thebit Opus#1S DAP impressions
Jul 12, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #481 of 945
I've made several recommendations stating that for a budget of 200$, there are superior sounding daps over the R3 -- Opus#1 (1st gen) is one, another would be an AK Jr.

I had so so expectations pledging for it, but hey as advertised, it's a very small dap. It's foolish to buy daps having high expectations on sound without having many proper reviewers giving feedback. Hawaiibadboy was their cheerleader early on, and even still, he really didn't that say much about sq. If you are looking for good sq, there are lots of choices that are in the Opus#1s price range. If you're feeling bold, there's some recommendations in the chi-fi dap thread closer to 200$
I pay little attention to reviewers. Everyone seems to have a price and these guys sell out cheap. I've decided to avoid Chinese made products. Lots of sizzle but no steak.

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #482 of 945
Speaking as a reviewer, while I understand the concern, it is a pretty broad brush to paint all of us into the picture as sell-outs. Some of us work hard to make sure what we say is honest and helpful to others.

Your statement is the same as me saying I disregard all comments from people from Ontario as the entire lot of them are worthless.

Jul 13, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #483 of 945
This comment was in reference to the Hiby R3, which I have since sold. The many reviews of this device touted it as the next great DAP. It had capabilities and sound far exceeding it's relatively cheap price. As it turns out I found the device to have clunky software. It was slow and inaccurate when loading but most importantly it had really awful sound. It sounded worse than an old Fiio x1 I tried a couple of years back and it was half the price of the Hiby. The reviewers were as one in their praise, well they were either deaf or paid. If a reviewer receives compensation of any kind, be it cash or freebies then they can not give an unbiased review. As for the people who bought the Hiby R3 and are OK with it, well that's up to them. The Opus 1s that this thread is about is, in my opinions very fine product. Due to the limited availability of reasonably priced devices in my country I bought this based on specs. I got it from a dealer that had a good return policy and I avoided reading any reviews and decided for myself. As for disregarding opinions from people from Ontario I don't blame you, we tend to tell it like it is.

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #484 of 945
Personally i trust DAP reviews more than iem reviews. For Iems and headphones, you're better off reading many different people's opinions in the gear's own thread. It's always best if you can try it out yourself with your own gear.

About the R3 or just Daps in general, having heard many sources and compared my views with others, I found that a lot of times, people don't consider the gear a reviewer is using or the gear they use. For example, the perceived difference between one Dap and another may be very subtle to a reviewer but immediately noticeable to another simply because that reviewer is using more revealing gear.

Gear matching also plays a part. A reviewer who uses a warm DAP may have a sibilant headphone but the DAP masks it in normal use. However, when the reviewer uses a neutral DAP, the sibilance of the headphone is revealed and most of the time, the blame will be put on the DAP being sibilant instead of the headphone being sibilant.

Just my 2c

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #485 of 945
Personally i trust DAP reviews more than iem reviews. For Iems and headphones, you're better off reading many different people's opinions in the gear's own thread. It's always best if you can try it out yourself with your own gear.

About the R3 or just Daps in general, having heard many sources and compared my views with others, I found that a lot of times, people don't consider the gear a reviewer is using or the gear they use. For example, the perceived difference between one Dap and another may be very subtle to a reviewer but immediately noticeable to another simply because that reviewer is using more revealing gear.

Gear matching also plays a part. A reviewer who uses a warm DAP may have a sibilant headphone but the DAP masks it in normal use. However, when the reviewer uses a neutral DAP, the sibilance of the headphone is revealed and most of the time, the blame will be put on the DAP being sibilant instead of the headphone being sibilant.

Just my 2c

Well-said. I just made a similar point in the Astell&Kern SE100 thread. :D

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #487 of 945
Jul 16, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #489 of 945
I'm having a blast with it.
Had the luck to try it out along with the Cayin N8 :D

20180716_170113.jpg

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #490 of 945
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #491 of 945
Incredible!
N8 vs SP1000
Going from the N8 to the SP1000 reveals just how stunningly spacious the N8 sounds. The SP1000 sounds closed in compared to the N8. The SP1000 does have this unique holographic quality though. Instrument separation wise the N8 edges out the SP1000 simply due to the sheer size of its soundstage even though the SP1000 is more holographic.

The SP1000 is thinner sounding yet despite that the N8 exhibits better low end control. From the lower mids onwards SP1000 is ever so slightly clearer but its most noticeable at the lower mids. N8 mids are smooth yet meticulously detailed, reminiscent of R2R DAC designs. The SP 1000 on the other hand is more aggressively detailed and drier. I'd say the mids on the N8 are more natural in comparison to the more digital sounding SP1000. The SP 1000 has a touch more treble sparkle.

Despite all this I wouldn't really call the N8 a warm Dap. Neutral with a very slight warm tilt suits it better.

Overall, I'd prefer the N8 over the SP1000. The soundstage is simply unmatched in the portable source market.

Kudos to Cayin :beerchug:
This is a stunning summit-fi product.
The SE 100 sounds 80% like the SP1000 but with a less aggressive treble imo. Low end extension seems better too. It doesn't have the SP1000's holographic sound though. Guess A&K want to save their secret sauce for their TOTL Dap

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #493 of 945
I am thinking about purchasing the Opus, but you mentioned the AK jr. Does it drive fuil sized over ear phones.
I have the Sony WH-1000x m2 as well as the Focal Spirit Pro
The price in Canada is nasty as well as the exchange rate
If you are talking about the Opus it is available at Amazon.ca for 499 and at Electronics for Less for 529 but they price match and discount another 5% so 476. A reasonable price for Canada. Also you are dealing in country so if any problems you have access to a local retailer. Ever try getting something serviced out of country?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back