Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Oct 23, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #721 of 1,185
does opus#2 can use external DAC?

It can be used as an external DAC from a PC / MAC, and I ***think*** that it will be able to output USB data to a device in a future update, but I'm not sure if it is able to right now. Some apps might enable this, if you connect it to an external USB DAC via a USB OTG cable, but given its sound and general qualities, I think you were asking whether it works as an external DAC, the answer to which is yes :darthsmile:

Can someone tell me how to get into android mode so I can download and install apps like spotify and tidal?

There isn't an Android mode.

You download the apps to your PC via APK Pure or APK Mirror or even Play Store by downloading the APK files, you copy them to the mSD card or the internal memory, then you go to settings -> streaming, click on the plus button and it will help you install (sideload) any apps you need. Streaming works flawlessly for me actually, just a few more steps to take :smile_phones:

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #722 of 1,185
It can be used as an external DAC from a PC / MAC, and I ***think*** that it will be able to output USB data to a device in a future update, but I'm not sure if it is able to right now. Some apps might enable this, if you connect it to an external USB DAC via a USB OTG cable, but given its sound and general qualities, I think you were asking whether it works as an external DAC, the answer to which is yes :darthsmile:

There isn't an Android mode.

You download the apps to your PC via APK Pure or APK Mirror or even Play Store by downloading the APK files, you copy them to the mSD card or the internal memory, then you go to settings -> streaming, click on the plus button and it will help you install (sideload) any apps you need. Streaming works flawlessly for me actually, just a few more steps to take :smile_phones:

I got told the USB is not able to output an audio signal to an external DAC unfortunately :frowning2:

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #724 of 1,185
Oh...

I am not sure why I was under the opposite impression, maybe I got my info mixed up.

Opus #3 firmware update allowed this, and I asked if the same was coming for the Opus #2 and they said that it won't and is not possible with the #2 :frowning2:

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #725 of 1,185
Opus #3 firmware update allowed this, and I asked if the same was coming for the Opus #2 and they said that it won't and is not possible with the #2 :frowning2:

Oh, that's right!

I was actually using Opus #3 a lot along Opus #2 and this might be why I thought that both would allow for this feature!

Sad thing it isn't able to.

The bright side though, is that Opus #2 wouldn't really need to be used as a transport, since it sounds extremely good, there's little chance anybody would want to use an external DAC/AMP with it, and it can really be used as a Top Of The Line DAP! :darthsmile:

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #726 of 1,185
Thanks for the info everyone. The Opus #2 seems to be the perfect upgrade DAP for many. :) I wonder how it sounds, compared to the likes of DP-X1, or Aune M1s? Which all use Sabre

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #727 of 1,185
Thanks for the info everyone. The Opus #2 seems to be the perfect upgrade DAP for many. :) I wonder how it sounds, compared to the likes of DP-X1, or Aune M1s? Which all use Sabre

I think that X7mkii and DX200 also use Sabre DACs, but the signatures between them and Opus #2 are also quite different.

The chip itself doesn't give a sound of its own, unless you're using it as a line out.

The whole DAP design will have a specific sound.

From all the DAPs I heard, Opus #2 has a magical organic sound about it, something about the way it renders music very musical and smooth makes it a lovely listen.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #728 of 1,185
Such a shame that USB out won’t be possible through firmware upgrades, but the dap itself already sounds terrific, will refrain from investing on more DACs:gs1000smile:

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #731 of 1,185
How do you know if the sound differs from FW 1.0, to 1.0.2? Has anyone test this out? But without upgrading the FW, you can't install Spotify, is this true?

Also how do you mass select music files to add to playlist? I wanted to add a whole folder to a playlist, but can't. Tried creating an m3u file using VLC, and pasting it into Playlists folder of Opus#2, restart, but still not working.

edit: I can put them all into one folder, and play the whole folder then. But this is not a good solution.

The Opus#2 has a very detailed, high-resolution sound. Amazing player. Simple to use. A bit hefty, but I like it. :) Pretty pleased with the sound so far.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #732 of 1,185
Pressing the next, previous, play button on the sides after the screen turns off influences the Spotify music player, even though you're currently playing with the Opus player application. I tried force-stopping Spotify but still the same, it turns back on when I press the side button after the screen turns off. The inconvenient solution to this I found was to turn the screen on, and then press the side button, or screen to influence the Opus music player next, previous, play function. Or uninstall the Spotify. Does anyone else has this issue? FW is the latest 1.0.2. Also, does anyone hear a sound difference between the old FW (1.0), and the new one (1.0.2)?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #734 of 1,185
Not all Sabres are the same. Just know that Opus#2 sounds. No impressions man?
They're not. To my ears, the Opus#2 sounds more balanced and leaner than my previous DP-X1A, and Aune M1s. Opus#2 just sounds technically better, being more transparent, and resolving. It has a higher level of details, and resolution, with the tone having more emphasis on clarity than warmth. It's a relatively uncoloured reference DAP that is also smooth, sounding less harsh in the top-end than DP-X1A, and M1s. The DP-X1A has a slightly more bump in mid, or upper bass which makes it sound less airy in the treble/upper-mid frequency. It does have a good sparkle, however it sounded less natural IMO. The M1s has more sub-bass rumble, but it sometimes sounded a bit peaky in the upper region.Soundstage, the Opus#2 is the largest of them all. Each notes have a higher (lifelike) definition, and a very good separation, plus positioing (width, and depth). The tone is slightly less warm than most DAPs, less intimate, and emotional; instead more neutral (with excellent high-resolution, and details).

I'm still curious though how the Opus#2 compare with WM1A in sound. Tried searching this thread, but only found a few useful comparisons.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #735 of 1,185
They're not. To my ears, the Opus#2 sounds more balanced and leaner than my previous DP-X1A, and Aune M1s. Opus#2 just sounds technically better, being more transparent, and resolving. It has a higher level of details, and resolution, with the tone having more emphasis on clarity than warmth. It's a relatively uncoloured reference DAP that is also smooth, sounding less harsh in the top-end than DP-X1A, and M1s. The DP-X1A has a slightly more bump in mid, or upper bass which makes it sound less airy in the treble/upper-mid frequency. It does have a good sparkle, however it sounded less natural IMO. The M1s has more sub-bass rumble, but it sometimes sounded a bit peaky in the upper region.Soundstage, the Opus#2 is the largest of them all. Each notes have a higher (lifelike) definition, and a very good separation, plus positioing (width, and depth). The tone is slightly less warm than most DAPs, less intimate, and emotional; instead more neutral (with excellent high-resolution, and details).

I'm still curious though how the Opus#2 compare with WM1A in sound. Tried searching this thread, but only found a few useful comparisons.

I might be able to give some insight over the comparison with 1Z when I write about #2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back