it comes to the organic nature of its sound, driving power, soundstage width and dynamics. 1Z is extremely good, #2 is just the next level, at least if you ask me. I need more time to give a more complex opinion.

How long have you had 1Z, George? And, are you using balanced 4.4mm output? DSP effects on or off?

Nov 8, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #741 of 1,185
I use medium gain for BA IEMs, and high gain for Dita Dream. Both around 90-100 volume. It retains a good imaging of each song notes when I scale the volume higher.

Nov 8, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #742 of 1,185
I use medium gain for BA IEMs, and high gain for Dita Dream. Both around 90-100 volume. It retains a good imaging of each song notes when I scale the volume higher.
It drivers BA quite well, but Dita maybe harder to drive. I don't get good results driving cans out of DAPs. Mojo is ok. DAPs are for driving iems.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #743 of 1,185
How long have you had 1Z, George? And, are you using balanced 4.4mm output? DSP effects on or off?

Nothing engaged. 1Z is not mine and I don't have a demo unit, but I have access to a unit to listen to. Everything on default with both units. 1Z impresses with its musicality and smooth sound, excellent note definition and bass quality, but #2 gets the organic sound part better, having a better treble extension along with more dynamics to those old ears. 1Z has excellent depth of soundstage, but #2 goes better in being precise while being deep. 1z is quite deep, already tho. I won't be unfair to 1Z, and it is here more for comparisons since I don't plan to review it unless I have a unit for unlimited time to be able to properly asses its sound, as I have to return this one.

All in all, 1Z is quite a nice DAP, but #2 impresses more with its dynamics, it is almost as if 1Z was trying to be more engaging by its musicality alone, rather than dynamics, where #2 is excellently dynamic, when something needs to be far louder and come through with more power, #2 knows how to articulate it, while 1Z tried to keep its musicality at all times rather than express a loud sound with more ethced expression. If you try Cold War Kids - Saint John, you'll see that #2 gets the dynamics perfectly, while 1z will smooth some things out a bit much, especially the strident cymbal crashes at the beginning.

Also sorry, but no. No 4.4 testing with it, only 3.5 SE vs 3.5 SE.

DKUR9Tk.png

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #745 of 1,185
Sorry, I'm not burrying 1Z, but #2 is still more of my choice for metal music :darthsmile:

#2 is great, just like LPG and DX200 and Plenue 2, love them all. But 1Z from balanced port with dsp effects on is something else. You need to spend more then 5min with it, and definitely try balanced out with dsp on - it will be night and day difference from what you hear in SE with effects off.

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #746 of 1,185
Just purchased an Opus #2 which is coming tomorrow. Anyone side-load Roon and use it as a local zone? Will all sideloaded apps be re sampled by the android mixer to 48/16 (i.e Tidal, Spotify, Roon etc.)?

I'm awaiting my custom A12s which have been in the "buffing complete" stage for a few days, and I have purchased overnight shipping so hoping I get them before the weekend.

Will be using Opus #2 > ALO Ref 8 > A12 w/m15 per Pinky and some others suggestions. Hoping it's an enjoyable travel / commuting setup. Will post impressions!

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #747 of 1,185
Opus #2 -> Cypher Lab Trio portable tube amp -> IFi IEmatch -> Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS
This above combo really sounds damn awesome!!!
How do you like the AK240 vs the Opus #2? The AK240 can be had these days for about half the price (used) of a new Opus #2. Both are on my short list.

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #748 of 1,185
Just purchased an Opus #2 which is coming tomorrow. Anyone side-load Roon and use it as a local zone? Will all sideloaded apps be re sampled by the android mixer to 48/16 (i.e Tidal, Spotify, Roon etc.)?

I'm awaiting my custom A12s which have been in the "buffing complete" stage for a few days, and I have purchased overnight shipping so hoping I get them before the weekend.

Will be using Opus #2 > ALO Ref 8 > A12 w/m15 per Pinky and some others suggestions. Hoping it's an enjoyable travel / commuting setup. Will post impressions!
Hey, congrats! Hope you'll enjoy them (for long). When it arrives, could you please compare the sound of the original FW (1.0) before update, with the one after (FW 1.0.2)? If you're planning on updating the Opus#2 that is. I heard someone said that the sound is different, just curious. Thanks! :)

Excited to see your first impression too! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #749 of 1,185
Having just listened with WM1A, it's amazing how transparent, and spacious the OPUS#2 is in comparison. They both have good resolution, and details. But I think the OPUS#2 sounds slightly leaner, with more emphasis on clean presentation, and clarity. The 1A meanwhile is slightly warmer, and more powerful. Really like them both. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back