thebit Opus#1S DAP impressions
Feb 15, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #151 of 945
Thanks for the review.

My purple Opus #1S has landed today.
Customs inflated the price by a whooping 103€, but I got a VERY price initially, so it's still very reasonable in the end.
Singapore version came with the leather case.

Coming week-end will be a feast, Opus #1S versus little brother Opus #1 and big bad LG V20 !

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #152 of 945
Nice review, twister6. It looks like in the mid-tier DAP price range of around $400, the N5ii & the Opus #1s are the best in SQ. I'm looking to upgrade from a Fiio X3ii. I don't care about streaming, wi-fi, bluetooth, or apps. I just want a dedicated player. Is it a big jump in SQ to go from an X3ii to either an N5ii or Opus #1s? - Are there any other options I should consider?

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #153 of 945
Nice review, twister6. It looks like in the mid-tier DAP price range of around $400, the N5ii & the Opus #1s are the best in SQ. I'm looking to upgrade from a Fiio X3ii. I don't care about streaming, wi-fi, bluetooth, or apps. I just want a dedicated player. Is it a big jump in SQ to go from an X3ii to either an N5ii or Opus #1s? - Are there any other options I should consider?

Shanling M3S

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #154 of 945

I would second a look at the Shanling M3s. I have both and will add a comparison in my review. My computer decided to "take a few days off," so I am now behind. I do like the #1S, but lean towards the M3s...I like the added versatility of the Shanling, and the more portable aspect. The #1S is REALLY nice, but I prefer the M3s; especially since my now go to is the Opus#2...

Both are very good but to me, the savings of cost, rate the Shanling a bit above the #1S...

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #155 of 945
I would second a look at the Shanling M3s. I have both and will add a comparison in my review. My computer decided to "take a few days off," so I am now behind. I do like the #1S, but lean towards the M3s...I like the added versatility of the Shanling, and the more portable aspect. The #1S is REALLY nice, but I prefer the M3s; especially since my now go to is the Opus#2...

Both are very good but to me, the savings of cost, rate the Shanling a bit above the #1S...

How about headphone output? - Which gives more juice between the 3 (N5ii/1S/M3)? - I would like to use this player with my 6xx's. I can use my X3ii with them, but more drivability would be nice. I like fast transient attack, separation and punch. I listen to alot of metal (NWBHM/power/symphonic/etc.), slick pop, and trance type stuff. - One thing that kinda turns me off on the M3, is that it doesn't have a dedicated line out. I don't know if that matters much on this particular unit. EDIT: Don't know if the unbalanced out can be set to line out. Since I'd mainly use this around the house, I'd like more power over the consideration of form factor.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #156 of 945
How about headphone output? - Which gives more juice between the 3 (N5ii/1S/M3)? - I would like to use this player with my 6xx's. I can use my X3ii with them, but more drivability would be nice. I like fast transient attack, separation and punch. I listen to alot of metal (NWBHM/power/symphonic/etc.), slick pop, and trance type stuff. - One thing that kinda turns me off on the M3, is that it doesn't have a dedicated line out. I don't know if that matters much on this particular unit. EDIT: Don't know if the unbalanced out can be set to line out. Since I'd mainly use this around the house, I'd like more power over the consideration of form factor.

Aaahhh. I will have to try that later, I have Pinky's HD600's, on hand and will report back later tonight. My initial thought is that the M3s is easier to drive headphones, but will put in a dedicated session, later.

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #157 of 945
Aaahhh. I will have to try that later, I have Pinky's HD600's, on hand and will report back later tonight. My initial thought is that the M3s is easier to drive headphones, but will put in a dedicated session, later.

Thanks. Please do advise...

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #158 of 945
I am not at home but...both of the units will drive the HD650. They are very close in their ability to drive the HD6XX.

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #159 of 945
3 days of head-to-head testing of Opus #1 versus Opus #1S versus LG V20 and here come the results:

Opus #1S is still very much an Opus #1 (identical form factor, identical UI beside the automatic balanced input detection on #1S).
Output is 5-10% better on Opus #1S depending on the headphones. Not night and day, but it may help with 64+ ohm headphones.

Soundwise, this is a bit surprising: Opus #1 and Opus #1S share extremely similar bass (tight, good slam) and treble (extended but a bit too dry to my taste).
To me, the only thing that actually changed are the mids:

Opus #1 mids are neither forward or backwards, but rather clear and well separated, which increases soundstage depth and makes Opus #1 and #2 very spacious sounding (both in width and depth). This helps many headphones with limited soundstage shine (a true delight with Kennerton Valis).

Opus #1S mids are a big departure in my opinion, they sound closer, more intimate (obvious with male vocals and lower guitar register). While this gives a more dynamic/lively sound, this decreases soundstage depth a lot. While most people won't mind, to me it makes Opus #1S much less impressive in terms of soundstage overall, because this is a much more common signature (= soundstage wider than deep), that can be found in many DAPs nowadays.

