thebit Opus#1S DAP impressions
Mar 1, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #181 of 945
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #183 of 945
I'm digging on the Copper. Though Black is also really nice.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #185 of 945
I had the weirdest experience this week.

With a decent balanced cable, my AK T8iE now sounds nearly identical on Opus #1 and Opus #1S, beside the very slightly more forward upper mids making for better dynamics.
Difference is so much more obvious with Kennerton Valis and Fidue Sirius.

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #187 of 945
my take on #1S

I see you like your Metal. :) - Great review and closeup of the unit. It's VERY good looking, and love the no frills/clean UI. I need to audition this with the M3s. Based on the comparisons here, the M3s might have the sound signature I prefer, but I can't know until I try both with my HP lineup.

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #191 of 945
Has anyone played with the balanced line out on this player yet?

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #192 of 945
Has anyone played with the balanced line out on this player yet?

Yes, I have matched with both my iBasso PB3 and the Aune B1S. I found using the Aune was easier, more fine volume control. Using the iBasso, I didn’t have as much fine volume adjustment. Both amps were tried on high and low gain, with tha same result.

Both were adequate, with very good sound, but I found more adjustability using Coax out in both amps mentioned.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #193 of 945
I would second a look at the Shanling M3s. I have both and will add a comparison in my review. My computer decided to "take a few days off," so I am now behind. I do like the #1S, but lean towards the M3s...I like the added versatility of the Shanling, and the more portable aspect. The #1S is REALLY nice, but I prefer the M3s; especially since my now go to is the Opus#2...

Both are very good but to me, the savings of cost, rate the Shanling a bit above the #1S...

I'll play devil's advocate to @ngoshawk having borrowed the Opus #1s from him for review and eventually deciding to purchase it when I already owned the Shanling M3s.

The Shanling isn't much smaller form factor than the #1s, just different. The M3s is narrower and a bit thinner but stands taller than the #1s. For pocket carry, the Cayin N3 or Shanling's own M1 are better options as the M3s is still a good bit larger than either.

The Dual micro-SD card slots of the #1s are a welcome addition for me as I tend to use 2 cards and once that option started hitting the market, I don't know how I lived without it until then. If something as inexpensive as the X-duo X3 can do dual slots, why did Shanling not do it on the TOTL model?

The other thing I don't see anywhere in @ngoshawk 's comments is that the sound is better on the M3s. Put simply, it isn't. The #1s has a bigger soundstage, a lower noise floor, and power to spare compared to the M3s. I like the m3s but sound wise, it is unremarkable when compared to my Cayin N3 which uses a single AK4490 instead of the dual arrangement of the M3s. The Opus #1s sports a bigger, more engaging sound. If you want dead nuts reference, the M3s may be more to your liking, if you want something to just sit and listen to all day and enjoy, the #1s has it in spades.

I bought the #1s specifically to pair with the Norne Vorpal and Brainwavz b400 for office use, and I can't see any of those components needing replacement anytime soon. Ngoshawk has the #2 and I can see why you wouldn't keep both the #2 and the #1s since they have an awful lot in common and the #2 steps up from the #1s, so I think his view of the two Daps in question (#1s and M3s) is influenced by that rather than being totally objective in just comparing the merits of the two. I'd bet if he didn't have the #2 in his stable, his thoughts would shift in favor of the #1s.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #194 of 945
I'll play devil's advocate to @ngoshawk having borrowed the Opus #1s from him for review and eventually deciding to purchase it when I already owned the Shanling M3s.

The Shanling isn't much smaller form factor than the #1s, just different. The M3s is narrower and a bit thinner but stands taller than the #1s. For pocket carry, the Cayin N3 or Shanling's own M1 are better options as the M3s is still a good bit larger than either.

The Dual micro-SD card slots of the #1s are a welcome addition for me as I tend to use 2 cards and once that option started hitting the market, I don't know how I lived without it until then. If something as inexpensive as the X-duo X3 can do dual slots, why did Shanling not do it on the TOTL model?

The other thing I don't see anywhere in @ngoshawk 's comments is that the sound is better on the M3s. Put simply, it isn't. The #1s has a bigger soundstage, a lower noise floor, and power to spare compared to the M3s. I like the m3s but sound wise, it is unremarkable when compared to my Cayin N3 which uses a single AK4490 instead of the dual arrangement of the M3s. The Opus #1s sports a bigger, more engaging sound. If you want dead nuts reference, the M3s may be more to your liking, if you want something to just sit and listen to all day and enjoy, the #1s has it in spades.

I bought the #1s specifically to pair with the Norne Vorpal and Brainwavz b400 for office use, and I can't see any of those components needing replacement anytime soon. Ngoshawk has the #2 and I can see why you wouldn't keep both the #2 and the #1s since they have an awful lot in common and the #2 steps up from the #1s, so I think his view of the two Daps in question (#1s and M3s) is influenced by that rather than being totally objective in just comparing the merits of the two. I'd bet if he didn't have the #2 in his stable, his thoughts would shift in favor of the #1s.

Will brings up some valid points. The #1s IS good, and for a simple straightforward DAP, without the frills, it is really hard to beat. I said as much in my review, and do recommend a long listen. It is good, very good. And, when talking about sound, hard to beat. No, it doesn't have the bells and whistles of other DAP's in this price range, but as I stated thebit seemed to put their $ into the sound. And I very much approve.

I still hold that I like the sound signature of the M3s more. For MY listening pleasure, I prefer the Shanling sound at that price. And it took something of the Opus#2 nature to displace my M5 as my reference DAP. That says a lot right there. The #2 is simply put, superb and worthy of being called a TOTL DAP, a flagship. It deserves that moniker without reservation. But for me, up until then the M5 was my TOTL. Take that as you may, I do not have the sheer number of DAPs that other have or have heard. My sample is still fairly small, but does include DAPS from most major manufacturers from FiiO to Cayin to Shanling & thebit. So a fair representation, I believe.

As for whether I would have liked the #1s more, had I not had/heard the #2 first? Well, I respectfully disagree. The #1s to me sounds too dry and analytical. I have no dedicated reasoning for this other than that is the way my ears hear it. I could of course be completely off, but do specify that due to my hearing loss I try to always state that this is what I hear, and your hearing may differ. The Shanling "house sound" has me, I'm smitten with it. But my go to (when not on the fly with the M3s) is the Opus#2, plain and simple it is stellar.

All that said, I do suggest everyone still with us take a long hard look at the #1s, it is good, VERY good. It does cost more than the others in its bracket, and comes with fewer features; but for sound qualities alone it is worth a good listen. You would be hard pressed to beat it on sound qualities alone. Thanks @Wiljen for proposing this discourse, I do believe it is a healthy part of Head-Fi, which is needed. Now back to the #2/Cascade combo for more "testing"!

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #195 of 945
My review on Opus #1s is ready now!

Warning:- Lots Of Photos -

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/03/opus-1s-vivid-dynamic-strong.html

Audiophile_Heaven_TheBit_Opus_%25231s_1s_review_83.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back