thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jul 5, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #3,827 of 4,190
Hello fellow head-fiers! I've recently gotten myself an opus 1 metal, however I've tried to connect my ifi nano through USB but to no avail. Does opus 1 support USB out?

AFAIK no. Iirc it does have optical out through the 3.5mm output though.

Jul 6, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #3,829 of 4,190
It's *possible* MusicTeck (in the US) may have them available: https://shop.musicteck.com. Also try searching Mitre cases on ebay for them, I believe they supplied the case for the Opus#1.

Thanks, I was using a leather punch for the buttons in the case and my eyes must not be calibrated because I was way off.

Musicteck has a lot of #1S cases which should be the same dimensionally right? I read through the OPUS #1S specs and it has a slightly higher volume ceiling and a better scree, anything else I'm missing?

I may pick up a blue case for my #1 metal, should look pretty good as long as I keep the leather punch away from it ...

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #3,831 of 4,190
So does no one have any advice about cue sheets? I've been continuing to look around and I'm stumped...i like the sound of this player so much I'm seriously considering splitting up about 200gb with of flac files

I feel your pain, although I don't use them myself (I can't see the attraction - other than the fact that you have so many single-file albums). Maybe you can tell me why you like them ?

I much prefer the 'one file per song, one folder per album, all artists have their own folder', and so on. Once you get the system going that works for you then it's easier to maintain.

This player is definitely worth it though. The gapless playback works flawlessly for me, - and it needs to with a lot of my music (especially prog) having no gaps between tracks.

FWIW I use 'Medieval Cue-splitter' if I need to separate, and only use track number/track name as the filenames.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,832 of 4,190
Thanks, I was using a leather punch for the buttons in the case and my eyes must not be calibrated because I was way off.

Musicteck has a lot of #1S cases which should be the same dimensionally right? I read through the OPUS #1S specs and it has a slightly higher volume ceiling and a better scree, anything else I'm missing?

I may pick up a blue case for my #1 metal, should look pretty good as long as I keep the leather punch away from it ...

My #1 Metal was a bundled deal with a very nicely made grey colored case available several months ago through MusicTeck (on Amazon.) The control buttons are covered, but use is still very responsive to the touch.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #3,833 of 4,190
I feel your pain, although I don't use them myself (I can't see the attraction - other than the fact that you have so many single-file albums). Maybe you can tell me why you like them ?

I much prefer the 'one file per song, one folder per album, all artists have their own folder', and so on. Once you get the system going that works for you then it's easier to maintain.

This player is definitely worth it though. The gapless playback works flawlessly for me, - and it needs to with a lot of my music (especially prog) having no gaps between tracks.

FWIW I use 'Medieval Cue-splitter' if I need to separate, and only use track number/track name as the filenames.
To be honest, I hadn't given it that much thought. Ripping them as a single file with cue sheets is just thebway I was taught. So you're saying there is no work around, and have fun splitting all those files...:/

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #3,834 of 4,190

Forgot to ask -- do you know if Medieval Cue splitter can do batches of files?

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #3,837 of 4,190
I wish I'd found this thread a while ago. Lots of useful information on Opus 1, including a very detailed and profound review on page 56. I'd like to recommended to all the new and prospective users of this DAP.

I bought mine used on the local market, after a great deal of hesitation and confusion caused by other reviews I had read. This particular model is sort of "obsolete" and not available at the portable electronics stores in my country anymore. I was even more reluctant after listening to Opus 1s with its rather different sound signature, which I found too brutal and not as refined as I hoped for. The Bit Opus #1, though has pleased me in more than one way, primarily with its clear and spacious presentation causing absolutely no fatigue even after long hours of listening, but also with its ultra power saving mode and pleasant, simple and logical UI.

The only shortcoming I've found was the size of the buttons (track navigation and volume control) making it kind of awkward to control the DAP in my pocket, especially when the player is in that leather case. I've sorted that one out, though. I took a set of those convex plastic paste-it letters you use for laptop keyboards, cut them to the size and pasted on the leather case - one where the play/pause button is and two more where the volume controls are. It is now very easy to pause or change the volume without getting the DAP out of my pocket. And they do stick, mine have been there for a few weeks already.

This preface leads to my question, though: I have to push the power button, then play, than the power again to turn off the screen in my pocket after a pause longer than 5 seconds or so because of the play button lock. This is still better than pulling it out each time you need to pause but it could be even better if that play/pause button lock could be removed. Is there any way to make the delay longer or cancel the play button lock?

Aug 5, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #3,839 of 4,190
is the plastic opus#1 still great for its price?
I listen mostly to instrumental type music specifically metal/rock..is this dap good for that?
currently thinking either opus#1 or xuelin ihifi990

Aug 5, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #3,840 of 4,190
is the plastic opus#1 still great for its price?
I listen mostly to instrumental type music specifically metal/rock..is this dap good for that?
currently thinking either opus#1 or xuelin ihifi990
Why, it's even better now since you can find really cheap used ones.
Opus#1 does have that drive (with a properly selected pair of earphones, of course) you may want for the kind of music you quoted. It also delivers a really impressive soundstage and instruments separation. I find it very pleasant tonally, too.
I didn't compare the sound to ihifi 990, yet in all other respects I'd prefer Opus with its 2 card slots, good UI and excellent power saving standby mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back