In terms of pairing with my gear:

1) Rose Cappuccinos MK2 (with Nobunage SPC cable and Spiral Dot L tips): pairing with LG V20 was already better than with Opus #1 due to the smoother V20 treble countering the bright Cappuccino treble. With Opus #1S, the Capuccinos lost a lot of air in the mids, sounding more intimate, but the treble still sound very bright compared with V20.

2) Kennerton Valis (with CustomCans copper balanced cable): pairing with Opus #1 was epic, because the big Opus soudnstage helped getting a good separation on the Valis and the bass of Opus #1 helped the moderate Vali bass getting some thump. With Opus #1S, Valis sound smaller, more intimate, not really my cup of tea.

-A&K T8iE (with iBasso CB2 mixed copper/silver balanced cable and Spiral Dot L tips): good pairing with Opus #1 despite the mid-bass hump, smooth A&K treble counter the bright Opus treble well for a natural result. With Opus #1S, things gets much livelier if you appreciate the mid-bass hump extending slightly into the mids (fortunately Opus #1 bass is tight and fast so things don't get too messy). Fun signature with Opus #1, small club sound.

-Fidue Sirius (with stock balanced cable and Spiral Dot L tips): pairing with Opus #1 was good but not great, because big soundstage plus big soundstage = huge soundstage, which made listening less dynamic and flatter (some people may really like this, I don't). With Opus #1S, no such thing, mids suddenly are ALIVE with the Sirius, guitar slams, bass slams hard and vocals finally gets close. Very enjoyable experience, the only pairing that I truely appreciate more with Opus #1S !

Conclusion: to me, Opus #1S is not an upgrade, it's really a sidegrade for people that find Opus #1 mids a bit thin (= well separated and airy). Opus #1S mids are more intimate, which which makes the overall signature livelier, at the expense of soundstage depth. I wish they could have smoothed the treble a bit (changing the digital filter of the dac could help).

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #161 of 945
And what difference between Opus 1s and Opus 2? Does the Opus 2 sound more dinamic, natural, large soundstage etc?
Don't have Opus #2 right now, I had it on loan for a while 6 months ago, and it sounded very close to Opus #1, with a bit more details in the mids, but not enough at the time for me to pay 4 times the price of Opus #1 (price in EU: 1500€ at best). So no, Opus #1S is more dynamic if I remember correctly, while soundstage is on Opus #2 side.
Still looking for an Opus #2 at a lower price since then, but people are very greedy in the classified: 900€ for a scratched unit, more than 1000€ for a good unit. Rarity I guess...

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #162 of 945

I am not at home but...both of the units will drive the HD650. They are very close in their ability to drive the HD6XX.

How do the M3s & #1S compare, sonically?

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #163 of 945
How do the M3s & #1S compare, sonically?

To MY ears, the Shanling sounds a bit warmer, richer and having a more full sound. That said, the detail representation of the Opus, is well...typical Opus. The #2 has replaced my Shanling M5 as my reference point for that reason. The amount of detail on the #1s is impressive, and helps provide a fairly fun sounding DAP. It is still a bit thin for my tastes, though. The #2, fills that thinner sound quite nicely, though.

As for the HD6xx (HD600 for me), the Shanling provided a better sound. It was easier to drive the 600's through the M3s, than the #1S. I found on the Opus, I had to raise the volume by about 20 numbers (70 to 90), to get any sort of decent sound. Even then, it had a more thin sound than the warm, rich sound from the M3s. The M3s had no problem what-so-ever driving the HD600's. I did have to raise the volume about 10 (from 30 to 40ish...) to provide an equivalent sound volume-wise. This was in no way doing any volume matching between the two DAP's, this was only going from how I typically run any of my IEM's/cans on each DAP. Take that as you will, but I do believe this is valid, since I had to raise the volume on both in order to drive the 600's adequately, and to what I would call a volume equivalent to my normal listening.

Hope this helps.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #164 of 945
And what difference between Opus 1s and Opus 2? Does the Opus 2 sound more dinamic, natural, large soundstage etc?

Yes, all of the above, to me. Sound stage is close, but still wider on the #2. Just a fabulous sound.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #165 of 945
To MY ears, the Shanling sounds a bit warmer, richer and having a more full sound. That said, the detail representation of the Opus, is well...typical Opus. The #2 has replaced my Shanling M5 as my reference point for that reason. The amount of detail on the #1s is impressive, and helps provide a fairly fun sounding DAP. It is still a bit thin for my tastes, though. The #2, fills that thinner sound quite nicely, though.

As for the HD6xx (HD600 for me), the Shanling provided a better sound. It was easier to drive the 600's through the M3s, than the #1S. I found on the Opus, I had to raise the volume by about 20 numbers (70 to 90), to get any sort of decent sound. Even then, it had a more thin sound than the warm, rich sound from the M3s. The M3s had no problem what-so-ever driving the HD600's. I did have to raise the volume about 10 (from 30 to 40ish...) to provide an equivalent sound volume-wise. This was in no way doing any volume matching between the two DAP's, this was only going from how I typically run any of my IEM's/cans on each DAP. Take that as you will, but I do believe this is valid, since I had to raise the volume on both in order to drive the 600's adequately, and to what I would call a volume equivalent to my normal listening.

Hope this helps.

Perfect. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back