thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Apr 5, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #3,706 of 4,190
the balanced output has stopped working on my opus1 completely.... looks ill be sending it back for repair.

Now lets see how long massdrop takes to get it done...
Do keep us updated, I also got mine from massdrop. I'll be interested in how it goes :)

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #3,708 of 4,190
the balanced output has stopped working on my opus1 completely.... looks ill be sending it back for repair.

Now lets see how long massdrop takes to get it done...

I once sent back my IEMs to massdrop due to some driver failure. Extremely surprised they sent me a replacement unit before I sent mine back. I only had to pay for shipping to massdrop HQ.

Overall pretty quick. Hope they respond that quickly to yours!

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #3,709 of 4,190
I once sent back my IEMs to massdrop due to some driver failure. Extremely surprised they sent me a replacement unit before I sent mine back. I only had to pay for shipping to massdrop HQ.

Overall pretty quick. Hope they respond that quickly to yours!

Thanks all. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes.

Edit: massdrop just Forwarded me onto thebit. I've emailed them directly as they don't seem to have a return process or a section on the website thst covers things like this. No reply as of yet. It says alot about a company on how they deal with aftercare service such as warrantys so let's see what happens.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #3,710 of 4,190
No reply from thebit as of yet. I'll give another day or so before following up.

Has anyone else done a warranty return with thebit directly?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #3,711 of 4,190

I dropped my Opus#1 from about 3 feet onto concrete sidewalk, it hit on the one section not covered by the Dignis case.
It's a bit scratched but nothing serious, still functions as if it were new.
Not exactly 'Takes a licking and keeps on ticking' but sturdy enough.

Wow, that must have been very scary. Glad it still works though... The biggest worry would be the screen.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #3,712 of 4,190
No reply from thebit as of yet. I'll give another day or so before following up.

Has anyone else done a warranty return with thebit directly?

I wonder what kind of service they provide for out-of-warranty repairs ? I bought my Opus#1 used - (I'm in the UK), and it has an issue with the left output which is very noisy.
It may be of interest to some that I get around it by using a home made cable to send half of the balanced signal (from the Balanced socket) and a common ground from the regular out to a 3.5mm flying socket. It does sound fantastic even so. I'd love to have it repaired so I can use balanced headphones, but I fear it would be too expensive. I Was/am a service engineer, so would love to open it up and have a look for anything physical, (such as socket damage) but I can't see a way in ! One day, if I feel brave enough I'll have a go at it... It was very cheap to buy (60 UKP) so it's still a bargain. I may even buy a new one, but I'd have to import it somehow.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #3,713 of 4,190
I wonder what kind of service they provide for out-of-warranty repairs ? I bought my Opus#1 used - (I'm in the UK), and it has an issue with the left output which is very noisy.
It may be of interest to some that I get around it by using a home made cable to send half of the balanced signal (from the Balanced socket) and a common ground from the regular out to a 3.5mm flying socket. It does sound fantastic even so. I'd love to have it repaired so I can use balanced headphones, but I fear it would be too expensive. I Was/am a service engineer, so would love to open it up and have a look for anything physical, (such as socket damage) but I can't see a way in ! One day, if I feel brave enough I'll have a go at it... It was very cheap to buy (60 UKP) so it's still a bargain. I may even buy a new one, but I'd have to import it somehow.

Didn't get a reply from the bit so I went back to massdrop and I'm returning the opus1 back to them for a refund. Massdrop support have been great thebit support has been non existent.

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #3,714 of 4,190
Anyone having issues with the software or the touchscreen? Mine is having very strange actions such as moving and navigating by itself. The problem persisted even after i did a factory reset and took out my SD cards...help pls!

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #3,716 of 4,190
Anyone having issues with the software or the touchscreen? Mine is having very strange actions such as moving and navigating by itself. The problem persisted even after i did a factory reset and took out my SD cards...help pls!

I've only ever had this while trying to use it with slightly wet hands/fingers, which I suppose is the same for any touchscreen device. You may get similar behaviour when moving from relative cold into warm and humid conditions, as condensation might form both inside and outside.
Otherwise, I don't know much about the workings of touchscreens. I have also heard (somewhere on headfi.org) that the non-metal cased version (like mine) can suffer from electro magnetic interference, but I'm not sure if it transmits or receives it... Maybe remove it from the vicinity of your phone or whatever ?

Wish I could be more help.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #3,717 of 4,190
I've only ever had this while trying to use it with slightly wet hands/fingers, which I suppose is the same for any touchscreen device. You may get similar behaviour when moving from relative cold into warm and humid conditions, as condensation might form both inside and outside.
Otherwise, I don't know much about the workings of touchscreens. I have also heard (somewhere on headfi.org) that the non-metal cased version (like mine) can suffer from electro magnetic interference, but I'm not sure if it transmits or receives it... Maybe remove it from the vicinity of your phone or whatever ?

Thanks all! Strangely now it's working fine. Not sure if it's an intermittent issue.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #3,717 of 4,190

I have the metal edition and while if MAY be more resistant to interference, it still picks up interference if I put my phone directly on it.

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #3,718 of 4,190
Hi. I did a Factory Reset on my Opus #1 Metal version and lost the pre-loaded hi-res music files. They were 3 tunes by Jazzotheque. Anyone willing & able to share these by uploading to the cloud? (Or is this even possible?) I do enjoy listening to this music!

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #3,720 of 4,190
Comparing the standard opus and the metal edition, the standard opus has a thinner sound. The standard Opus sounds like it is more transparent and clear but the metal Opus has superior instrument separation though if doesn't sound as clear. Probably due to the soundstage depth. The standard opus sounds clearer and more articulate due to the thinner sound but it's also not as dynamic. Soundstage wise I found the standard opus to be a bit wider than the metal opus but it lacks depth and sounds 2d compared to the metal opus.

Depending on the price it MIGHT be worth it. But generally you're better off moving to a higher tier of DAPs like the X7ii. Getting the the N5ii would generally be a smallish upgrade in sound but will definitely be better than the Metal Opus if you prize clarity and neutral sound over warmth. I have not heard the Opus 1S so I can't comment on that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back