thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Apr 21, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #3,721 of 4,190
Comparing the standard opus and the metal edition, the standard opus has a thinner sound. The standard Opus sounds like it is more transparent and clear but the metal Opus has superior instrument separation though if doesn't sound as clear. Probably due to the soundstage depth. The standard opus sounds clearer and more articulate due to the thinner sound but it's also not as dynamic. Soundstage wise I found the standard opus to be a bit wider than the metal opus but it lacks depth and sounds 2d compared to the metal opus.

Depending on the price it MIGHT be worth it. But generally you're better off moving to a higher tier of DAPs like the X7ii. Getting the the N5ii would generally be a smallish upgrade in sound but will definitely be better than the Metal Opus if you prize clarity and neutral sound over warmth. I have not heard the Opus 1S so I can't comment on that yet.

Thanks again for your thoughts im still debating which rd to take as you can see.
Thought I might pick up a metal. Not certain on the 1s though from what I have read and also spoke to a couple of guys that own both, 1 said he actually still preferred the 1 and the other said not much of an upgrade.

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #3,722 of 4,190
Thanks again for your thoughts im still debating which rd to take as you can see.
Thought I might pick up a metal. Not certain on the 1s though from what I have read and also spoke to a couple of guys that own both, 1 said he actually still preferred the 1 and the other said not much of an upgrade.
He must like a cleaner sound then. I have read that the 1S is much warmer compared to the 1 so that may be the reason, personal preference.

If you're no sure then just save up for an X7ii then. It'll definitely be an upgrade.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #3,723 of 4,190
He must like a cleaner sound then. I have read that the 1S is much warmer compared to the 1 so that may be the reason, personal preference.

If you're no sure then just save up for an X7ii then. It'll definitely be an upgrade.

I read that the 1s is warmer and the 1 more reference sounding, as we already discussed on firmware on the n5ii i subscribed to x7ii thread , I already have owned x7 and it wasn't for me the greatest dap and my main concern it took them ages to get the firmware right .
The x7ii seems to have a couple of bugs too nothing major and liveable but bugs none the less , i also read of hangs and severely long boot up but this may have been cured since posts .
This is one of the reasons I still am considering opus1 metal...its stability.

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #3,724 of 4,190
I read that the 1s is warmer and the 1 more reference sounding, as we already discussed on firmware on the n5ii i subscribed to x7ii thread , I already have owned x7 and it wasn't for me the greatest dap and my main concern it took them ages to get the firmware right .
The x7ii seems to have a couple of bugs too nothing major and liveable but bugs none the less , i also read of hangs and severely long boot up but this may have been cured since posts .
This is one of the reasons I still am considering opus1 metal...its stability.
Ever considered the Opus 2 then? :wink:

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #3,725 of 4,190
Personally I wouldn't call the 1s warmer (and definitely not much warmer) but it has better dynamics (møte impact) and as it often does this results in a less airy and "dreamy" presentation.

Different strokes for different folks but I'd be very hard pressed to say that one is better than the other, just my 2c.....

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #3,727 of 4,190
Personally I wouldn't call the 1s warmer (and definitely not much warmer) but it has better dynamics (møte impact) and as it often does this results in a less airy and "dreamy" presentation.

Different strokes for different folks but I'd be very hard pressed to say that one is better than the other, just my 2c.....

Yes it definitely seems down to preference on this one which is the feedback I got when asking on the 1s thread.
I like the 1 sound but agree on very rare occasions it can sound thin.

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #3,728 of 4,190
I most definitely have but alas my criteria has to have 2 x card slots else dx200 would have been in the mix too.
Questyle QP1R perhaps?

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #3,731 of 4,190
Question for you guys I own oppy1 and love it, I'm thinking of maybe buying a metal version while they are so cheap but is there realy much difference? I have been told very mixed views already.
I went for the Sony ZX 300 from the Opus 1 and I'm pleased with it. It was the ZX 300 A from Joybuy with a $20 first purchase coupon for $366. I would say less warm and a bit crisper but that is with 4.4 balanced, can't say much about single end. I think it's nice to have different sound options.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #3,732 of 4,190
I went for the Sony ZX 300 from the Opus 1 and I'm pleased with it. It was the ZX 300 A from Joybuy with a $20 first purchase coupon for $366. I would say less warm and a bit crisper but that is with 4.4 balanced, can't say much about single end. I think it's nice to have different sound options.

Not considered this at all does it have 2 memory card slots? As it's one of my key needs .

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #3,734 of 4,190
Did you have balanced iems with you when using the 4.4 output? Or was it using a 4.4 to 3.5mm adapter?

Personally i tried and I think the ZX300 (3.5mm output) is about as warm as the Opus 1 metal edition or perhaps even warmer sounding with its boosted bass. I didnt do a side by side test of the ZX300 and the metal opus but id say the ZX300 wins in texture and timbre in less complicated music but loses to the metal opus in complicated music such as movie soundtracks or orchestras. That is one aspect which I thought was really odd. For common songs it performs very well but when it comes to instruments it really sucks. It sounds too congested as if you were listening through heavy curtains with complicated instrumental music. Notes and instruments become blended together as if the orchestra was performing backstage or something.The same goes for music with too much midbass, it loses its clarity rapidly. I tried the 4.4 balanced output using the adapter and id say it IS improved a little but it still comes off as congested.

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #3,735 of 4,190
Did you have balanced iems with you when using the 4.4 output? Or was it using a 4.4 to 3.5mm adapter?

Personally i tried and I think the ZX300 (3.5mm output) is about as warm as the Opus 1 metal edition or perhaps even warmer sounding with its boosted bass. I didnt do a side by side test of the ZX300 and the metal opus but id say the ZX300 wins in texture and timbre in less complicated music but loses to the metal opus in complicated music such as movie soundtracks or orchestras. That is one aspect which I thought was really odd. For common songs it performs very well but when it comes to instruments it really sucks. It sounds too congested as if you were listening through heavy curtains with complicated instrumental music. Notes and instruments become blended together as if the orchestra was performing backstage or something.The same goes for music with too much midbass, it loses its clarity rapidly. I tried the 4.4 balanced output using the adapter and id say it IS improved a little but it still comes off as congested.
I only listen using the balanced with Andromeda and balanced ALO ref 8. I still use the Opus 1 and love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back